Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-09-2019, 12:21 AM   #181
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team leader in that video received a medal of Honor as well. When they leave that video they don't get picked up for another 14 hours and both his remaining teammates were already heavily wounded.

Side note, one of my favourite shooter video game's, the Medal of Honor reboot in 2010,was based loosely around that battle. Not sure how it's aged since I haven't played it in years but I remember it being extremely well done. Too bad the sequel was then one of the worst games ever

Last edited by btimbit; 07-09-2019 at 12:26 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:30 PM   #182
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

US kicks Turkey out of the JSF/F-35 program after they buy S-400 from the Russians

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/turkey...stem-1.5215407

Quote:
In a significant break with a longtime NATO ally, the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump said Turkey can no longer be part of the American F-35 fighter jet program.

In a written statement released Wednesday, the White House said that Turkey's decision to buy the Russian S-400 air defence system "renders its continued involvement with the F-35 impossible."

The White House did not say explicitly that Turkey will be kicked out of the F-35 program, but the Pentagon was expected to do so.

Quote:
"The F-35 cannot coexist with a Russian intelligence collection platform that will be used to learn about its advanced capabilities," the White House statement said, referring to the S-400 air defence system as a means for Russia to probe U.S. capabilities.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #183
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sigh. I get the strategic value of the location and all, but I can't stand Turkey being a NATO member
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 05:22 PM   #184
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada can get back into the F-35 program now with all the 120 of Turkeys production queue allocations opening up. Along with the 4 Turkish training fighters in the US.

We could always wait for the Gen 5 Rafale though.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #185
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough luck, Canada got the hand cranks adapted and got some Aussie F-18's in the air. Announced they extended them to 2032.

Hopefully that tune changes after the election
Old 07-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #186
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Canada can get back into the F-35 program now with all the 120 of Turkeys production queue allocations opening up. Along with the 4 Turkish training fighters in the US.

We could always wait for the Gen 5 Rafale though.

They're not interested in bidding they dropped out

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #187
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well... if there's one thing Canadian military procurement loves it's other countries sloppy seconds.

F-35's in desert camo and Turkish labels it is, send it.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:32 PM   #188
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Turks ordered the F-35A's which are slightly different then the CF-35's.

The in air refueling drogue is customized and we have a tail hook requirement for short runway use. As well the software will be slightly different. Canada also uses a unique paint scheme that would be done by MD for us.

I think there are people that know more about the differences then I do on this board.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:44 PM   #189
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Well... if there's one thing Canadian military procurement loves it's other countries sloppy seconds.

F-35's in desert camo and Turkish labels it is, send it.
Hmm. Sounds risky. We better pay Bombardier billions to poorly re build them first to make sure they're safe

Last edited by btimbit; 07-17-2019 at 11:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 11:33 PM   #190
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The Turks ordered the F-35A's which are slightly different then the CF-35's.

The in air refueling drogue is customized and we have a tail hook requirement for short runway use. As well the software will be slightly different. Canada also uses a unique paint scheme that would be done by MD for us.
Beggars can't be choosy. Knock 10% off the price to take over the Turkish quota and watch DND issue the "Shut up an take my money memes".

I kid of course. JT needs to have his flyoff to validate the decision politcally. Unless Boeing and the others all bail on the flyoff like they've threatened to. That gives JT the latitude to jump on an F-35 bargain like Chiarelli on a bad deal.

From what Wiki tells me, the CF-35 is based on the F-35A but would adopt the USN's probe and drogue in flight refueling system along with a drag chute for short runway landings. The C variant just loses too much in performance and payload. Sounds do-able as a retrofit, though as with anything F-35 related it'll cost a gazillion dollars per frame to do so.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 07-17-2019 at 11:36 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:03 AM   #191
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The CF-18 had an arrester hook similar to what you see in the naval variation of the F-18. I expect that the CF-35 has an arrester hook as well.

And yeah, the CF-35 is the A variation of the F-35.

Right now, in terms of cost the cheapest fighter is the Gripen the most expensive would be the super hornet. Neither has the capabilities of the F-35, both in terms of being a 5th generation fighter, and in terms of the ability to interoperate.

right now, we're so far down on the future cue for the F-35 that we might literally get the planes at the end of the manufacturing run.

Also the Trudeau government saying that the Cf-18's and their Aussie add on can be effective over the next 16 years is foolish, but it doesn't much matter, we're having trouble recruiting and keeping pilots anyways.

When you have the equivalency of a 4 squadron air force and you can't man your planes you have major problems.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:13 AM   #192
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.cgai.ca/rcafs_pilot_shor...elt_in_romania

Quote:
Mihail Kogălniceanu Air Base, Romania – The first Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) pilot to have intercepted a frontline Russian fighter jet in nearly half a century has laid out the stark challenges facing those who lead Canada’s fighter jet community. As the auditor general concluded in a blistering report published this week, the country has lost so many experienced pilots and technicians that it can no longer defend Canadian air space and carry out NATO missions in Europe.

Quote:
Ironically, Woods, who as commander is usually involved in administrative matters and planning, was on alert to scramble “because of the loss of so many experienced pilots. I am having to fly more to help with that. I am having to fly about twice a week. The kids are flying four or five times a week.”
Canada’s acute fighter jet pilot and technician shortage was a hot topic in Romania as it has been at bases back in Canada.

“I have no plans to release though this is something that is definitely discussed among the pilots,” said a captain who only has 600 hours on the CF-18. “One-quarter of our pilots – 23 of them – released last year. Most of those who are leaving are mid-level to senior pilots. They are the ones who are the trainers, so finding enough trainers is hard. It is a major problem.”

Quote:
In a paradox that was not lost on anyone in Romania, some Canadian pilots have been considering whether to join the Royal Australian Air Force because it would give them a chance to fly highly advanced F-35 fighter jets. To fill what the government has claimed is a capability gap, Ottawa decided last fall to spend $500 million to buy 25 RAAF Hornets that the Australians were getting rid of because Canberra had decided to buy the much more capable F-35. Canada has dithered for years over how to replace its Hornets.

“Is that affecting releases? I’d say yes,” said the pilot, who was several years younger than the jet that he flew.

I talked to a friend of mind last year who started out in the reserves who I trained, and then transitioned to the Air Force and ended up flying 18's until he had a driving accident that ended his career.

We talked about it and his feeling is that when the Liberal's started messing around with the F-35 procurement veteran pilots threw their hands up and walked away because they saw where this was going. Either the Liberal's would try to extend the life of the F-18's, or buy a cheap fighter that's already on the way to obsolescence in the modern world.

If you're going to have a small airforce, and you're going to buy relatively few fighters, and then ride them for 40 years, you almost have to buy at the bleeding edge and have a good upgrade capability. The Libs did that with the purchase of the F-18's back in the day.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 12:20 AM   #193
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ouch. Losing guys to commercial is one thing, but losing guys to Australia so they can fly better aircraft? That stings. Can't blame them for thinking about it though
Old 07-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #194
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1151751874032353280

Old 07-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #195
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a nice thought but I've lost all ability to stay positive when it comes to jets. I'm preparing myself for some insanely stupid announcement like paying Bombardier some inflated amount to contract build Gripens
Old 07-22-2019, 09:02 PM   #196
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

North Korea might be working on a ballistic missile submarine.

https://calgaryherald.com/pmn/news-p...box=1563848608

Quote:
Analysts said that based on the apparent size of the new submarine it appears designed to eventually carry missiles.

“We can clearly see that it is a massive submarine – much larger than the existing one that’s been well known since 2014,” said Ankit Panda, senior fellow at the U.S.-based Federation of American Scientists.

“What I find significant about the political messaging here is that this is the first time since a February 2018 military parade that he has inspected a military system clearly designed to carry and deliver nuclear weapons.”

“I take that as an ominous signal that we should be taking Kim Jong Un’s end-of-year deadline for the implementation of a change in U.S. policy with the utmost seriousness.”
North Korea has made rapid progress in the SLBM program and in 2016, after a few years of development, successfully test-fired a ballistic missile from a submarine, while pursuing an intercontinental ballistic missile program (ICBM).

Old 09-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #197
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://sgs.princeton.edu/the-lab/plan-a

Spoiler alert: Canada seems OK.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #198
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Awww. They age so fast.

The War in Afghanistan is now old enough to vote and buy lung darts.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #199
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The preliminary actions of a Turkish invasion of northeast Syria have begun with air and artillery strikes in the vicinity of Ras al-Ayn to Tal Abyad.

Turk major goal will be to interrupt the M4 highway that runs parallel to the border. The M4, which is about 20-30 km from the border, allows for troop movements between the east and the west of the SDF-held areas.

Ragıp Soylu @ragipsoylu - 11:34 UTC · Oct 8, 2019
How will Turkey conduct the operation in Syria?
• First phase: 120km area between Tal Abyad/Rasulayn, where US troops withdrew
• Airforce, drones/jets and howitzers will pound YPG targets
• Then Turkish Special Forces and Syrian National Army will enter
— Turkish reports

Ragıp Soylu @ragipsoylu - 10:29 UTC · Oct 9, 2019
More Turkish operational plans in Syria
• First point of contact would be the Turkish/US security zone in Tal Abyad, Rasulayn
• Security pockets prioritised
• MAIN AIM is to cut Kobane - Hasakah road
• Combined Joint Op Center, (CJOC) to be used for de-confliction with US

As is tradition with Turk operations, they have given this operation a peaceful sounding name, too: Spring of Peace.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #200
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is Turkey's stated goal with the invasion? ISIS? I mean, we all know they are going after the Kurds, but what is their international justification?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote