Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2023, 10:37 AM   #14961
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I thought wingers like that want to be the 4th guy rather than the main guy.
Means they're on a better team and they have less pressure.
Exactly. The guy is a loser if he has to be the best player on the team or he is not happy. Winners want to be surrounded by the best.

I wonder how accurate that reporting is because it is hard to believe a guy could make the NHL with that attitude.

Last edited by Eric Vail; 05-16-2023 at 10:41 AM.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 11:13 AM   #14962
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
Exactly. The guy is a loser if he has to be the best player on the team or he is not happy. Winners want to be surrounded by the best.

I wonder how accurate that reporting is because it is hard to believe a guy could make the NHL with that attitude.
“Friedman wonders if”

There’s no report. The guy is speculating that he may want a change of scenery where he’s maybe on PP1…. You’ve somehow twisted this into “how did he even make the league”?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2023, 11:17 AM   #14963
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

It’s also the first time I’ve heard of the idea of someone wanting to be “the guy” as something that makes him a loser.

Must be an Oiler fan. They only like guys who are just happy to be there. Especially under the tutelage of coach/ref/all star Connor McDavid.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2023, 11:18 AM   #14964
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it's just Friedman doing Friedman things as usual. He wonders a lot, and then it turns into rumour.

Having said that, I do think some players think that way, and I don't think it makes them "losers" or bad team mates. In principle, I don't think there is anything wrong with being ambitious if they can put their money where their mouth is.
Old 05-16-2023, 11:25 AM   #14965
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It’s also the first time I’ve heard of the idea of someone wanting to be “the guy” as something that makes him a loser.

Must be an Oiler fan. They only like guys who are just happy to be there. Especially under the tutelage of coach/ref/all star Connor McDavid.
It’s literally the main trait of most greats.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2023, 11:25 AM   #14966
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of wanting a bigger role is financial. Stats = money. Ice time = stats. First Line = ice time.

Nylander's 16-18 minutes per game. Matthews/Marner get 2-3 minutes more. So a bigger role, even on a shorter contract, might lead to a bigger payday.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2023, 11:48 AM   #14967
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah must be an Oiler fan. You really sniffed that one out.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2023, 11:53 AM   #14968
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Part of wanting a bigger role is financial. Stats = money. Ice time = stats. First Line = ice time.

Nylander's 16-18 minutes per game. Matthews/Marner get 2-3 minutes more. So a bigger role, even on a shorter contract, might lead to a bigger payday.
There's more to it than that.

It must be insanely frustrating to not get called on when the game is on the line. Imagine 2 minutes left in the game, the coach is giving the gameplan, Nylander is ready to go....and he sits. Being forced to watch Tavares, Marner, and Matthews not finish the big plays, when you know you have something to contribute, must be extremely frustrating.

He's looking for first line minutes. He has the talent for first line minutes, but he's been stuck behind Toronto's depth.

I don't think even Nylander believes he's a franchise player. He sure would look great playing wing to a franchise centre on the first line though.

I'd welcome him in Calgary. If Kylington is coming back and the Flames can make a deal for one of our defenders, I'd be all over that. Maybe move out Hanifin. Bring in Kylington and re-sign Stecher. You might have to find a taker for Coleman or, if Backlund makes it clear he's leaving, move him.

Top 9 including: Lindholm, Toffoli, Huberdeau, Nylander, Mangiapane, Kadri, Dube and potentially a bunch of call ups like Corronato, Pelletier, Duehr, Ruzika, and Zary looks pretty solid.

As for the money part. Nylander is already putting up a PPG in his secondary role. Everyone knows he's due for a raise and his range is set. He's not a $10+ million franchise guy. He's going to get an offer of around 8-9 million. If anything, moving teams represents a risk for him.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:04 PM   #14969
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default 2022/2023 Trade Speculation and Rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
There's more to it than that.

It must be insanely frustrating to not get called on when the game is on the line. Imagine 2 minutes left in the game, the coach is giving the gameplan, Nylander is ready to go....and he sits. Being forced to watch Tavares, Marner, and Matthews not finish the big plays, when you know you have something to contribute, must be extremely frustrating.

He's looking for first line minutes. He has the talent for first line minutes, but he's been stuck behind Toronto's depth.

I don't think even Nylander believes he's a franchise player. He sure would look great playing wing to a franchise centre on the first line though.

I'd welcome him in Calgary. If Kylington is coming back and the Flames can make a deal for one of our defenders, I'd be all over that. Maybe move out Hanifin. Bring in Kylington and re-sign Stecher. You might have to find a taker for Coleman or, if Backlund makes it clear he's leaving, move him.

Top 9 including: Lindholm, Toffoli, Huberdeau, Nylander, Mangiapane, Kadri, Dube and potentially a bunch of call ups like Corronato, Pelletier, Duehr, Ruzika, and Zary looks pretty solid.

As for the money part. Nylander is already putting up a PPG in his secondary role. Everyone knows he's due for a raise and his range is set. He's not a $10+ million franchise guy. He's going to get an offer of around 8-9 million. If anything, moving teams represents a risk for him.

I could be on board for that.

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Nylander
Mangiapane - Kadi - Toffolli
Pelletier - Backlund - Coronato
Dube - Ruzicka - Coleman

Weegar - Andersson
Kylington - Tanev
Zadorov - Stecher
Stone

Markstrom
Wolf

Under a new coaching staff I wouldn’t be surprised to see that team find some success. Has an expansion type vibe of having scoring on all 4 lines. That team is probably over the cap, but I’m sure there is some tinkering you can do to get under.

Last edited by bax; 05-16-2023 at 12:11 PM.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2023, 12:08 PM   #14970
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

If it's true maybe somebody should take Nylander aside and have a little chat. If you're the "4th guy" on a team that is still getting knocked out in the first couple rounds of the playoffs what makes you think you'll be on a championship calibre team if you're "the guy"?

No William, you're not as good as Matthews or Marner, sorry.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2023, 12:11 PM   #14971
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I could be on board for that.

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Nylander
Mangiapane - Kadi - Toffolli
Pelletier - Backlund - Coronato
Dube - Ruzicka - Coleman

Weegar - Andersson
Kylington - Tanev
Zadorov - Stecher
Stone

Markstrom
Wolf

Under a new coaching staff I wouldn’t be surprised to see that team find some success. Has an expansion type vibe of having scoring on all 4 lines.
Haven't done the math, but I don't think we can fit all of Nylander, Coleman, and Backlund under the cap.

Looks like a great lineup, and if Huberdeau and Nylander have chemistry that would be a pretty formidable 1st line duo with lots of skill.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:12 PM   #14972
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Haven't done the math, but I don't think we can fit all of Nylander, Coleman, and Backlund under the cap.

Looks like a great lineup, and if Huberdeau and Nylander have chemistry that would be a pretty formidable 1st line duo with lots of skill.

You’re right, I was just in the process of editing my post. I think it would end up slightly over the cap, but I’m sure you can do some tinkering to make it work, maybe even find a broker to retain some of Nylander’s salary.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:18 PM   #14973
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
If it's true maybe somebody should take Nylander aside and have a little chat. If you're the "4th guy" on a team that is still getting knocked out in the first couple rounds of the playoffs what makes you think you'll be on a championship calibre team if you're "the guy"?

No William, you're not as good as Matthews or Marner, sorry.
No team is one guy. And history is littered with guys who were a little bit buried on the team they were on and showed they had even more to give in a new environment. There are several of those types of guys still in the playoffs right now. The Leafs were just beaten by a team led by those types of guys.

He doesn’t have to be as good as Matthews or Marner to make a difference. But yeah, someone should pull him aside and give him a good talking to if he dares think he could contribute more with more opportunity. Makes total sense. Totally normal thing to say.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2023, 12:24 PM   #14974
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

IF the Leafs actually wanted to move him, the cost would be ridiculously steep and so much so that it is likely prohibitive considering he would be a UFA and could walk for nothing at the end of next year.

Personally, I think it would cost you Wolf and Hanifin (and probably a pick) to make this happen. Are you swinging a deal like this (even without a pick) for possibly 1 season of Nylander? I'm not.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:24 PM   #14975
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Nylander is also 27 years old. He's running out of time to be a first line winger. I can see why he wouldn't want to spend his entire career having never played on the first line or the #1 PP unit.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:26 PM   #14976
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
IF the Leafs actually wanted to move him, the cost would be ridiculously steep and so much so that it is likely prohibitive considering he would be a UFA and could walk for nothing at the end of next year.

Personally, I think it would cost you Wolf and Hanifin (and probably a pick) to make this happen. Are you swinging a deal like this (even without a pick) for possibly 1 season of Nylander? I'm not.
You never know how the market values top 4 d-men. We've seen them bring back crazy returns.

But yeah, I agree, if the price involves a top prospect, you likely don't do it.

After a few years of the Flames either sucking or being forced to play in the mud, I would really like to see some skill back in the lineup. Nylander looks like a good solution.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:34 PM   #14977
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post

Wolf and Hanafin? That's overpayment for a winger. Hanafin straight across maybe.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2023, 12:38 PM   #14978
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Wolf and Hanafin? That's overpayment for a winger. Hanafin straight across maybe.
And why does Toronto do that? Of all things they don't need an LD.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:40 PM   #14979
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
And why does Toronto do that? Of all things they don't need an LD.
Why are you asking me? I didn't propose the deal. I just said that Hanafin and Wolf is an overpayment for Nylander. Hanafin is a legit 26 year old top 3 defenseman in this league. Nylander is a very good winger but there's more of them than there are defenseman of Hanfin's caliber.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-16-2023 at 12:42 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:47 PM   #14980
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah these are some weird takes.

Is it just Leaf hate?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote