Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2019, 04:57 PM   #181
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feuk

Decent overall set of skills. Physically more mature at the same age than some of the other Swedes. Plays a more in your face style of game and is more defensively oriented. Needs to work on offense to get to next level, but not terrible.

Gawdin

Perhaps a replacement on the fourth line for Hathaway. Smart player. Good defensively. No higher end upside.

Koumontzis

Higher level of skill shown consistently this year than last year. Starting to emerge as a legitimate prospect. Quick on his feet and quick transitions. Still could be better on that front though to get that skill to be a true asset. Dynamic and slippery. Could eventually emerge as a potential top 9 forward like Mangiapane. Doesn't have the speed that Eat Bread does. Intriguing prospect.

Nielsen

It really is disappointing that a player like this is coming up now instead of 20 years ago. His lack of foot speed is the main obstacle to his moving forward. The rest of his skills are good enough to play at the NHL level even as a #7. Doubtful he ever makes it past the AHL level.

Nodler

This is a weird prospect. If you were observing only his raw skills, you'd swear that you were looking at a guy drafted between 30 and 55 in the draft. Above average footwork. Good shot, decent passing. All the checkmarks that you're looking for. If he can bring that consistently, he'll join the cast of potential top 9 forwards. Very raw and inconsistent though.

Pettersen

Not the same player that was selected in the 6th round last summer. A re-draft would probably have him moved into the 20th overall range. The quickest prospect both in terms of adjustment movements and raw speed. He's also the most smooth of all skaters. His skating could play at the NHL level right now. If that was it, he might be a candidate for a depth spot if he could learn defense. However, his stickhandling, shot, passing ability are all well above average. Needs to get bigger and make small improvements to his overall offensive game. One of the best forward prospects I have watched at any development camp. If he hits his potential, we're talking about a good top 6 forward.

Pospisil

Physical and big. Decent in all areas. Not spectacular in any of them. Likely heading down the same path as the other tough physical guys that have been picked. Good AHL level guy. He needs to improve enter the conversation of being a depth NHL level forward.

Roman

Some skill in several areas. Balanced player with no obvious weaknesses, but unfortunately not many outright strengths. Development in any area would help his case to become an NHL player down the road.

Lindstrom

He was there. Needs to have a good season in Sweden.

Mattson

Big and Physical. Needs to show some offensive ability in the NCAA. If he figures things out, his size will make him a monster. Have to see.

Pelletier

Not a player that is going to make the NHL in the next couple years. Lots of visible skill. Very raw. When he puts it together, he'll be fun. Similar profile as Bennett. If his offense translates, Tkachuk will have a friend in a couple years.

Phillips

Will make the NHL. Just a matter of when. If the Flames run into injury troubles, I would not be surprised to see him up this season. Probably will spend most of this season in the A, but it won't be long. He needs someone to play with as he can create plays by himself, but needs a finisher to put them away. Sort of like Johnny lite. Never thought I'd write that sentence meaning both figuratively and literally.

Philp

Decent skill overall. Tenacious and dedicated. I'm not sure of his upper end potential, but he could eventually find his way into the NHL. Whether he sticks or not depends on how developed his skills become. Similar profile as Foo, but Philp is more skilled offensively.

Ruzicka

Needs to show more in terms of engagement on the ice. There are skills there that could potentially translate, but his game is a little too passive. If he figures things out, he will be useful because of his size. Not sure whether he has that in him though.

Sveningsson

Higher quality offensive forward. Still needs to improve in all areas to become more that an above average AHL player, which is where his current skill set is trending.

All the goalies were good. Zagidulin is the most composed of the group, but each had flashes of brilliance. No horrible performances from any of the goalies. Just have to see how they do during the season. All get positive reviews.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 07-07-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #182
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Highlights:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1148003761509548033

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status...03761509548033
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #183
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Liked Pospisil's game. Nifty goal by Koumontzis too.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #184
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the very end of that vid I don’t think Phillips scores but my god what a sick deke! So excited about this player... I really believe his skills will translate to the NHL.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #185
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ben Brown
@BBProspects98
Prospect Outlook 5/31:
Calgary Flames

Overall: B
Forwards: B
Defense: B+
Goalies: B

Top 10:

1. J. Valimaki
2. D. Dube
3. O. Kylington
4. J. Pelletier
5. M. Phillips
6. M.E Pettersson
7. A. Ruzicka
8. M. Pospisil
9. F. Sveningsson
10. T. Parsons

Calgary has a deep prospect pool for a top team. Their D gets a B+ thanks to Valimaki and Kylington looking like future top 4 guys, but it falls off after that. Dube is ready to take the next step and their F depth is very strong after that.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #186
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Bringing in Iya Gavrilova as a translator has allowed Russian players to thrive at development camp
https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/brid...ap/c-308202282

Quote:
Gavrilova has proven to be a perfect conduit, owning a rich extensive hockey background, participating as she has in three Winter Olympic Games for her homeland - 2006 in Turin, 2010 in Vancouver and 2014 in Sochi - along with collecting two World Women's Championship bronze medals.

She's also played with distinction for the U of C Dinos while obtaining a second degree, a BA in Economics, and a season in the now-shuttered Canadian Women's Hockey League for the Calgary Inferno.
Quote:
The experience has been a kick for Gavrilova, too. She now works in the energy sector as an analyst and has made Calgary her home.

"These guys have been really good this week,'' she emphasizes. "Really open-minded, which helps in meetings. They've been encouraged to ask questions, not be afraid. 'We're here to help you.' That's been the message and they've taken it to heart.

"They've really enjoyed themselves. The first thing they noticed, they talked about, is how much everyone has taken care of them. They weren't expecting this. One of them said the first day: 'People have done so much for us, it's crazy.'

"Just the kindness of Canadians and the organization. I think they've possibly been shocked by that, in a good way.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:50 PM   #187
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Updated my other post with my thoughts on all our prospects.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 03:49 AM   #188
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

The three best players were Koumontzis, Pettersen, and Phillips.

Pettersen is fast and skilled-pulled out a few amazing passes, was noticable every shift. Even though he's small, he's pretty strong and very hard to knock off the puck. Low center of gravity plays a part, but he's been visiting the gym.

Koumontzis was amazing-one shift he blocked a shot that obviously stung him, but 10 seconds later he was carrying the puck through the neutral zone and attacking the net. Good skater, and works his ass off.

We already know what to expect from Phillips-very dynamic and smart.

One player I wanted to call attention to was D Jerad Rosburg. Played great in all 3 zones, blocked shots, had a TON of takeaways, created shots and chances in the O zone, moved extremely well. It seemed like we were always noticing him throughout the game....

Also thought the European D-men looked good-Kinvall, Lerby, and Yelesin.

Last edited by Sandman; 07-08-2019 at 03:52 AM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 05:46 AM   #189
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

per Kristen Andersen, Koumontzis is a late invite for team USA at the World Junior Summer Showcase.

Which means a long with Wolf (who is also attending) he is on the radar for the US WJC team.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #190
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Koumontzis has come way out of left field for me, based on what you've all been saying.

I know it's early days but it's looking like we did a lot with a little at the draft last year.

Last edited by iloveicedhockey; 07-08-2019 at 07:28 AM.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #191
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for all the write ups, you guys! I'll be completely honest, I had no idea Mitchell Mattson was still in the organization. Curious if we actually have something there. Seems like he has taken forever to get to the NCAA and didn't do much last year as well. Will be interesting to see how the 19-20 season goes for him.
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #192
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for the videos and updates guys!
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #193
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I think a bunch of people missed how good Koumontzis and Petterson were in the NCAA last year.

Both finished top 8 in U19 scoring.

Farabee - 0.97 PPG - 2018 Round 1: 14 overall
Miller - 0.85 PPG - 2018 Round 1 : 22 Overall
Pettersen - 0.75 PPG - 2018 Round 6: 167 overall
Drury - 0.75 PPG - 2018 Round 2: 42 Overall
Iskhakov - 0.66 PPG - 2018 Round 2: 43 Overall
McLaughlin - 0.57 PPG - 2018 Round 3: 79 Overall
Koumontzis - 0.57 PPG - 2018 Round 4: 108 Overall
Wahlstrom - 0.53 PPG - 2018 Round 1: 11 Overall

Pretty much have two guys that put up similar production to guys taken in the top 50.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #194
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks everyone for their reports. Does anyone know if they lined pettersen up at wing or centre? I remember he was drafted as a centre but used on wing last year at Denver, wonder if the org see him at wing or centre in the long run. A fast, dynamic offensive centre would be just what the doctor ordered
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #195
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
Thanks everyone for their reports. Does anyone know if they lined pettersen up at wing or centre? I remember he was drafted as a centre but used on wing last year at Denver, wonder if the org see him at wing or centre in the long run. A fast, dynamic offensive centre would be just what the doctor ordered
Pettersen was mostly lining up at left wing yesterday.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #196
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I thought I'd do a ranking of forward prospects purely based on NHLe in their draft year. I wanted to do this to isolate their promise when they were drafted. This ignores the way forwards have developed since then and the amount of time the various forwards have had to develop. I don't mean that development is not extremely important, but I was just curious:

Pelletier - 27.51
Philp (Draft Year: 2014, born just after Leon Draisaitl) - 25.79
Phillips - 25.10
Dube - 24.15
Ruzicka - 18.92
Nodler - 17.22
Emilio Pettersen - 17.00
Pospisil - 16.72
Zavgorodniy - 15.23
Gawdin - 15.07
Koumontzis - 11.21
Lindstrom - 10.07
Feuk - 9.16
Nikolaev - 9.00
Sveningsson - 7.18
Tuulola - 3.83

There are tiers:

1: Dube, Phillips, Philp, Pelletier
2: Ruzicka, Nodler, Emilio Pettersen, Pospisil, Zavgorodniy, Gawdin
3: Koumontzis, Lindstrom, Feuk, Nikolaev, Svenningsson
4: Tuulola

The number 1 surprise was to see Philp with the number 2 best draft-year NHLe. I'm really interested to see him at camp. If Phillips were a dark horse to make the team, then so is Philp.

It looks like the European players are getting substantially underrated by NHLe. I was particularly surprised to see Nikolaev that low based on how he performed at international tournaments.

I don't know much about NHLe but does it typically hold water, or is it just smoke?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #197
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I don't know much about NHLe but does it typically hold water, or is it just smoke?
It's a relatively good predictor of production at the point of entry into the NHL, since NHLe is re-computated regularly on the basis of actual production of rookies from the past season, so the sample size also continues to grow.

But it is important to know that the figure is an AVERAGE. Like all averages there are anomalies at either end of the datapoints, and there will always be players who out-perform or underperform their projection.

In the present instance, it is interesting purely for comparative purposes between these. particular players, but bear in mind also that a players' NHLe is likely to improve quite dramatically after his draft year. NHLe is most useful when projecting players who are at the point of entry into the NHL, which then factors into consideration different numbers than those from his draft year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #198
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
NHLe at ages 17, 18 & 19 is a better predictor of NHL success than draft position, although human biases (i.e. size) may act as a glass ceiling for some and a free pass for others.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #199
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
NHLe at ages 17, 18 & 19 is probably a better predictor of NHL success than draft position.
Have the predictions been put up against the actual and been accurate?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #200
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Have the predictions been put up against the actual and been accurate?
The predictors are compiled from the production differences of every NHL rookie making the jump from his last playing League. So, the numbers themselves ARE the actual data. In my experience, they tend more often than not to be fairly representative of what to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote