Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon48 UPDATE: NHLPA votes for further negotiations on 24-team return to play format

Greg Wyshynski @wyshynski
Confirming @FriedgeHNIC report that the NHL's "neutral site" (i.e. non-NHL arena) plan for summer restart is dead. No North Dakota. No New Hampshire.

Plan never got out of the concept stages due to lack of accommodations, and challenges in staging and televising games.

Greg Wyshynski
@wyshynski
Latest push is for NHL to return to 2-4 of its arenas in areas where the COVID-19 outbreak has been managed and restrictions would allow it. Very much targeting completion of the regular season. No timetable. NHLPA needs to sign off on any of it.

Emily Kaplan @emilymkaplan
Hearing the favorites are Raleigh, Minnesota, Edmonton and TBD in the Atlantic Division

Andy Slater
@AndySlater
JUST IN: NHL looking at restarting season in July.

Games would be played at 4 or 5 neutral sites with limited or no fans, according to Florida Panthers president Matt Caldwell.

On the conference call, he said this plan is not finalized.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:39 AM   #2
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

And of course, because Dreger didn't break this he is being the first to poo poo it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that restrictions are very close to being relaxed in Winnipeg
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Huh.....

I'm assuming they'd go with a model of multiple games a day in the same stadium. Would give the whole thing kind of an international tournament kind of feel.

If it can be done safely, I'm all for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
Toonage

Exp:

Sounded like they want one arena in each division (I think Friedman suggested this)?
Old 04-22-2020, 11:49 AM   #6
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the NHL doesnt want fans in the building, it only makes sense to pick Florida
Old 04-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #7
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think at this point I would rather the season just be forgotten.

Too long of a break, public gyms and ice closed. Players are unlikely to be in game shape. Playing without and audience would have a scrimmage possibly emotionless feel.
I have low confidence that the Flames can start hot after so much time off.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if they have considered the few arenas belong to non-playoff teams. Otherwise, its a pretty big advantage for some.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:05 PM   #9
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Focus should be on figuring out the logistics of 20-21 and if it can happen in some shortened manner. Any time spent examining this season is wasted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 12:08 PM   #10
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they are not going to have fans i think they should hold the games in some community arena. Get the players used to terrible conditions and their impending 50% paycut.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #11
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just cancel the damn thing and focus on next year already.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #12
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't see how those are neutral sites. Unless they are having the teams playing in a location that is outside of their conference/division. It would be quite the home advantage for the Oilers if the Pacific division playoffs were played there.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #13
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I don't see how those are neutral sites. Unless they are having the teams playing in a location that is outside of their conference/division. It would be quite the home advantage for the Oilers if the Pacific division playoffs were played there.
There's still going to be no fans in the building, so I doubt it matters much.

That said, just kill the season, it's over. Worry about a plan for 20/21.

Edit: I guess the tweet says 'limited' fans. Not sure what that means. I guess that might be a small advantage for the home teams of those buildings.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #14
Toonage

Exp:

Re: preparing for next season

Some thoughts

Next season, maybe in its entirety, will be played in empty arenas. How does the league, and the players, prepare for this and how can the league try to monetize this? Sell additional ad spaces on the tarps & curtains? Sounds dumb but its worth considering. Gate losses will need to be offset somewhat and somehow. The completion of this season and the playoffs give them a chance to test this.

The NHL will also take this time to prove to potential bidders for their next TV deal that they can run the league day to day, game to game and provide a proper television experience given less than ideal circumstances.

They have a lot to prove and a lot to recoup by trying to complete this year.

Last edited by Toonage; 04-22-2020 at 12:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #15
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Just cancel the damn thing and focus on next year already.
In my mind, this season is already done. All of this is just chatter.

They should spend this time working on next years product, which will likely also be some kind of Frankenstein version of a regular season. I would guess that pre-season and up to half of the regular season will be in front of empty stadiums, so they should start figuring out a way of not only making the experience excellent for the television audience, but how to make the players on the ice feel engaged.

How about setting up an option for fans to mic into the arena sound system, and create a cacophony of sound reacting to the game. Muffle the individual words so that there is no swearing, but allow there to be a natural flow to the cheering to keep the audience and players engaged.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #16
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm for it. There's nothing saying they can't do this AND work on a plan for next season. Heck this may be a trial for next season. Have heard some really good interviews and insight today on Writer's Block surrounding these ideas. Florida, though taking a ton of criticism, has deemed pro sports and entertainment as an essential service (not just the WWE) and with th e stroke of a pen any other state could do the same. They've been down playing the neutral sight idea but really Saskatoon really suits the bill for this type of event. Winnipeg would also be ideal as These two areas really seem to have things under control when it comes to Covid spread, Brunt as mentioned St Johns NL as they have not had a new case in 4-5 days now with only like 50 cases total in th province.

Playing in empty arenas will lead to the implementation of new technologies and practices in sports which would've previously been snubbed at by purists (electronic strike zone, mics on players, etc...).

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 04-22-2020 at 12:45 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #17
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are totally dreaming if they think "limited fans" can partake in this responsibly.

I yearn for hockey but they need to get the idea of fan attendance out of their minds right now- IMO it presents the entirely likely scenario that they would have to shut right back down because of exposure at one of the sites.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #18
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forget about the summer. The NHL should be thinking about how they're going to operate in October, because it's likely restrictions against large gatherings will continue right through 2020.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #19
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It all makes sense, because the season is already paid for by the owners. Next years games would be problematic, there is no way the owners pay full salaries without any revenue.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #20
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

“The NHL would like to thank Edmonton for hosting games in these trying times. The entire pacific division is now addicted to meth water and teeming with syphilis...but no Coronavirus!”

- the future
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jessnuts For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread