Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 10:22 AM   #781
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah thats the sticking point in my mind too, CLB moving Jones seems unlikely, although they have a crap ton of Dmen and Werenski is capable of taking over as their stud #1 dman.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #782
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hall - Monahan - Bjorkstrand
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Anderson
Dube - Backlund - Mangiapane
Lucic - Ryan - Phillips

Giordano - Jones
Forbort - Andersson
Valimaki - Kylington
Old 07-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #783
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The Flames have 16 million to fill 9 roster spots next year. Valimaki and Mangiapane will take up 3.3 or so with Mangiapanes new contract. So that leaves 12.7 for 7 roster spots with a top 4 defenceman and another goaltender required. If they sign Hall...Gaudreau or another salary like his has to go out the door with less money coming back.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #784
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Well, here's exactly what you said.

"No team is trading for Janko and qualifying him at $1.75 million. With a flat cap for the next couple of years you are going to see way better bottom tier ufas making less than that.

As for Anderson I have wanted him in the flames for a couple of years. Even with injury it seems a lot of teams are interested in him . Hopefully a 2nd and a sweetener gets it done . I also wouldn’t be surprised if some team gives Columbus a late first for him."

Those are your words and reading between the lines you are saying that Jankowski is pretty much worthless and Anderson is stud everyone wants, even though they are both coming off of bad years (Anderson's worse than Jankowski's) and both having a couple good years prior. So I'm not putting crap in your mouth that you have already spewed out yourself. If you feel that strongly about Janowksi's worth, then what the hell do you think the position will be on Bennett who will have to be qualified at a million more? Lets see how consistent you are in your position.

But teams are going to be lining up the door to throw multiple assets, including late first round picks, for Anderson? Explain how that makes sense.

See, I'm tired of people saying stupid stuff about players that have been designated the team whipping boys, but then falling all over themselves to heap praise on favorites even though they in similar or worse situations than the whipping boys. It is a pet peeve and one I will jump on all the time. Be consistent in your assessment of players and apply the same rules and logic to all of them.
Unlike you I actually watch other teams of the NhL. Anderson is power forward with full time 2nd line potential. Yes teams covet that much more than a soft forward who plays the 4th line. If you think the 2 players have euqal value then you are out to lunch

Also you shouldn’t be reading between the lines so you can post stuff that is nowhere near intended on initial post.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:36 AM   #785
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeah thats the sticking point in my mind too, CLB moving Jones seems unlikely, although they have a crap ton of Dmen and Werenski is capable of taking over as their stud #1 dman.
If Columbus decided to move Jones (likely because they thought he was a very risky resign chance), they likely would want to move him for younger, cheaper assets with way more control. Similar thought process that the Flames had when they moved Hamilton.

They likely would want a young d-man who would take Jones' spot and a forward.

Example, to Philly for a deal including Sanheim.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:25 AM   #786
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Unlike you I actually watch other teams of the NhL.

You must be the only one in the universe with NHL Center Ice! Nope, just checked and I have it too. Move on to your next ridiculous argument.

Quote:
Anderson is power forward with full time 2nd line potential. Yes teams covet that much more than a soft forward who plays the 4th line. If you think the 2 players have euqal value then you are out to lunch
A power forward coming off a 1 goal season and looking completely disinterested in the games he did play. Compared to a premiere penalty killer who has shown ability to put the puck in the next when given opportunity, but not afforded it in Calgary. See, two can play your game. How about just looking at the two players and recognize they are pretty much in the same situation - both having terrible years, both having similar qualifying requirements, both being good players in their respective roles (but struggling with consistency), and both appearing to have lost interest with their teams.

Quote:
Also you shouldn’t be reading between the lines so you can post stuff that is nowhere near intended on initial post.
I pointed out EXACTLY what you said. You crapped all over Jankowski and making a claim impossible to prove while falling all over yourself to heap praises on a player who had an even worse year. That is EXACTLY what you said. Maybe don't post stupid crap where your logic makes no sense and you won't get called out on it.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #787
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

You must be the only one in the universe with NHL Center Ice! Nope, just checked and I have it too. Move on to your next ridiculous argument.

A power forward coming off a 1 goal season and looking completely disinterested in the games he did play. Compared to a premiere penalty killer who has shown ability to put the puck in the next when given opportunity, but not afforded it in Calgary. See, two can play your game. How about just looking at the two players and recognize they are pretty much in the same situation - both having terrible years, both having similar qualifying requirements, both being good players in their respective roles (but struggling with consistency), and both appearing to have lost interest with their teams.

I pointed out EXACTLY what you said. You crapped all over Jankowski and making a claim impossible to prove while falling all over yourself to heap praises on a player who had an even worse year. That is EXACTLY what you said. Maybe don't post stupid crap where your logic makes no sense and you won't get called out on it.
Again top 6 power forward is worth more than a soft bottom 6 forward. Not sure what else to tell you.
Power forward will be qualified . Bottom forward likely will not be.

As for your last paragraph , especially the last couple sentences.......lol .
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 11:52 AM   #788
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Again top 6 power forward is worth more than a soft bottom 6 forward.
This isn’t inaccurate (although Anderson is more middle six, he’s as much as a top line player as Ferland was).

But you also have to factor: Centre who kills penalties > middle six power winger.

They are quite close in value. I still think the Flames sign Jankowski for less than that.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:11 PM   #789
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://flamesnation.ca/2020/07/05/r...edium=facebook

Flames very interested in trading for Anderson
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #790
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anderson's value tanked hard and I don't see the Jackets getting anywhere near what they think he is worth. Their only hope is that the playoffs happen and he gets lots games and plays well to recover some of it.

I believe he only has a year left and then UFA, so even if they just do the QO for next year he's likely gone for nothing after that.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #791
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, getting Anderson is fine in of itself, he's a fit and the Flames have been knocking on that door for 3 seasons now.

Really it shouldnt take any more than Janko and a bit. I wouldn't move Bennett for him as Bennett would be a direct beneficiary of Andersons arrival. I envision something like this:

BENNETT-DUBE-ANDERSON

Tell me that doesnt look good. Crash and bang and skill. Thats a line. Heck, they might even put up some points!

Leaving Lucic and Ryan and a random on the other bottom six line. Thats solid.

Either way, I like that look of a potential dynamic, Janko is kind of an ugly duckling on this roster as they clearly favor Ryan for 3rd line minutes and he's too soft for 4th line center roles. Great PKer though but even that took a bit of a dive this year.

Janko for Anderson is a great scenery change move for both players.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #792
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
https://flamesnation.ca/2020/07/05/r...edium=facebook

Flames very interested in trading for Anderson
Yeah that's what the discussion has been about the past 50 posts or so.

Seems like a perfect candidate to go after when his value is at it's lowest following an injury riddled season and the contract issues he has with Columbus in the past and looming.

Kylington, Bennett, and Jankowski are the 3 obvious names that have been buried on the Flames. Benny and Janko making more than they should given their utilization and production. I could see Bennett as an attractive reclamation project of his own given what we've heard previously about how teams view his turnaround potential around the league.

Ideally, the playoffs happen as planned and Bennett is able to impress once again with a strong playoff performance and increase his value. I'd rather keep Bennett personally, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved at either his own request, or because he hasn't worked out as planned and still holds some value based on his potential. Feels like he'd find a great fit elsewhere and breakout, not sure that happens here though.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:43 PM   #793
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Again, getting Anderson is fine in of itself, he's a fit and the Flames have been knocking on that door for 3 seasons now.

Really it shouldnt take any more than Janko and a bit. I wouldn't move Bennett for him as Bennett would be a direct beneficiary of Andersons arrival. I envision something like this:

BENNETT-DUBE-ANDERSON

Tell me that doesnt look good. Crash and bang and skill. Thats a line. Heck, they might even put up some points!

Leaving Lucic and Ryan and a random on the other bottom six line. Thats solid.

Either way, I like that look of a potential dynamic, Janko is kind of an ugly duckling on this roster as they clearly favor Ryan for 3rd line minutes and he's too soft for 4th line center roles. Great PKer though but even that took a bit of a dive this year.

Janko for Anderson is a great scenery change move for both players.
Yes! I want this so bad but I'd like to give a look to Bennett at Centre because I think that is where he is the best but at the same time not opposed to Dube there too I think he's got real 2nd/3rd line centre potential.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:59 PM   #794
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hall Monahan Gaudreau
Tkachuk Backlund Lindholm
Dube Bennett Mangiapanne
Lucic Ryan Rinaldo or who ever to put there for bottom dollar.

Gio Andersson
Hanifin Someone
Valimaki Kyllington

Rittich
Cheap back-up
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #795
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m personally hoping for an all in approach for the Flames just this one time and add one more big piece to the top tier.

Mr Mikes looks great, Johnny can easily play his off wing and be crazy dangerous whipping passes into the slot for Hall or Gio to tee up.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #796
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames greatly need to improve the bottom six, and they need to do so by cleaning out three players. Jankowski, Bennett, and Lucic all need to go, simply because they don't play the game to the levels expected of them.

Jankowski is a wonderful blend of size and talent. He's a very smart player, a good skater, has soft hands, and plays on instinct. Unfortunately he has the edge of a butter knife, does not use his size to his advantage, and plays at a speed that gives the impression of a lack of urgency. His smarts and instincts are on display when he kills penalties, but at the same time his discipline to his position leaves the impression of not playing hard enough. That makes it easy for a coach to play others ahead of him, because hustle is the hallmark of great players. Jankowski needs to go so he can see this through another lens and take the next step. The Flames don't have the luxury of waiting for that awareness to kick in. I see Jankowski as a component with another player in a hockey trade, kind of like Ferland with Hamilton, which addresses multiple positions on the team.

Bennett is a player the Flames have to move on from. Four coaches has spoken. Bennett is not a player that addresses any need for this team. He's actually the antithesis of Jankowski. Bennett goes out there and plays with heart and an edge, but has nothing else going for him. He's not a smart player, his instincts are non-existent, he is not a great skater, can't pass, and has a terrible shot. But he runs around and is willing to play with an edge, which is why fans like him. That and he has draft pedigree and that "potential" card to play. Problem is that card is worn out. Bennett is not getting better and he is not going to suddenly find his game, even if he lined up with McDavid and Draisaitl. This is a guy that the team might be able to make a swap of reclamation players and maybe come out on top, but the Flames will have to take a lot of risk back because Bennett has not shown much in his time in the league. The moments where that "potential" shines through are fewer and fewer. The time is now to get something for an asset that is not going to be a component on a winning team.

Lucic needs to retire. Plain and simple. I was surprised to hear that he considered it earlier this season, but I now hold out hope that follows through on that feeling. Lucic is a player that needs to play a role, and that role he has been given he seems less than committed to filling that role. He is no longer a deterrent because his heart is not in it. You could see it when the Flames played the Oilers and Tkachuk was ragdolled. In the past Lucic would have left a greasy stain on the boards or a bloody mess on the ice with someone from the opposition on his next shift. Lucic wanted no part of that. The Oilers broke him and took that out of his game. His ability to help this club is strictly dependent on playing the role of a physical presence, and he no longer has the desire to play that game. It is time for the Flames to move on.

If the Flames can change out two of these pieces and have the other retire this will be a better hockey team. I hope Treliving has the wherewithal to make the moves needed. None of these three are answers to anything and the longer they hand around the worse it will be for this team trying to compete. If you could take all three of these players and splice the right parts of their DNA together you would have a helluva hockey player. But on their own merits all of them are greatly flawed and need to be improved upon. I hope none of them are in a Flames uniform when November rolls around.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #797
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lucic retiring seems like such a pipe dream. It sure would open things up for Treliving to load the top 9 up and snag another solid top 4 dman too.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #798
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know that you're not trolling and truly and honestly hate Bennett as a hockey player, but I don't see your post as accurate.

I think that all of Flames fandom is on board with Janko needing a fresh start somewhere. He is the perfect player to go the other way in an Anderson trade. Only a small sweetener needed.

Bennett should be the third line centre. Hartley had him on a strong development curve, and then GG, Peters and now Ward have him buried in the wrong position on an offensive black hole line. I expect Gallant will have him on the right line, in the right position, simply because he is a smarter coach. I know that we will agree to disagree on this. If he plays on a line with Anderson and Dube, even if they trade him the next off season, his value will increase exponentially.

Lucic is here for the duration unless there is a compliance buyout. Lucic-Ryan-Phillips third or fourth line (I see them as interchangeable) should wear out the opposition.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:03 PM   #799
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I know that you're not trolling and truly and honestly hate Bennett as a hockey player, but I don't see your post as accurate.

I think that all of Flames fandom is on board with Janko needing a fresh start somewhere. He is the perfect player to go the other way in an Anderson trade. Only a small sweetener needed.

Bennett should be the third line centre. Hartley had him on a strong development curve, and then GG, Peters and now Ward have him buried in the wrong position on an offensive black hole line. I expect Gallant will have him on the right line, in the right position, simply because he is a smarter coach. I know that we will agree to disagree on this. If he plays on a line with Anderson and Dube, even if they trade him the next off season, his value will increase exponentially.

Lucic is here for the duration unless there is a compliance buyout. Lucic-Ryan-Phillips third or fourth line (I see them as interchangeable) should wear out the opposition.
Bennett was never on a strong development curve, he got a major boost from playing with Backlund, like Colborne and Bouma did. He has been afforded opportunity after opportunity and has done absolutely nothing with it. Making coaches scapegoats for his lack of on ice intelligence and inability to effectively use linemates is a take from our fans that needs to go away.

Last edited by Crown Royal; 07-05-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #800
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Bennett was never on a strong development curve, he got a major boost from playing with Backlund, like Colborne and Bouma did. He has been afforded opportunity after opportunity and has done absolutely nothing with it. Making coaches scapegoats for his lack of on ice intelligence and inability to effectively use linemates is a take from our fans that needs to go away.
He has been effective when put into a position to succeed. Like every young player. Put into a position to fail, he did not do well. The Las Vegas franchise was built on identifying these situations.
Closed Thread