Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 01:09 AM   #761
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I remember in his draft year, they were talking about how he was born into a family of athletes (his uncles are pro wrestlers), and that his build was like that of a bodybuilder, unbelievable for a 17 year old. Really good hands, but his ascention to the NHL has been a bit slow. Perhaps he will get a better look with the Rags.
Yeah I think he's going to be alright given time. His ppg in the AHL the last 3 season is 0.38, 0.55 and 0.84. Hes still only 22.

6'4" 230lb block of muscle that can skate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 01:18 AM   #762
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Oh man, I thought when you said something built around Bennett and Anderson that you meant putting them on a line together, lol. I think seeing them play together would be fun, but I don't disagree with you.

I do think that management does love Benny, and would prefer to keep him unless he's included in a trade for a bigger name.
I can see why you thought that, but I think Anderson is a guy we could acquire for Bennett and small plus, then he would allow Dube to move back to his natural left side. and push Lucic down to the 4th line. It would not only allow us to save cap to spend on a top 4 defenseman but give us an opportunity to improve the 4th line. I really have no desire to pay to acquire Anderson and then play him on the 4th line with Bennett.

Johnny - Mony - Elias
Chucky - Backs - Bread
Dube - Doc - Anderson
Looch - ? - ?

Then if Hall is signed, you move a guy like Doc to clear some space and move Johnny to RW

Hall - Mony - Johnny
Chucky - Elias - Bread
Dube - Backs - Anderson
Looch - ? - ?
Old 07-05-2020, 01:24 AM   #763
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeah I think he's going to be alright given time. His ppg in the AHL the last 3 season is 0.38, 0.55 and 0.84. Hes still only 22.

6'4" 230lb block of muscle that can skate.
The Rangers thought enough of Gauthier that they traded RHD Joey Keane for him, who is a pretty damn good prospect-swift skating, offensive D-man....
Old 07-05-2020, 01:34 AM   #764
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
a mid-1st? you gotta realize we're talking about a guy who scored one goal this year and has serious injury concerns around him... he's 26 and he has a career-high of 47 points.
You forget with his 7 points and multiple healthy scratches Janks has negative value.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:36 AM   #765
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
You forget with his 7 points and multiple healthy scratches Janks has negative value.
And yet Anderson with 4 points and serious injury concerns is worth a mid-first? That doesn't exactly compute to me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 07:02 AM   #766
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think Calgary would prefer to keep Bennett and try to trade Jankowski for something of value instead of letting him walk. That's purely conjectural.
Where is this conjecture coming from? Have you heard something from someone in management that seems to indicate they have a crush on Bennett or think he's a player? I think they would love to move Bennett and have dangled him in the market, but are holding firm on a price for him. I think the offers have been underwhelming because other teams know what type of player Bennett is and that he does not play up to his salary.

Quote:
I do think that management does love Benny, and would prefer to keep him unless he's included in a trade for a bigger name.
Unfortunately the coaching staff doesn't like him. They see him for what he is and they don't like what they see, and that shows with his ice time and his assignments. At some point management is going to have align with what four coaching staffs have seen in Sam Bennett.

Benny is 24 and is coming off a season where he was trending to score 15 points. He is not especially adept at anything. Not a great skater. His shot is weak and inaccurate. He's not smart and doesn't play a structured game well. As a result he doesn't play the PP or the PK. He's got 360+ games under his belt. Sam Bennett is what he is and he's not going to develop anything more in his skill set that isn't already there. If it were not for his draft position people would be pissed at the money Bennett makes and how little he brings to the table. I don't believe management "loves" Bennett and would like to find a new team for him. The problem is that no one his coming near the asking price that Treliving put on him earlier this year, and Benny's performance has only hurt that asking price that much more.

Ideally the Flames would probably love to move on from Bennett, Jankowski, and Lucic. The best scenario for the Flames would be trading Bennett and Jankowski and having Lucic retire. That $9.5M in cap space could be used to bring in a player or two that could make a difference. If they could turn these players into something positive this team could be a lot better.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:37 AM   #767
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Can someone post a link to the Athletic article about Anderson being referenced? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2020, 07:47 AM   #768
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Where is this conjecture coming from? Have you heard something from someone in management that seems to indicate they have a crush on Bennett or think he's a player? I think they would love to move Bennett and have dangled him in the market, but are holding firm on a price for him. I think the offers have been underwhelming because other teams know what type of player Bennett is and that he does not play up to his salary.

Unfortunately the coaching staff doesn't like him. They see him for what he is and they don't like what they see, and that shows with his ice time and his assignments. At some point management is going to have align with what four coaching staffs have seen in Sam Bennett.

Benny is 24 and is coming off a season where he was trending to score 15 points. He is not especially adept at anything. Not a great skater. His shot is weak and inaccurate. He's not smart and doesn't play a structured game well. As a result he doesn't play the PP or the PK. He's got 360+ games under his belt. Sam Bennett is what he is and he's not going to develop anything more in his skill set that isn't already there. If it were not for his draft position people would be pissed at the money Bennett makes and how little he brings to the table. I don't believe management "loves" Bennett and would like to find a new team for him. The problem is that no one his coming near the asking price that Treliving put on him earlier this year, and Benny's performance has only hurt that asking price that much more.

Ideally the Flames would probably love to move on from Bennett, Jankowski, and Lucic. The best scenario for the Flames would be trading Bennett and Jankowski and having Lucic retire. That $9.5M in cap space could be used to bring in a player or two that could make a difference. If they could turn these players into something positive this team could be a lot better.

It's amazing to me that he still gets a pass from some people here as being more than anything he has ever shown.

He is a 3/4 line banger and crasher...nothing more and nothing less. He would have more value if he was a C, but he doesnt think the game well enough to play there.

Is he worth his 2.5M salary? Debatable at best. I would say more so if he could contribute on special teams, but he can't.

I like the guy but his value to this club is minimal and even more now with what the cap looks like it will be moving forward.

If you can move him to a GM who still thinks there is more there and they can get it out of him...you have to. I still think something involving him and whatever else is needed (some retained money?) to Toronto for Kapanen makes way to much sense.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:52 AM   #769
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Can someone post a link to the Athletic article about Anderson being referenced? Thanks!
https://theathletic.com/1899817/2020...ike-next-year/

Its his mock draft article...its under the breakdown of the Jackets.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:08 AM   #770
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Then if Hall is signed, you move a guy like Doc to clear some space and move Johnny to RW
If the Flames sign Hall you trade Gaudreau before the next puck is dropped. Use Gaudreau to solidify the team and recoup some much needed assets in other areas. The Ryan situation will sort itself out in another season, so that isn't a priority. Ryan provides decent bang for the buck he is being paid, so he is a guy you keep around for his flexibility. You really look at the needs of the team and use Gaudreau to fill those gaps, like at RW and on the blueline. Let's put on the armchair GM hat for a few minutes and do some retooling.

Move one: Sign Taylor Hall @ 6 years $45M.

Move two: Trade Gaudreau, Jankowski, and Kylington to Philadelphia for Voracek, Frost, and Myers

Move three: Trade Bennett to Columbus for Anderson

Move four: Sign Alex Petrovic @ $700K and re-up Talbot or similar goaltender at the same contract.

Hall ($9.0)-Monahan ($6.375)-Voracek ($8.25)
Tkachuk ($7.0) -Frost ($.863)-Lindholm ($4.85)
Dube ($.784)-Backlund ($5.35)-Anderson ($2.25)
Mangipagne ($1.25)-Ryan ($3.125)-Gawdin ($.800)
Rieder ($.700), Rinaldo ($.700)

$50.434

Giordano ($6.75)-Anderson ($4.55)
Hanafin ($4.95)-Myers ($2.5)
Forbort ($2.0)-Petrovic ($.700)
Yelesin ($.925)

$22.375

Rittich ($2.75)
Talbot ($2.75)

$5.5

$78.309 cap hit ($2.691 cap space) with appropriate space and movement opportunities for contract bumps in the future.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #771
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

With Anderson it would really hinge on the injury. If there was no reason to be concerned than why would they want to move a guy who scored 27 goals only a year ago? For a forward this age that season is likely going to be his career high water mark and that he's more likely to be the 17 to 19 goal and 30 point player over the next 2-3 seasons. But if he can play to that level and not miss too much time, it's a nice piece to have. But again if you go out and get this guy there is a good chance you end up exposing him in the expansion draft as your 8th best forward.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:20 AM   #772
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
With Anderson it would really hinge on the injury. If there was no reason to be concerned than why would they want to move a guy who scored 27 goals only a year ago? For a forward this age that season is likely going to be his career high water mark and that he's more likely to be the 17 to 19 goal and 30 point player over the next 2-3 seasons. But if he can play to that level and not miss too much time, it's a nice piece to have. But again if you go out and get this guy there is a good chance you end up exposing him in the expansion draft as your 8th best forward.
Could be Anderson doesn't want to be there anymore and has made that known. Your thinking on expansion is solid. I think that is why you make a deal of Bennett for Anderson and everyone is happy. They are players likely in similar situations.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:44 AM   #773
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think Calgary would prefer to keep Bennett and try to trade Jankowski for something of value instead of letting him walk. That's purely conjectural.

No team is trading for Janko and qualifying him at $1.75 million. With a flat cap for the next couple of years you are going to see way better bottom tier ufas making less than that.

As for Anderson I have wanted him in the flames for a couple of years. Even with injury it seems a lot of teams are interested in him . Hopefully a 2nd and a sweetener gets it done . I also wouldn’t be surprised if some team gives Columbus a late first for him.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:57 AM   #774
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
No team is trading for Janko and qualifying him at $1.75 million. With a flat cap for the next couple of years you are going to see way better bottom tier ufas making less than that.
Then what does that say for Sam Bennett? Is his value then worth less? Do the Flames have a number of players they would just be better off walking away from? Seems like you're suggesting the only players on the Flames worth anything are the guys at the top of the roster because most of them are on really good deals? But then you're saying that other teams players who are having bad years are still worth more?
Old 07-05-2020, 09:26 AM   #775
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Then what does that say for Sam Bennett? Is his value then worth less? Do the Flames have a number of players they would just be better off walking away from? Seems like you're suggesting the only players on the Flames worth anything are the guys at the top of the roster because most of them are on really good deals? But then you're saying that other teams players who are having bad years are still worth more?

You are really trying to read between the lines on my post .

Nobody is qualifying Janko at $1.75 million. That’s all you need to know.

Last edited by kyuss275; 07-05-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:56 AM   #776
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Columbus has tons of cap space. I could genuinely see them having interest in Janko.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:56 AM   #777
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
You are really trying to read between the lines on my post . Not sure how you came up with that crap you just posted from what I said?
Well, here's exactly what you said.

"No team is trading for Janko and qualifying him at $1.75 million. With a flat cap for the next couple of years you are going to see way better bottom tier ufas making less than that.

As for Anderson I have wanted him in the flames for a couple of years. Even with injury it seems a lot of teams are interested in him . Hopefully a 2nd and a sweetener gets it done . I also wouldn’t be surprised if some team gives Columbus a late first for him."

Those are your words and reading between the lines you are saying that Jankowski is pretty much worthless and Anderson is stud everyone wants, even though they are both coming off of bad years (Anderson's worse than Jankowski's) and both having a couple good years prior. So I'm not putting crap in your mouth that you have already spewed out yourself. If you feel that strongly about Janowksi's worth, then what the hell do you think the position will be on Bennett who will have to be qualified at a million more? Lets see how consistent you are in your position.

Quote:
Nobody is qualifying Janko at $1.75 million. That’s all you need to know.
But teams are going to be lining up the door to throw multiple assets, including late first round picks, for Anderson? Explain how that makes sense.

See, I'm tired of people saying stupid stuff about players that have been designated the team whipping boys, but then falling all over themselves to heap praise on favorites even though they in similar or worse situations than the whipping boys. It is a pet peeve and one I will jump on all the time. Be consistent in your assessment of players and apply the same rules and logic to all of them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 10:04 AM   #778
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames are able to sign Hall, how about this for a hockey trade, or the basis for one?

Gaudreau, Hanifin, Bennett for Jones, Bjorkstrand, Anderson

Gaudreau >> Bjorkstrand
Hanifin << Jones
Bennett = Anderson

1. Gaudreau and Jones are UFAs the same off season, so equal risk there
2. Hanifin and Bjorkstrand both have long term team control
3. Bennett and Anderson are both change of scenery/reclamation projects
4. Expansion draft implications are even
Old 07-05-2020, 10:12 AM   #779
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the Flames are able to sign Hall, how about this for a hockey trade, or the basis for one?

Gaudreau >> Bjorkstrand
Hanifin << Jones
Bennett = Anderson

Columbus isn’t likely to trade Jones.

He may resign with Columbus. Johnny likely has zero chance of signing with them.

So the risk to Columbus isn’t equal.

But the value isn’t bad, but I believe Hanifin has excellent trade value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #780
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Gaudreau >> Bjorkstrand
Hanifin << Jones
Bennett = Anderson

Interesting proposal. Jones would be a huge pickup and would be an ideal partner for Gio. With Hall coming in that would help offset the downgrade at forward at the top end while improving the overall depth.

I think the trade works when factoring in the Hall addition. Not sure Columbus trades Jones but getting Gaudreau and Hanifin would probably be the type of package to get them to consider it
Closed Thread