Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-21-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:
Default What ya reading? Version 425108

I picked up "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins last week and am more than halfway through it. I like it and would recommend it to others.

What are you reading?

I've always enjoyed biographies myself, and have read Michael J. Fox's as well as Bill Clinton's (enjoyed both). Any recommendations on a good biography for my next read?
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
The Unabomber
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Potato Factory by Bryce Courtenay, haven't read anything but great books by him so far and this is starting off to be the same.
The Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

"Dead Meat" - Sue Coe

From Amazon.com
British artist Sue Coe is well known for her social and political paintings and illustrations, which appear regularly in such publications as the New York Times and the New Yorker. Her latest effort is the disturbing book Dead Meat, a visual record of Coe's visits to 40 slaughterhouses, cattle ranches, and hatcheries to document the grisly practices of the meat-packing industry. Although she was not allowed to photograph on the premises, she was permitted to draw and sketch, and much of this work is jarringly graphic. Incorporated with the artwork are her thoughts and observations laid out in diary form. Even if you don't agree with Coe's politics, this is social and political art at its most powerful, in the tradition of Goya, Daumier, and Rockwell Kent. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

From Publishers Weekly
Political artist Coe spent years visiting slaughterhouses and meat farms in the U.S., Canada and England, all the while drawing and writing about what she saw. The result is a fascinating and revealing portrait of the institutions behind the meat we eat. Coe's illustrations, which appear regularly in such publications as the New York Times and the New Yorker, have the sharply lined, affecting realism of a Diego Rivera mural. Her first-person account is matter-of-fact, thoughtful and engaging. Coe's book is political, and she clearly hopes it will make readers think twice about what they put into their mouths, but she does not preach and is unafraid to confront her own complicity: "Every dollar I get drips with blood too," she writes. Her empathetic rendering of the workers she encounters is reminiscent of Studs Terkel at his best, and the parallels she draws between society's treatment of meat animals and its working classes are disturbing and convincing. burn's introductory essay traces the history of the meat industry with his customary shrewd sociopolitical insight, but without falling into polemics. Dead Meat will appeal not just to those interested in animal rights, but to anyone who cares about how society functions.
Copyright 1996 Reed Business Information, Inc.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just finishing of A Storm of Swords (for the second time) then will read A Feast For Crows.

Although last night I was reading Skeptic magazine. The article debunking 9/11 conspiracy theories was interesting.

I have a bunch of books that I have picked up over the last few months.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Iron Council, China Mieville:

http://www.sfsite.com/10a/ic185.htm
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

The forums on Calgarypuck.com
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading is for dum people.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Hell's Angels: Into the Abyss by Yves Lavigne. For some reason I really enjoy books about the Hell's Angels.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #9
Hakan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sustainable Fossil Fuels - Mark Jaccard
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #10
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

The writing on the wall ...

Seriously, The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail, by Baigent, Leigh & Lincoln. I've wanted to read it ever since they accused Dan Brown of basically plagarising their work with The Da Vinci Code. I'm curious about the plagarism allegations as much as the content, although it looks like an interesting read too. I like taking a health dose of skepticism and reading speculative stuff like this.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started reading The Taking by Dean Koontz, but it's a horrible book and I won't finish it. I am also reading "Canada's Secret Commandos: The Unauthorized story of Joint Task Force Two". Great read so far.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
Crazy Flamer
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am currently reading "How to Know God" by Deepak Chopra.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #13
Smyth's Skate
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hockey Tough by Saul Miller. It is a mental management book geared towards hockey players, although I am using it in my never ending quest for sanity in the sport of archery.
Smyth's Skate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:06 PM   #14
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
The writing on the wall ...

Seriously, The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail, by Baigent, Leigh & Lincoln. I've wanted to read it ever since they accused Dan Brown of basically plagarising their work with The Da Vinci Code. I'm curious about the plagarism allegations as much as the content, although it looks like an interesting read too. I like taking a health dose of skepticism and reading speculative stuff like this.
Good Read...although a bit dry at times. I think because its a bit of a tougher read it failed to capitalize as well as it might have when it was released.

Im reading the End of Faith by Sam Harris and just finished his A letter to a Christian Nation...both are excellent reads as is The God Delusion that HHF is reading.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #15
SpitFire40
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not reading anything per say, don't have the time to sit and just read a book. But I listen to Audiobooks before I go to sleep.

The book quiz a while back mentioned The Chronicles of Narnia so I downloaded the set and am on The Boy and His Horse. So far the series is good, lighthearted kind of stuff.
SpitFire40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #16
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm reading "The Children of Men" because I heard it was such a good movie. This is a boring book. There are only a hundred pages left and it doesn't seem like it's even started.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #17
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitFire40 View Post
I'm not reading anything per say, don't have the time to sit and just read a book.
Yup, I can totally see where you're coming from with that. I used to read a lot less than I do now, but my current job requires me to commute (subway, bus) for over an hour each way, giving me a lot of free time to/from work. The only time I read is then. Perhaps like you, I can't sit at home and just read.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:47 PM   #18
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am reading The Audacity of Hope by Barrack Obama. Not bad so far, seems like a genuinely nice guy. Not sure if he will still be so nice after Hillary slits his throat, she seems like a take no prisoners type of lady.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #19
SpitFire40
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloHockeyFans View Post
Yup, I can totally see where you're coming from with that. I used to read a lot less than I do now, but my current job requires me to commute (subway, bus) for over an hour each way, giving me a lot of free time to/from work. The only time I read is then. Perhaps like you, I can't sit at home and just read.
I read enough on the internet, that's not a problem. You still use your imagination and build vocabulary with audiobooks, you're just not reading from a page visually, you're using your auditory senses.
SpitFire40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #20
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
I am reading The Audacity of Hope by Barrack Obama. Not bad so far, seems like a genuinely nice guy. Not sure if he will still be so nice after Hillary slits his throat, she seems like a take no prisoners type of lady.
Oooo yeah, good one. I was going to pick this up last time, but picked up The God Delusion instead... I think I'll get Barrack's book next. I heard he's a very good writer.