Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
icon57 What is the Flames' call-up hierarchy?

Who do they call up first, depending on position?

For the sake of easiness, I'll pick 14 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goalies to make the team. Argue over this if you wish but I don't think this is wholly unreasonable:

1. Gaudreau
2. Monahan
3. Tkachuk
4. Neal
5. Lindholm
6. Backlund
7. Frolik
8. Ryan
9. Bennett
10. Jankowski
11. Czarnik
12. Brouwer
13. Mangiapane
14. Lazar

1. Giordano
2. Brodie
3. Hamonic
4. Hanifin
5. Stone
6. Andersson
7. Kulak

1. Smith
2. Rittich

Which players follow these, in case of injury, and in what ranking order?

Here are some candidates for each position. Do you think that some of them deserve to make the team already? (I'm sure some of you will lobby against Brouwer and Lazar, but I feel like management will want them there to begin with so prospects aren't sitting -- and likely for vanity reasons, too, as they've invested into those players rather significantly.)

I suppose that this somewhat ties into the prospect rankings, although not really -- Juuso Valimaki appears to have the top prospect ranking in the bag, but given that he's still in junior, he likely won't be able to be recalled with ease like a guy like, say, Marcus Hogstrom. So, for the sake of this discussion, I'm only including AHL-eligible players -- I feel like that just makes sense.

Forwards (in alphabetical order):

Dube
Ehliz
Foo
Gawdin
Graovac
Hathaway
Lomberg
Klimchuk
Phillips
Pollock
Quine
Robinson
Shinkaruk

Defense:

Healey
Hogstrom
Kylington
Prout
Valimaki

Goalies:

Gillies
McDonald
Parsons
Schneider

Last edited by TheScorpion; 07-09-2018 at 03:29 PM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valimaki could, likely will, play in the AHL.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Valimaki could, likely will, play in the AHL.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most familiar with how the relationship between European players and the whole NHL/AHL/CHL transfer system shakes out. He is eligible, then?

Edit: Ah, I see -- it has nothing to do with his European status, he was just old when he was drafted. Yep, he's AHL-eligible, so add him to the list.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 07-09-2018 at 03:29 PM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Out of the gate I think the order of call ups up front would be:

Foo
Hathaway
Dube

I'm not sold on Mangiapane getting a roster spot out of camp (even though I think he should). I think they will let Dube play most of the year in Stockton getting big minutes, unless he really rips it up.

On the back end:

Valimaki
Kylington

Andersson may very well start the year down on the farm as well. In that case he would be the first call up. I think Prout starts the year as the 7th d-man.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's too many variables:

1) Hanifin, Lindholm, Jankowski and goalie contracts
2) If Stone, Frolik or Brouwer are moved for cap space
3) Who impresses at camp
4) Lazar, Hathaway or Kulak fail to make the team

My favourites to make the team:
1) Mangiapane
2) Dube
3) Andersson
4) Gillies

My Dark Horses:
1) Foo
2) Klimchuck
3) Shinkaruk
4) Valimaki

Following the final roster, I would say call-ups are based on positional need (ie, RD, 4th line, LD), contract, and years pro.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am not sold on Mangiapane either
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:47 PM   #7
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

A little early to have this discussion. Decent chance that there is a surprise at camp (positively like a Jooris, or negatively like basically all forwards last year). It’s very much merit based, but merit based on most recent performances. The team has also been quite consistent in calling up guys to replace those who were hurt. So it’s context dependent.

Ultimately, without all those variables, this discussion is just the same as the prospects ranking thread, minus ineligible players.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #8
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Valimaki will play in the NHL this year.

Beyond that, first call ups will likely be Foo, Dube, and Andersson. After that I have no idea.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #9
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
I am not sold on Mangiapane either
I agree. Mangiapane better off in Stockton for development since still top 9 upside.

I would think Hathaway more likely to function as a 13th or 14th man eating popcorn much of the season. He has hit his ceiling and is unlikely to improve from here with more Stockton time. But can be okay in 4th line energy role.

The use of our extra forwards has to be considered carefully. So much better for a 24+ yr old player in this role than our younger prospects.

I suspect what you will see is one of Foo, Mangiapane or Dube making the squad as 4LW or 4RW.

If Lazar could pass through waivers, that would also be best since he still could regain his confidence and rekindle his NHL skill. But doubt they risk waivers before Peters can assess his potential. Lazar will likely platoon with in and out of lineup as next callup whenever someone a bit banged up or needs to refresh or a reprimand.

Brouwer will be one expensive 13th or 14th man but ideal to watch from the stands. I would even be okay with him staying in the stands if injuries and let Stockton callup slot in for playing time instead. Brouwer will eventually open up his NTC to all teams and is dealt for a B prospect and retained salary. Unless Peters magically rekindles his career and makes him valuable enough to move at trade deadline.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamescuprun2018 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #10
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Out of the gate I think the order of call ups up front would be:

Foo
Hathaway
Dube
I think it all depends on what we sign our RFAs for. If we're right up to the cap, we might have no choice but to bury Foo in the minors until his bonuses become unattainable. To my understanding, his cap hit will be $1.775M until the bonuses become impossible.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #11
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little too tired to make a whole list but will say I think Dube and Valimaki will be close to the top with Mangiapane, Klimchuk, Foo, and Ehliz being the other forwards who will be near the top of the call up list. If I’m penciling Andersson on the big club, then it would be Kylington behind Valimaki and whoever is performing well for Stockton. Kylington may be above Valimaki if the Flames want to take the patient route with him.

Last edited by Beninho; 07-09-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #12
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the bigger question is, who wins the open spots out of Camp?

Not really forecasting line combos, but seemingly only 13 forwards, 6 D and 1 G who would have to play their way off the team. Which leaves 1 open spot in all 3 groups.

I think any of the guys you listed have a change of coming out of camp on the roster if we don't see any more signings.

Gaudreau Monahan Neal
Tkachuk Backlund Lindholm
Bennett Jankowski Frolik
Ryan Czarnik
Lazar Brouwer

Giordano Brodie
Hanifin Hamonic
Stone
Kulak

Smith
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #13
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Foo is a lock for the 13th or 14th forward spot over Mangiapane, so is Lazar who will get a much longer look before being casted away.
lazypucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #14
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt Mangiapane starts with the big team unless he has an unbelievable camp. I've never been sold on him and still have my doubts.

Hathaway can be a dependable bottom line guy or 13th forward.

Foo, Dube are ahead of him in prospect rankings for forwards IMO. But again, this all depends on camp.

For defense, Kulak is probably the 7th guy, with Valikmaki being the first callup. Here's a kid who has top pairing potential and he'll be treated with white gloves by the org.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #15
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forwards:
Hathaway
Klimchuck
Lomberg
Dube
Foo

Defense:
Prout
Kylington
Valimaki

Goalies:
Gillies
Schneider
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #16
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andersson is likely the first call-up for defencemen.

I do think Valimaki will get his cup of coffee. But as an ELC eligible to slide (and therefore not be eligible for a Seattle expansion draft), I doubt that he gets over the 9 game mark unless he blasts the doors wide open. It's much better to let him tear up the AHL for the better part of a year to ensure as smooth a transition to the NHL as possible(like with Janko).

As for forwards, I think the pecking order would go to Foo/Mangiapane and then Dube.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #17
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Andersson is likely the first call-up for defencemen.

I do think Valimaki will get his cup of coffee. But as an ELC eligible to slide (and therefore not be eligible for a Seattle expansion draft), I doubt that he gets over the 9 game mark unless he blasts the doors wide open. It's much better to let him tear up the AHL for the better part of a year to ensure as smooth a transition to the NHL as possible(like with Janko).

As for forwards, I think the pecking order would go to Foo/Mangiapane and then Dube.
I totally agree with your first two points.
On your third, I have Mangiapane before Foo and Dube, though it surely depends on which injured forward that they would be replacing (LW, C, or RW).
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote