Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Calgary Bid on the 2026 Olympics
Yes 286 46.28%
No 261 42.23%
Determine by plebiscite 71 11.49%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #821
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
The estimates of current plans call for a tax burden of about $75/person. Of course you do it.

Even if it doubles, who wouldn't pay $150 for all the benefits the city would get from hosting the Olympics?
$75 per person is 75-100 million. How does that work? Perhaps you missed a zero or forgot to add per year for the next 10 years.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #822
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
To be fair, if you're not interested in the Olympic process proceeding forward with all the information that is out there now, you'll probably not bother to go to the open house about it. Your mind has been decided.
Pretty much, most people I have talked to want 2 new stadiums that could partially paid by the province and the feds or it's not worth the time.

For me, using the Saddledome is one thing but putting lipstick on that big pig called Mcmahon is a big no-no.

Last edited by Snuffleupagus; 09-23-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #823
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Pretty much, most people I have talked to want 2 new stadiums that could partially paid by the province and the feds or it's not worth the time.

For me, using the Saddledome is one thing but putting lipstick on that big pig called Mcmahon is a big no-no.
I don't think there will ever be a replacement for McMahon until the building can't stand anymore. With, or without Olympics, McMahon is staying. There just isn't any appetite from anyone to fork over that much more for a new football stadium when a renovation would be suffice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 08:59 PM   #824
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I don't think there will ever be a replacement for McMahon until the building can't stand anymore. With, or without Olympics, McMahon is staying. There just isn't any appetite from anyone to fork over that much more for a new football stadium when a renovation would be suffice.
A renovation would be great. It needs it badly, the area works, and it’s used for like 10 CFL home games a year. The city doesn’t need a brand new building somewhere else.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #825
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
A renovation would be great. It needs it badly, the area works, and it’s used for like 10 CFL home games a year. The city doesn’t need a brand new building somewhere else.
Traffic wise it's a one way to hell, coupled with sound by-laws and not remotely in a central location means the area doesn't and never has worked. A large stadium that could be used for events other than CFL games is what is needed.

Plus, the day I took my 12 year old daughter to a stamps game and she got to see a drunk unable to hold his piss because of the lineup at the so-called bathroom peeing in a corner of the concourse is the last day I stepped foot in that dump, very unlikely anything this side of demolition could fix this type of renovation needed.

The place is a total embarrassment to this city.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 12:54 AM   #826
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know I haven’t lived there for years and I am sticking my nose in here.

So here goes, McMahon as a venue should be a thing of the past. I think Calgary needs a serious upgrade when it comes to an outdoor venue.

As a football stadium, it really lacks the facilities needed to make it a pleasurable experience because the facilities are terrible.

As a showcase to the world: bleugh.

The location is awful. It takes forever to get away from it when a game is done. But more importantly beyond CFL, it is redundant as an outdoor venue. No concerts and no prospect of concerts even after pouring money into redevelopment.

That is literally pouring money into the pit.

The Olympic bid should have been an opportunity because Calgary deserves better than McMahon.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:18 AM   #827
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

McMahon has fantastic site lines and 30k seats in the actual field of play. The super white benches offer a tremendous value for season tickets and single games. If you ignore the bathrooms and concession and only focus on watching the game McMahn is the best stadium in the CFL. Great sitelines and minimal end zone seats.

If you can fix the concourse and washrooms then lipstick on a pig is the best option. I’ve though if you added an expanded concession area outside of the existing concourse and added bathrooms where the existing concessions are you would solve all the McMahn problems.

So for me this one depends on the actual plans that get drawn up.

Then pass a bylaw that says #### you to NIMBYs and start hiking events past 10.

I’m going to disagree that traffic is that bad. It has train access that could be fixed quite easily by improving pedestrian access and egress to the train and for access by vehicle is on a major access road. The master plan of crowchild solves the issue. It would actually be difficult to find a better traffic location. Calgarynext was clearly worse.

Last edited by GGG; 09-24-2018 at 06:23 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 06:27 AM   #828
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Traffic wise it's a one way to hell, coupled with sound by-laws and not remotely in a central location means the area doesn't and never has worked. A large stadium that could be used for events other than CFL games is what is needed.

Plus, the day I took my 12 year old daughter to a stamps game and she got to see a drunk unable to hold his piss because of the lineup at the so-called bathroom peeing in a corner of the concourse is the last day I stepped foot in that dump, very unlikely anything this side of demolition could fix this type of renovation needed.

The place is a total embarrassment to this city.
I’m almost certain that outdoor concerts are not a common theme at any Outdoor CFL building in the country...

A drunk not being able to hold it is your issue? That’s unfixable.

The washrooms being the problem however is obviously item #1 on a renovation.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:05 AM   #829
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish they'd release some renders of what a $150M cash infusion to McMahon would look like. That's half of what they spent in Regina for an entirely new stadium
Old 09-24-2018, 07:44 AM   #830
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
The estimates of current plans call for a tax burden of about $75/person. Of course you do it.

Even if it doubles, who wouldn't pay $150 for all the benefits the city would get from hosting the Olympics?

the estimate of yours I saw with those numbers was the math for every citizen of the city. there isn't a million taxpayers in Calgary.

but lets say it's correct. asking me to pay an extra $600 per year for my family of four for an Olympics is disgusting, with everything else that is underfunded.

that's a lot of money, especially for families where they don't have a lot to begin with.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:11 AM   #831
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I wish they'd release some renders of what a $150M cash infusion to McMahon would look like. That's half of what they spent in Regina for an entirely new stadium
They released the design map, which basically called for a centre chunk of seats to be lost for the new concourse and access to it. Other than that, theres nothing really to see in a render. It'll still be the ugly barren wasteland it is now. This isn't going to be the next Mosaic Stadium.

Last edited by Ducay; 09-24-2018 at 08:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 08:28 AM   #832
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
My gut instinct is the no side is more motivated, and unless an arena deal is part of the thing bid, the plebiscite is likely to lose. But I am also terrible at predictions, so I have no clue, really.
Personally, I think the bid needs to learn from CalgaryNEXT, and start showing something amazing that people can start dreaming about and rallying behind. Right now there's not much to look at, so people focus on the numbers and facts, which I think is always a bit of an uphill climb with the Olympics.

Even if they are fully conceptual at this point, they need to showcase beautiful renderings of a renovated McMahon and the other venues. Or an East-Village type fly-through video of the Athletes village. Yes, this costs money, but like with CalgaryNEXT, when the financial aspects are looked at with suspicion, you need to emphasize the dream.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #833
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

So they are planning on removing 4500 permanent seats and adding 700 permanent seats in the end zone from the looks of it. For a total of 28700 permanent seats when it's all done.

As part of the renovation are they planning on putting backs on all the remaining seats?

Old 09-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #834
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Personally, I think the bid needs to learn from CalgaryNEXT, and start showing something amazing that people can start dreaming about and rallying behind.

Last edited by Parallex; 09-24-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #835
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post

In case it wasn't apparent, I meant learn from their mistakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #836
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
In case it wasn't apparent, I meant learn from their mistakes.
Ah, now that makes a lot more sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 11:08 AM   #837
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
They released the design map, which basically called for a centre chunk of seats to be lost for the new concourse and access to it. Other than that, theres nothing really to see in a render. It'll still be the ugly barren wasteland it is now. This isn't going to be the next Mosaic Stadium.

I can't find the link to the actual report that has several renders in it, but here's at least one:

The other shots showed how the fan experience is transformed with shots of the patio and suite level renovations.

The changes that could be done showed that McMahon could be improved significantly, and address the current issues that many have. The foundation of McMahon is fine, but it lacks a lot of amenities of what you would want from a modern stadium. But they can be added in to McMahon.

It's better costs to put it in to McMahon, rather than spend much more money for a brand new stadium, while at the same time invest money into a brand new arena. It just doesn't make financial sense, and is unnecessary for a CFL team. And even if we're to build a new stadium, where would it be built? McMahon's location is pretty damn good for access. Right by the LRT, bordered by major throughway roads, and relatively close to downtown. We can work with what we got.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #838
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the detailed venue analysis for McMahon that was prepared for the Bid Exploration Committee: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings....cumentId=13400

The rendering in Joborule's post above shows a major renovation that would actually remove a significant amount of the existing stadium structure and replace it with a new suite and club level as well as new upper level concourse and new upper level seating. It would cost about half as much as a completely new stadium but give us about 75% of a new stadium and a completely new stadium experience.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #839
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the lower-cost alternative renovation.

In this version, most of the existing stadium superstructure would remain as is. The existing concourse would be completely overhauled with the addition of on-site food prep and operations areas in the middle of the old concourse space and renovated washrooms and concessions at the ends of the old concourse.

On top of the renovated old concourse, a new concourse level will be added, with new washrooms and concessions. A large overflow/patio space will overlook the exterior of the stadium and will provide a gathering place for people to get them out of the main traffic flow of the concourse.

Also on the new concourse level, a large hole will be cut into the side of the existing stadium seating area to create an open experience and allow a view of the field from the concourse level. This will also facilitate the addition of new accessible seating along the sidelines.

Additionally, the north end of the stadium will be completely overhauled. The Red & White Club will be removed and replaced by new ticket booths and entry gates with a large entry plaza. The two northernmost seating sections will be removed and replaced by large patio "fan zones". A much-larger team store will also be built on the north side of the stadium.

This renovation is estimated to cost around $60 million and could be completed entirely during the CFL off-season without disrupting the Stampeders schedule (it would likely be spread over a couple of years with each side of the stadium getting renovated each year).

The larger renovation with the removal of much of the stadium superstructure is estimated to come in over $135 million, which includes the installation of a roof over the seats. The roof alone accounts for about a third of that cost.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #840
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they go with the $135m option, Calgary might have the chance of actually having a non-garbage stadium that can better host the Stamps, and host some FIFA events, and maybe even one day some Voyageurs Cup/CCL matches between Cavalry and MLS/Liga MX teams if those command high enough crowds to play at McMahon vs the Spruce Meadows facilities (the Sounders play their US Open Cup matches at Starfire since they don't get the turnout to rationalize CenturyLink when playing USL teams).

I think they need to commit to that legacy option and start pumping out more renderings to get people excited that a winning bid means some real upgrades and not just lipstick on pigs like the cheaper McMahon options. The partial roof is particularly exciting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread