Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2021, 10:34 PM   #501
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Damn, legit thought this was next week.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:33 AM   #502
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russell very well could win a championship some day. That guy can drive
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:50 AM   #503
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Russell I'm a wait and see but if he can slide into Bottas seat we will find out soon. Norris is proving to be the real deal, I expect to see him at the top one day.

Really disappointed with the penalties today, elbows out racing and hard battles is what we need. I think they backed themselves into a corner by giving Norris the first one and had no choice for the rest of the race.
speede5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #504
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The stewards went all Oprah mode with the penalties today
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #505
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Hamilton
Verstappen
Bottas
Perez
Norris
Gasly
Sainz
Stroll
Leclerc
Sainz
Vettel
I guess I need to learn to count. I have Sainz in there twice. Not like it matters much as I was massively off this week and if you keep him in either spot I get 1 right this week.

I guess I need to learn this year it’s Verstappen 1st every race.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #506
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
The stewards went all Oprah mode with the penalties today
That was some overzealous stewarding, if I'm being honest. Crazy to think that Lando is staring at an automatic ban if some other bad luck happens to him as he's on 10 penalty points.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:56 PM   #507
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://wtf1.com/post/heres-every-pe...an-gp-weekend/
Old 07-04-2021, 11:10 PM   #508
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

If the stewards were consistent, I wouldn’t mind, but it seems like they pull decisions out of a hat.

Like 12 drivers ignored double yellows when Max crashed in Baku, no penalties given. Not a single one. Embarrassing and dangerous. Also, Masi made himself look dumb by waiting half a lap to call for SC/VSC.

The racing incidents are harder to judge because I can’t recall any previous ones that were borderline earlier this season. Maybe I’m just not remembering but it seems to me the racing has been mostly clean previously and today’s race had an unusual number of drivers getting pushed off into gravel.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:24 PM   #509
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

All of the 'forced driver off the track' penalties were bad, I think they just messed up the first one then felt they needed to keep calling it to appear consistant. But that was stupid
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:47 AM   #510
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
All of the 'forced driver off the track' penalties were bad, I think they just messed up the first one then felt they needed to keep calling it to appear consistant. But that was stupid

I think the only one that even has some merit was the Perez & Leclerc one where there was actually contact. I felt the rest of the was just hard but fair racing.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:57 AM   #511
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I think all of those incidents should be penalties all the time. When two cars are parallel, you should not be able to force the guy off the track. It is literally the antithesis of wheel to wheel racing. They were mirror images of Hamilton's penalty on Albon from last year, except the other drivers were willing to ruin their race by driving on the gravel to avoid contact and Albon wasn't. Instead his race got ruined because Hamilton hit him. Both are against the rules. A driver should not be forced to choose between ruining their race by going wide onto the gravel or getting DNF'd by letting the other driver hit them. You should not have to DNF to prove a point. Stewards should penalize based on the action, not the result.

The problem is they rarely enforce the rules consistently. Stewards have been a wreck ever since they got backlash for correctly giving Seb a 5s penalty in Canada in 2019.

And don't even get me started on the penalties for ignoring double waived yellows for Latifi and Mazepin. Masi completely lost all credibility in Baku when, not only did he refuse to call VSC or SC while Max was in a high danger situation after his crash, but then refused to enforce the rules because too many drivers broke the rules!!

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-05-2021 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:19 AM   #512
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think those should be penalties. The inside car is always closer to the racing line, and that line is dictated by the momentum you have coming in to the turn. Therefore, the inside car has no hope of slowing down to make room, because they can't turn in on a downhill anymore than they already are. By the time the outside car is far enough alongside for the driver to hypothetically think "I need to slow down so there is space" it is far to late. If you penalize that, you are basically saying the inside driver needs to concede the corner long before arriving at it, which would be ridiculous.

The outside line is obviously penalizing in it's own right, and drivers shouldn't be out there expecting space. If you want to go for it, fine, but don't expect magic from the inside driver. They can't make space at that point. Let them race, and if you want to try the outside, it's on you, and you better be in front by the time road runs out.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:28 AM   #513
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I disagree, in most of the cases yesterday, the outside driver was level prior to the turn, which means they actually had the racing line upon entering the turn. The inside driver regains the racing line at the apex but then didn't leave room exiting the corner where the racing line again becomes the outside. As explained below, if the driver being passed had the line, that car wouldn't be outside to begin with.

Here's a twitter thread from a steward explaining the decision and rules, courtesy of Wil Buxton.

Quote:
Caught up with Derek Warwick at the airport on the way home today. I'm still in agreement with his and the stewards' decisions yesterday. He told me how much they had to wrestle with Lando's initial penalty but that ultimately, it was a pretty clear breach of the regulations.

When the attacking car is substantially alongside, racing room has to be given. This is as true in corners as it is on straights. If the leading car edged the attacking car off track on a straight it's a slam dunk penalty. The same goes in corners. You can't just run people off.

Let's imagine the move was on the inside. If the attacking driver had managed to get up and level and the lead driver slammed the door shut to such an extent that the attacker was pushed off the track... again, you'd say slam dunk penalty.

But just as shoving your nose up the inside doesn't guarantee a pass, neither does having a sniff around the outside. You've got to be alongside or marginally ahead at some point of the corner (braking zone included) to be judged as being owed that racing room.

And the "he's just following the racing line" argument doesn't wash either. If the lead driver was on the racing line at T4, the inside line is the only way through. For an outside pass to be possible, the lead driver has to have changed line and gone defensive already.

This isn't making overtaking easy. It isn't making defending impossible. It's simply reinforcing the requirement for racing room. And ultimately that all comes down to respect and racecraft.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:16 AM   #514
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So at what point should Lando have braked to allow room? As in all the cases here, the inside driver is going for that outside apex, and the decision to "leave room" would have to be made long before getting there, which would mean braking earlier. I get leaving space on a straight. But if you are going around the outside, you know the inside driver can't change their route at that point, that's the gamble you take. If you need to brake when a car is coming beside you, before the corner, just to potentially leave space at the curve, well, you may as well not call it racing anymore.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:41 AM   #515
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rubbin' is racin'. Outside passes are awesome but they're a high risk maneuver. You really have to own the turn on the outside and have at least your rear tire matching the inside cars front tire at the apex for it to work. If not, you're leaving yourself exposed. If the inside driver has the racing line he should have the right to keep it post apex and it should be on the outside passer to back off as he is off the racing line and can't take it post apex. It's a fine line but I really had no issue with Landos or Checos 1st offenses, they shouldn't have been penalties. Honestly, I never thought this would be an issue.

Last edited by dammage79; 07-05-2021 at 06:29 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:09 PM   #516
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

And if Lando had moved to take the outside line ahead of the corner it would have been called blocking and he would have got a penalty for that. F1 is kind of annoying with all the racecraft baloney. haha.

It's the same debate we go through all the time on short track, the unwritten rule is if they have your door they have the line but it get's argued all the time anyway. "That rule only applied when people didn't have spotters" "that rule is only for cars without mirrors", blah blah.

Race people the way you want to be raced, if Lando keeps his elbows out he should expect the same in return. It usually sorts itself out.

IMO the overtaking car has more responsibility to avoid those collisions than the lead car, once that car is in the turn the line is set, and the overtaking car has full view of what the lead car is doing leading up.
speede5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2021, 09:49 PM   #517
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

This should be talked about a little I think. Russell in a Williams fending off Alonso for the 2nd half of the race:

We can see Williams and Russell taking noticeable strides now. That's a positive. Fending off one of the best passers and pressure drivers ever was a monumental task for anybody.

It's cool to see that experience gained and even cooler that there's replays for career events like this. And make no mistake, for George Russell who's driven a dead car since he got in, this was a career event. A 7 round match with a prize fighter. He did well but experience and carade the difference.

I'm figuring the next decades title battles are between Russell and Lando. With Leclerc poking his head in from time to time.

Fun stuff.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:15 AM   #518
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

No Aussie GP again this year
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...-2021/6626390/
Old 07-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #519
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alrighty...Race #9 standings!
Spoiler!

Congrats to DoubleK for pulling out a rather convincing weekly win. 4 correct slots and 25 pts. Jayswin (strike #2) comes in second with carryover picks from the previous race.

Overall standings sees Btimbit extend his lead over TimSJ by 4pts. Double K is now only 1pt behind TimSJ as well with the big win this week.

Fuzz continues his hot streak of 4 weeks in a row now... It was actually a bad week to have a username start with an "F" or even just an "F" in it...jesus H we suck.

As always let me know if you see an error. There were a couple picks that had people in twice and 11 total. I dropped the second entry or the last pick.
FLAMESRULE is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #520
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh dear...I should take the rest of the season off.