Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2023, 11:07 AM   #1081
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Trust me, the slow pace of the hiring company is a big frustration for recruiters as well. We work like crazy to find people and screen them and submit them. Then the company either goes quiet, or takes forever to schedule an interview. By the time they get around to it, I'm telling them that the really good, possibly high impact candidates are gone.

Even in my own search, its frustrating. I went through 4 really good interviews in the last two weeks with one company. Got done the final interview, and then the next day they said they had some internal candidates pop up and they are obligated to interview them. Fine I get that, but before you go out on the streets to find candidates, look at your internal pool first.

But I went from feeling good about both of the jobs that they interviewed me for, to. Well they've now wasted about 5 or 6 hours of my time over two weeks and chances are I'll have to wait a couple of more weeks for the internal interviews to happen.
Companies make some weird hiring decisions sometimes when it comes to dealing with internal candidates. I was up for a role as an external candidate earlier this year on a team that a colleague of mine worked on. It was a perfect fit, I had previously worked with the company until Covid devastated that industry and I was able to take over that role right away. The two hiring managers really liked me and we developed a good rapport. The decision came down to me and an internal candidate who had been at the company for 20 years in a number of roles but was not really qualified for the position. I don't know what the motivating factor was but I was not selected. My buddy is still currently doing the work of two people for the last few months because the person hired isn't capable of getting things done and is still "training" and learning the necessary skills. It seems like a really awful decision and I think it was recommended by HR instead of the hiring manager. I still keep in contact with the Manager and he has recommended me for two other roles over the last two months and made an introduction for me with an outsider vendor that was also recently hiring.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2023, 12:17 PM   #1082
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Companies make some weird hiring decisions sometimes when it comes to dealing with internal candidates. I was up for a role as an external candidate earlier this year on a team that a colleague of mine worked on. It was a perfect fit, I had previously worked with the company until Covid devastated that industry and I was able to take over that role right away. The two hiring managers really liked me and we developed a good rapport. The decision came down to me and an internal candidate who had been at the company for 20 years in a number of roles but was not really qualified for the position. I don't know what the motivating factor was but I was not selected. My buddy is still currently doing the work of two people for the last few months because the person hired isn't capable of getting things done and is still "training" and learning the necessary skills. It seems like a really awful decision and I think it was recommended by HR instead of the hiring manager. I still keep in contact with the Manager and he has recommended me for two other roles over the last two months and made an introduction for me with an outsider vendor that was also recently hiring.
HR doesn't generally make the final hiring decision, anyone who blames HR is passing the buck.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 01:21 PM   #1083
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Little update. I've had interviews with 3 companies so far. One was an initial HR screen, another was an interview with the hiring manager and the third was a video interview. I feel good about the first two but I'm not sure how my submission for the video interview went. I also have a former coworker on the recruiting side who I'm meeting with Monday about a potential role. So things are going not bad I guess?

However my former employer just posted my old job and I saw it when a former coworker shared it on LinkedIn. That's a gut punch. Might take a few days to recover from that.

shermanator is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2023, 01:52 PM   #1084
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Job Seekers thread Mark 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
However my former employer just posted my old job and I saw it when a former coworker shared it on LinkedIn. That's a gut punch. Might take a few days to recover from that.

That’s a bit of an eyebrow raiser. Did they lay you off and then post the exact same job?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 02:47 PM   #1085
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup. Exact same job.

Old 07-31-2023, 03:06 PM   #1086
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup. Exact same job.

That doesn’t seem legal. Aren’t they basically abusing the EI system.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2023, 03:27 PM   #1087
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Not sure what the problem is. It isn't as if the company is gaining anything from this. They are dumb, plain and simple.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 03:31 PM   #1088
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s a bit of an eyebrow raiser. Did they lay you off and then post the exact same job?
Quote:
Yup. Exact same job.
Quote:
I'd check with an employment lawyer. Take screenshots of the job posting. That sounds like a wrongful dismissal lawsuit.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2023, 03:42 PM   #1089
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

What's wrong with what they did? Companies can get rid of anyone (almost) at anytime without cause, and they can rehire for the same position if they want. Of course how they get rid of you and what they owe for severance is then important, but if he got EI then I assume they didn't mark him down as fired with cause on the ROE.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 07-31-2023 at 03:45 PM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackArcher101 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2023, 04:34 PM   #1090
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Trust me, the slow pace of the hiring company is a big frustration for recruiters as well. We work like crazy to find people and screen them and submit them. Then the company either goes quiet, or takes forever to schedule an interview. By the time they get around to it, I'm telling them that the really good, possibly high impact candidates are gone.

Even in my own search, its frustrating. I went through 4 really good interviews in the last two weeks with one company. Got done the final interview, and then the next day they said they had some internal candidates pop up and they are obligated to interview them. Fine I get that, but before you go out on the streets to find candidates, look at your internal pool first.

But I went from feeling good about both of the jobs that they interviewed me for, to. Well they've now wasted about 5 or 6 hours of my time over two weeks and chances are I'll have to wait a couple of more weeks for the internal interviews to happen.
Sadly - I just went through the opposite of this at a major here in town. I think the hiring department had an internal candidate identified all along, but HR policy dictated that they post externally just to see what came in.

The application submission, screening, and 1st interview all happened in like 2 weeks time, which is not common of a major - but I think that's because they wanted the internal to start working ASAP.

I think I sensed something was up when they ran through their standard battery of questions without asking once about companies previously worked at - anyone serious about someone does. I'll give them credit though, the hiring manager called me personally to tell me the news, which allowed me to get some feedback. At least I got something from it other than the standard PFO email.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 06:12 PM   #1091
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a good severance package, so there's no way I'd file any sort of suit. It's just a kick in the nuts during a time when the ego is pretty bruised to begin with.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2023, 07:09 AM   #1092
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't think I was mentally prepared for my job alerts to tell me I would be a top applicant at my old job this morning. Brutal.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2023, 07:11 AM   #1093
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should apply for it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2023, 07:49 AM   #1094
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You should apply for it.
Agreed...

Just use your middle name instead.
Old 08-02-2023, 09:50 PM   #1095
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Agreed...

Just use your middle name instead.

... then if they come looking for an interview go to it and reject them in person. of course that might burn a bridge or several but hey why not!!?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 04:26 PM   #1096
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've started doing some free lance recruiting for financial roles, So far I'm working on two one in Toronto and one in Vancouver. I'll post them up here tomorrow in case there's interest.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 08:44 AM   #1097
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Senior Accountant - (Remote)Toronto, ON

The Role

If you’re looking for a workplace with 35-40 hour weeks where overtime is rare, there is a permanent work from home arrangement and most importantly one where you are able to further your financial reporting skills with listed companies, our Financial Reporting Analyst role could be for you! Treewalk continues to grow its financial reporting group and is looking for multiple designated accounting professionals with strong public company reporting experience. Our Financial Reporting Analysts take ownership over multiple client files from a variety of different industries and if you are willing and interested, there will also be future opportunities to sit as the CFO of a listed public company after adequate training.
You may be performing some activities for the first time, but there is a great team of designated professionals behind you to provide guidance and assistance. The people that work at Treewalk are supportive and have a warm personality with a positive state of being. As long as you are an elite problem solver, working with us will be rewarding and provide an invaluable learning experience. This is a great transitional role to prepare you for the real-life challenges of working directly for a public company.
What will your days look like?
Assisting clients with their financial reporting requirements – creating draft annual and quarterly financial statements and their accompanying Management Discussion & Analysis.
• Involvement in IPO planning and prospectus preparation.
• Researching and interpreting accounting policy research and providing recommendations.
• Assisting with ERP implementation, cost accounting, budgeting, and projections.
• Coordination and assisting with client valuations.
  • Must have Ontario CPA • Having public company audit and/or financial reporting experience specifically with small to mid-sized businesses is a must
  • You should have significant exposure to complex IFRS accounting issues; especially debt and equity financing transactions •
  • You like looking to accounting standards and other guidance for answers rather than just following what they did last year
  • You love to work independently in an autonomous entrepreneurial environment but can still be heavily relied upon to be a supportive team member
  • You have great interpersonal skills and are comfortable working directly with clients
Company Description:
We are one of the fastest-growing accounting firms in Canada. We have an anti-firm culture - think tech startup, but accounting. We’re ditching the traditional top-down management hierarchy approach and are leaning into a holacratic system of organizational governance. We are on a journey to become the go-to training place for accountants of all levels who want to work in industry. Our accounting practice started with a specialization in assisting public companies with their financial reporting and accounting needs. When it comes to clients, we are industry agnostic. We never shy away from clients in new and emergent industries, and we’ve worked with companies in e-commerce, retail, manufacturing, cannabis, mining, and biotechnology, to name a few. We’ve got a lot on the go, and as far as we’re concerned, the only barrier to reaching our goals is finding exceptional talent to keep building out our team.

Culture, Perks and Benefits:
It’s Treewalk for a Reason
• We will cover your CPA schooling, annual dues, and professional development courses. Better yet, we do not have a clawback policy - if you decide to leave Treewalk at any point, we will never ask for that money back.
• We’re flexible – we treat our team members like professionals and give them autonomy to exercise their judgment and manage their schedules as they see fit. Get that workout in, run those errands – we trust you to manage your workload and meet those deadlines.
• We keep it fun! We encourage social activities outside of work, have company initiatives to keep you engaged with your peers, and have great technological tools to keep you connected.
• We’ve got you covered from Day 1 - your extended healthcare and maternity leave benefits kick in on your first day of work!

Who We Are
Treewalk is an advisory practice based out of downtown Vancouver specializing in financial reporting and corporate services for public companies. We offer clients a complete service package to assist them in timely and accurate disclosures. Our clients are from all industry sectors and are issuers on the TSX-V, CSE, NASDAQ, and the OTC.
We are one of the fastest growing accounting firms in Canada, and we’ve got some big goals that are going to send us to the top. We are a firm with an anti-firm culture - think tech startup, but accounting. We’re ditching the traditional top-down management hierarchy approach and are leaning into a holacratic system of organizational governance. We are on a journey to become the go-to training place for accountants of all levels who want to work in industry. Our accounting practice specializes in assisting public companies with their financial reporting and accounting needs, and we help private companies navigate the waters of going and staying public. When it comes to clients, we are industry- agnostic. We never shy away from clients in new and emergent industries, and we’ve worked with companies in e-commerce, retail, manufacturing, cannabis, mining, and biotechnology, to name a few. We’ve got a lot on the go, and as far as we’re concerned, the only barrier to reaching our goals is finding exceptional talent to keep building out our team.

Our Core Values
Mastery: At Treewalk, we pursue knowledge. We aspire to be the best at our craft, and we create and pursue opportunities to build on our expertise.
Support: At Treewalk, you're never alone. Teamwork and collaboration are our bedrock, and constant support for each other and our clients is what sets us apart.
Ownership: At Treewalk, we fight to take responsibility. We own our mistakes and our oversights, and are relentlessly committed to our responsibility to our colleagues and our clients.
Kaizen: At Treewalk, we don't settle. Kaizen is a business philosophy that means "change for the better", or "continuous improvement". We recognize that nothing is perfect, but we're striving for it anyway.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:47 AM   #1098
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Manager - Private Enterprise - Vancouver, BC

About this Job:

About the Role:

DMCL Chartered Professional Accountants is looking for a service-oriented and well-rounded Manager to join our Private Enterprise Group in our Vancouver Office. The ideal candidate will have previous management experience, strong technical accounting and tax experience working with private, owner managed clients in a public practice firm. In this role, the Manager will work directly with clients and Partners to provide accounting and taxation services to a broad range of Private Enterprise clients.
Our private enterprise team is bursting with entrepreneurial spirit. They work side-by-side with our clients to navigate challenges and opportunities at every stage of their growth. Whether it’s assurance, tax or advisory services, our private enterprise team members are dedicated to understanding our clients’ business and bringing new insights and strategies to help achieve their goals.
How you'll make a difference:
Plan, manage, and execute Compilation and Review engagements.
Prepare financial statements with appropriate note disclosure in accordance with ASPE.
Review and finalize corporate and personal income tax returns, and related financial statements.
Identify and research potential resolutions for technical issues that arise during the engagement.
Monitor progress of work being completed on files and communicate with team and partners.
Identify and analyze client needs and provide exceptional service and advice to our clients.
Assist with client management and foster excellent relationships with clients and initiate business development opportunities.
Train, develop and supervise intermediate and junior staff.

Who you are:

Qualified CPA with two years post managerial experience in a public practice firm working with Private Enterprise clients;
Extensive experience with Canadian tax preparation of personal and corporate tax returns and various other required filings (e.g., trust returns, tax elections, etc.).
Experience with CaseWare and Taxprep, (experience with QuickBooks, Simply Accounting and other cloud-based applications is an asset).
Experience with review engagements.
Knowledge of US taxation is an asset.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Strong project management skills with a demonstrated ability to manage time and adhere to strict deadlines and budget;
Demonstrated ability to work on multiple engagements concurrently.
Ability to adapt methodologies and techniques to unique circumstances.
Proven leadership, organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
Ability to develop a positive rapport and convey concepts and services with clients.
Commitment to professional and client service excellence.
Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.

Company Description:

Dale Matheson Carr-Hilton LaBonte LLP (DMCL) is a full-service accounting firm dedicated to helping our clients achieve and exceed their business goals, no matter how ambitious. As a leading Canadian firm with global reach, we continue to remain agile and responsive, providing clients with personalized and strategic solutions specific to their industry. With 30 partners and over 250 team members spread across Vancouver, Surrey, Tri-Cities (Port Coquitlam) and Victoria, working at DMCL means being part of a diversified team of expert advisors that view every day as a new opportunity to contribute to the success of our clients: solving costly problems, building long-lasting relationships and always striving for excellence.

Old 08-12-2023, 07:06 AM   #1099
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is anybody here in sports media, and able to tell me a little about the landscape in Calgary/Canada more broadly? Thinking about doing a year or two in Canada for some broader experience but a quick perusal of job boards suggests it's not exactly a booming job market.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:42 AM   #1100
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
Is anybody here in sports media, and able to tell me a little about the landscape in Calgary/Canada more broadly? Thinking about doing a year or two in Canada for some broader experience but a quick perusal of job boards suggests it's not exactly a booming job market.
I have a few friends that are in sports broadcasting. Honestly, a lot seems to be right place at the right time.

If you're working in radio for example, and the local sports team needs someone, it's an easy transition.

If you're looking to get on TV, networking and taking whatever is out there will get your foot in the door.

If it's play-by-play that you're looking for, you might want to be searching for CHL, and Junior A teams. CHL broadcasters travel with the team, I don't think lower level do, but I could be wrong on that.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post: