Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2018, 09:03 PM   #81
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I'm confused. On the question of who should be the backup goaltender, why is Rittich not even an option? I remember voting for him, and he's clearly the strongest candidate.

I love how fans are split on Curtis Lazar, but are more willing to keep Garnet Hathaway. Is it simply due to acquisition cost? Seems kinda dumb to me because Lazar is a much better player.

68% of fans saying to let Backlund go and yet 60% say keep Sam Bennett......goddam it.......why do fans not recognize players who are the real difference makers on a team? Sure, he wasn't as good as last year, but he's still really good at both ends of the ice. Is it simply because of the new contract? Is the love for Sam simply because of his age and draft pedigree? Seems stupid to me.

Also, I'm disappointed that the power play only got 12% of the vote for biggest reason for missing the playoffs. I could go into a rant on how special teams often lead to your position in the standings, but I'm too tired. Maybe tomorrow.

He is?

Im curious how you come to that conclusion.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:08 PM   #82
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Really surprised about 68% wanting Backlund gone.
Maybe they mixed up the "let him go" with the "keep him?"

I know his numbers were down this year, but I really doubt that more people would like to ship Backlund out than Brodie.

Also...68% is way too close to 88%.

Last edited by CF84; 04-11-2018 at 02:19 PM.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:12 PM   #83
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love how more people want Jerrard fired than Gulutzan, but the PK was probably the most consistently good attribute this season.

As for the "keep Gelinas" - what does he do? When Gulutzan was hired, it SEEMED like Gelinas was part in parcel to accepting the job here in Calgary, and Gulutzan just relegated him up there. How much of an impact did Gelinas have? I have no idea. Absolutely none.

What I find interesting is that Gelinas has received a nice learning experience from two very different coaches running very different systems and having very different personality styles. Maybe it has helped him, maybe it has just confused the heck out of him. Who is to know?

At any rate, this entire survey is cringe worthy with how leading some of the questions are. Who knows how many Edmonton fans have jumped on it too (who the heck is saying "Give Gulutzan a raise"???). These types of things can never be taken with anything other than from a purely entertaining standpoint.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #84
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
He is?

Purely my non expert opinion. A much better skater, better defensively, more hockey sense, better playmaker, slightly better shooter. I thought Hathaway was unimpressive for most of the year. Jooris 2.0.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #85
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I love how everyone wants the coaching staff let go but Gelinas has 70% support. Outside of his name how exactly is he some shining beacon?
Those who know Gelinas know he's a tireless worker and all around great guy. every good team has a coach like him and I certainly can see the 70% support for him.

Even if he just coached ethics Martin would be worth retaining.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:19 PM   #86
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

poll is closed now
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:23 PM   #87
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Very interesting to see how split fans are about Versteeg. I'm one of the people who voted to keep him and that margin is razor-thin.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #88
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Purely my non expert opinion. A much better skater, better defensively, more hockey sense, better playmaker, slightly better shooter. I thought Hathaway was unimpressive for most of the year. Jooris 2.0.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I thought they were pretty much the same player ....Lazar quicker, Hathaway grittier.

Both players that need to be upgraded.

But more hockey sense? All I saw was a guy skating around really fast doing...well...nothing. Rico Fata V2.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #89
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really surprised about 68% wanting Backlund gone.
Not surprised. Over-rated player who is now over-paid. Going to be tough paying a third line center that much money. Fans probably see him as a player to move while you have the opportunity.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #90
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm confused. On the question of who should be the backup goaltender, why is Rittich not even an option? I remember voting for him, and he's clearly the strongest candidate.
If you add them all up, there's 44% missing from the total. I assume that's what Rittich got.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:24 PM   #91
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Not surprised. Over-rated player who is now over-paid. Going to be tough paying a third line center that much money. Fans probably see him as a player to move while you have the opportunity.
-Goal production down 35% since last year.
-From a +9 to a - 21 this year.
-Doubled penalty minutes. 3rd most on the team, last year he was 11th on the team.
-Played all 82 games,no major injuries.
-Same linemates as last year.
-3 goals in last two calendar months of play, which was 32 games, and crucial games. He flat out disappeared when the pressure got turned up.
-But got a 5 year extension in the middle of all that.

He is a 3rd line center, playing on the second line because we don't have any better options.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #92
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
He is a 3rd line center, playing on the second line because we don't have any better options.
Preaching to the choir. I’ve been saying this for a couple years now. Backlund is a 3rd line center and you pay him as such. Too late now. Treliving gave him way more than he’s worth and the Flames are going to have to live with it. Jankowski will surpass Backlund this season, especially if the new coach gives him Tkachuk and Bennett as full time line mates. That is a line just waiting to drive the opposition crazy and be a thorn in their sides. Hopefully Backlund becomes that Selke shutdown center in the third line to earn his keep.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:56 PM   #93
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund had a bit of a down year, and even he admitted as much.

What people forget about Backlund is that he is absolutely buried in zone starts and quality of competition. It is really difficult to generate offence in those conditions.

Compare him to Bergeron, and you notice that Backlund plays much harder minutes. It is incredible he puts up any offence at all. Imagine if he got Monahan's zone starts and match-ups. It does make me wonder how much more offence you would see out of Backlund. It may really surprise a lot of people here.

Ideally you want Backlund to be the third line 'checking' center (because he is elite at checking), so that the other two lines can be better positioned to produce offence. It isn't because Backlund is a third-line center. When Darryl Sutter spoke about it, he said: "Best 3rd line in the NHL" - that's because of Backlund's ability to defend AND to put up points.

In a season where a LOT of players had down years, I give him a pass. Backlund's offence is not a product of Tkachuk - how then do you rationalize Bouma and Colborne? Backlund puts up ~50 points under very difficult circumstances with his principle assignment to go out and shut-down the best players on the other team. This is his first season in the last FIVE that Backlund finds himself a minus player (and awful at that). Just not a great season, but he has been a heck of an important piece for the Flames and he should be wearing an A.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:08 PM   #94
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If the poll supports it, can we reverse Backlund's massive raise?
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:10 PM   #95
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Backlund doesn't score much but he's awesome at defense. Only -21 on the year, worst on the team. Damn, did we just sign him for another 6 years? Way past his prime.
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:11 PM   #96
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Very interesting to see how split fans are about Versteeg. I'm one of the people who voted to keep him and that margin is razor-thin.
I voted to let him go. Tough one for sure. Good guy, leader, skilled, contributes, cares about winning. I get it.

But he's also getting older and is often injured. Would rather clear up the fourth line for a younger guy who can bring more energy, enthusiasm, but also bring skill!
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 11:16 PM   #97
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I feel the same about Versteeg. I like the guy and was thrilled we brought him back for another year but now I just don't think we need him anymore
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:09 AM   #98
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The powerplay metrics stick out for sure, but there's no denying that Versteeg doesn't do much at 5-on-5. I think if they hire a new PP coach he's gone

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:33 AM   #99
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
He is?

Hathaway is a prototypical 4th line grinder to me. I love Hathaway but I don’t see him having any upside higher than that.

Lazar has more talent, more untapped potential imo. I think if he ever gets a big confidence boost he could evolve into a good 3rd liner.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 12:46 AM   #100
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hathaways spot on the 3rd line is one we can upgrade. I do wonder if it comes to him and Lazar going into camp for the 4th line RW spot. Lazar really impressed as the season went on. I lost an avatar bet because he didnt get the 35 points I thought he would, But I liked what I saw.