Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2023, 12:00 PM   #1041
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man...I played for Calgary United many years ago, which was Calgary's professional arena league team, and we played a double-header in Saskatoon in the dead of winter, literally -40 outside, at Sasktel place...and I couldn't believe it, but there were over 2,000 people there. They got nothin' else to do lol.

There is a definite appetite for it there if they can get an ownership group and facility in place.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2023, 12:23 PM   #1042
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much do we figure it costs to make a 6000 seat soccer stadium?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 01:43 PM   #1043
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
How much do we figure it costs to make a 6000 seat soccer stadium?
Depends on the available budget. I'd put that anywhere from $7M (likely modular / pre-fabricated structure and as basic as you can get), to realistically $25-50M (for a cast-in-place structure with full sporting amenities), to upwards of $100M (non CPL-level, this would be for high profile events and leagues, likely in a Europe).

This is really crude, but Tottenham's new stadium opened in 2019 cost one billion pounds ($1.7B CDN in 2023), it seats 62,850 and has full amenities as you can get. Let's say a 6,000-seat stadium is crudely 1/10 of that (6,285 seats), so apprx. $170M if a proportional ratio are applied here. The cost for stadiums gets exponentially more expensive the larger their footprint expands outwards at-grade. 6,000 seats is a smaller footprint, so let's subtract another $70M from the construction cost, which brings that down to $100M, and another $30M for the professional amenities (not needed at CPL level). $70M would build an absolute ideal stadium.

That sounds like a lot, but in the design/construction world, it's actually... not that much anymore:
  • Last year, the City of Edmonton was going to spend $140M renovating Commonwealth to prepare it for the FIFA 2026 Games and another $40M on training centres around Edmonton (before they lost out on the bid), which is hardly a drop in the bucket for that type of work (compared to American and European budgets).
  • The new Calgary Foothills Fieldhouse will come in between $200-300M when it's all said an done.
  • The City of Vaughan in Ontario is building a $40-$50M soccer training centre in North Maple Ridge Park for Canada Soccer soon.
    The Shane Homes YMCA in Rocky Ridge, the new rec centre, cost $140M to build.
  • I assume the Cavs will be spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $15-20M for their new 9,000 stadium when it's all said and done. That's a while off though, and they already have reusable facilities at Spruce Meadows (washrooms, food services, amenities, parking, etc.).

A 6,000 seat stadium can be done for cheap. It can also be done expensive. Really depends on the owner, the league, and the location. Anything less that $50M, all in, would be palatable in 2023.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2023, 01:49 PM   #1044
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Depends on the available budget. I'd put that anywhere from $7M (likely modular / pre-fabricated structure and as basic as you can get), to realistically $25-50M (for a cast-in-place structure with full sporting amenities), to upwards of $100M (non CPL-level, this would be for high profile events and leagues, likely in a Europe).

This is really crude, but Tottenham's new stadium opened in 2019 cost one billion pounds ($1.7B CDN in 2023), it seats 62,850 and has full amenities as you can get. Let's say a 6,000-seat stadium is crudely 1/10 of that (6,285 seats), so apprx. $170M if a proportional ratio are applied here. The cost for stadiums gets exponentially more expensive the larger their footprint expands outwards at-grade. 6,000 seats is a smaller footprint, so let's subtract another $70M from the construction cost, which brings that down to $100M, and another $30M for the professional amenities (not needed at CPL level). $70M would build an absolute ideal stadium.

That sounds like a lot, but in the design/construction world, it's actually... not that much anymore:
  • Last year, the City of Edmonton was going to spend $140M renovating Commonwealth to prepare it for the FIFA 2026 Games and another $40M on training centres around Edmonton (before they lost out on the bid), which is hardly a drop in the bucket for that type of work (compared to American and European budgets).
  • The new Calgary Foothills Fieldhouse will come in between $200-300M when it's all said an done.
  • The City of Vaughan in Ontario is building a $40-$50M soccer training centre in North Maple Ridge Park for Canada Soccer soon.
    The Shane Homes YMCA in Rocky Ridge, the new rec centre, cost $140M to build.
  • I assume the Cavs will be spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $15-20M for their new 9,000 stadium when it's all said and done. That's a while off though, and they already have reusable facilities at Spruce Meadows (washrooms, food services, amenities, parking, etc.).

A 6,000 seat stadium can be done for cheap. It can also be done expensive. Really depends on the owner, the league, and the location. Anything less that $50M, all in, would be palatable in 2023.
I don't know...I've been to Tottenham and that stadium is magnificent (along with the football club!), but Atco is not even in the same class. And frankly, using that stadium which is genuinely world class and trying to base costs off that for the CPL is just not even close to accurate.

How much did Vancouver end up paying for Willoughby Park? That seems like a far more apt comparison for many reasons.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 01:54 PM   #1045
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that any plan for expansion should account for a stadium already existing and needing a little renovations rather than a new build. A modest $100M just doesn't make sense in the light of teams rarely if ever turning a profit.
Old 09-06-2023, 01:58 PM   #1046
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't know...I've been to Tottenham and that stadium is magnificent (along with the football club!), but Atco is not even in the same class. And frankly, using that stadium which is genuinely world class and trying to base costs off that for the CPL is just not even close to accurate.
I quite clearly said many times it's based on a crude formula, and not comparable for CPL (nowhere near what an English stadium demands). It was an estimated example for construction costs on an overall stadium from scratch, and a rough one at that. Don't look too much into it.

Quote:
How much did Vancouver end up paying for Willoughby Park? That seems like a far more apt comparison for many reasons.
Similar stadiums range from $10-25M. It's modular (which drastically reduces cost), and is a number used in the following article.

https://chatnewstoday.ca/2023/02/09/...-stadium-home/

Quote:
Such stadiums range in price from $10 million to $25 million. Shillington says his company already has a number of stadium projects across the country.

“This is by far the most affordable for municipalities and the quickest timeline for anyone to execute in any realistic way,” Shillington said.

Such projects can be done in eight to 12 months from start to finish, he added.
Old 09-06-2023, 02:01 PM   #1047
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I think that any plan for expansion should account for a stadium already existing and needing a little renovations rather than a new build. A modest $100M just doesn't make sense in the light of teams rarely if ever turning a profit.
I know there's a plan for Clarke Field in Edmonton (former home to FC Edmonton) to undergo renovations including concourse and canopies installed over the seating. Would put that budget around $12M. I think it's on the shelf though for the foreseeable future.
Old 09-08-2023, 10:21 AM   #1048
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### the forge
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM   #1049
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is always hard to tell because of ticket master tricks, but it looks like Cavalry will play Infront of a large hostile crowd.
I mean he stadium will still look empty but there might be 6000 people or more there.
Old 09-08-2023, 03:11 PM   #1050
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Hopefully Kyle's mom can keep her potty mouth under control for a match.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 07:38 AM   #1051
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pacific and Halifax drew yesterday which works well for Cavalry.

A win today puts Cavalry 6 points up on second with 5 games left to go and the two toughest opponents behind them until playoffs.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 07:48 AM   #1052
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

You can see how this year’s playoff format keeps the regular season more exciting. Every point matters because there are big playoff implications for every place in the standings. I know a lot of people thought it was gimmicky, but under previous year’s formats we’d be seeing teams coast to the finish line already.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 08:47 AM   #1053
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

My favourite playoff format was the one that should have had Cavalry v Cavalry in the final.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2023, 08:58 AM   #1054
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
You can see how this year’s playoff format keeps the regular season more exciting. Every point matters because there are big playoff implications for every place in the standings. I know a lot of people thought it was gimmicky, but under previous year’s formats we’d be seeing teams coast to the finish line already.
For me, the part that makes it more exciting is the CONCACAF league berth. I want to expand my repertoire of players I boo at. And make fun of them for wearing sleeves and gloves in 15C.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2023, 10:25 AM   #1055
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
For me, the part that makes it more exciting is the CONCACAF league berth. I want to expand my repertoire of players I boo at. And make fun of them for wearing sleeves and gloves in 15C.
Me too - In fact, the chance to play teams we haven't yet in Champions League I think has become more exciting for me than the chance at winning the league.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2023, 11:06 AM   #1056
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want the draw in the CONCACAF to work out so we get Messi at Spruce Meadows. I realise it's unlikely to say the very least, but that would obviously be incredible!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2023, 12:11 PM   #1057
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Me too - In fact, the chance to play teams we haven't yet in Champions League I think has become more exciting for me than the chance at winning the league.
I desperately want a Foot Soldiers away day of catching tossed ziploc bags of urine in Guatelmala!
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Howie_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2023, 04:50 PM   #1058
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to watch a team I love to win a championship once in my God damn life. I've suffered enough!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2023, 07:00 PM   #1059
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

A draw is a more than fine result especially with how the out of town scoreboard has gone lately.

Controlled things nicely out there
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2023, 07:01 PM   #1060
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

4 points ahead of second place with our two toughest opponents behind us? I'll take it.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , fced is no good / dead , ftf , soccer