Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #3641
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseFan View Post
But we don't need the Consitution to be amended. All we need is for the Federal party in power to state that the PM will "consider" the advice of the people of the nominating province when exercising his appointing power (i.e. he will respect their choices). The Supreme Court of Canada has stated this would be ok for the PM to do, so long as he doesn't completely abdicate that power.

One of my big disappointments in the Harper Government is that this has been inconsistent and indeed only the minority of appointments from Alberta. This has also led to voter and indeed candidate apathy (with no Federal party even putting a person up).
We need a constitutional amendment for senate elections to be binding. Until then, the PM of the day can appoint anyone he or she chooses. If a more left-wing province also had non-binding senate elections and voted for a Liberal or NDP candidate, does anyone really think Harper would appoint him or her?
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #3642
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I declined my senate ballot.

No Evergreen candidate in my riding.

The Church where the polling station was, set-up a table at the front door trying to attract members. Is that appropriate?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #3643
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Not me.

Until the constitution is amended to have legitimately-elected senators, this is just a stupid exercise. Does anyone really think the PM of the day is going to fill a vacant Alberta senate seat with an "elected" candidate with a conflicting political ideology?
Stan Waters would likely disagree with you; he was elected under the Reform banner and appointed by a PC. We have had three senators appointed who won the nomination and were subsequently appointed as senators.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #3644
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn View Post
Yes. I don't think it's a joke and spent the time going through the 13 websites along with listening to a few on QR77 to make a decision.

And no, I just didn't pick all the Wildrose candidates...
They are voting on a ficticious position in the most irrelevant aspect of the Canadian government, it holds the same weight as you voting your child to be the Queen, sure it may sound fancy, but it doesn't doesn't change the fact that it doesn't matter.

Edit: Queen/King in waiting of course.

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 04-23-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #3645
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I destroyed my senate ballet.

I actually think that harper can pick a better representive for alberta the me picking from 13 guys i dont care about or want to spend the time learning about.

Really i am willing to bet that the senate results closely tracks the popula vote. So really instead of the feds just picking someone who supports them the people just pick someone from the party in power.

Really just shut the whole senate down and let us enjoy our elected dictator.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #3646
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
They are voting on a ficticious position in the most irrelevant aspect of the Canadian government, it holds the same weight as you voting your child to be the Queen, sure it may sound fancy, but it doesn't doesn't change the fact that it doesn't matter.

Edit: Queen/King in waiting of course.
This is outrageous! When did they start voting for the Queen? We should dissolve the monarchy altogether if this is what it's come to.

Does anyone know how you go about getting on the ballot for this Senator position? There was a cast of thousands on the ballot, and a bunch of them were called "Independent", so they didn't even need the backing of anyone to get in there.

Running for Senator would look pretty good on a resume, especially if you don't have to do much, and don't have a chance of moving to Ottawa. Maybe next time...

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #3647
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I destroyed my senate ballet.

I actually think that harper can pick a better representive for alberta the me picking from 13 guys i dont care about or want to spend the time learning about.
Harper could. Chretien and Martin didn't. That is why I value the senate election enough to continue voting in it. I want Albertans deciding who represents Albertans, not Quebecers and Ontarians.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #3648
IntenseFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
If a more left-wing province also had non-binding senate elections and voted for a Liberal or NDP candidate, does anyone really think Harper would appoint him or her?
No. But as I said, he has disappointed me on this issue immensely.

A PM more respecting of democracy would say to the Provinces, "Please have a senate election because absent something bizzare, I will appoint the winners in virtually every case" and then would proceed to do so.

That would be good enough for me, especially if the PM is around long enough to build momentum and expectations associated with that practice.
IntenseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #3649
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to disagree with those saying the Senate race is a joke. I don't see any reason why Harper won't "appoint" the Senators that we "elect" today. If he doesn't, then yes, I would agree it would be a joke, but I can't see him doing that.

People have asked for a long time for an elected senate. Harper campaigned on it. Although it is not implemented yet, in Alberta we get to elect senate members, yet 99% of people voting today will have no idea what they are doing with the second ballot or who these people are.

And FYI, I refused the MLA ballot and voted on the Senate ballot. Maybe I was the only person in the province to do that.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #3650
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
This is outrageous! When did they start voting for the Queen? We should dissolve the monarchy altogether if this is what it's come to.

Does anyone know how you go about getting on the ballot for this Senator position? There was a cast of thousands on the ballot, and a bunch of them were called "Independent", so they didn't even need the backing of anyone to get in there.

Running for Senator would look pretty good on a resume, especially if you don't have to do much, and don't have a chance of moving to Ottawa. Maybe next time...
To run you need to collect 1500 signatures to have your name on the ballot. There is also a property requirement on the ballot in that you need to have real property that is worth at least $4000 more than you owe on it. You also have to be over 30 and live in the province you plan to represent.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #3651
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
We'll let history be the judge, not Coyne's opinion of what will happen. Keep in mind that Harper is representing all regions of Canada (except Newfoundland I guess) and can't bring in a budget that would make his Alberta base entirely happy. There is also an Ontario base now that has a say in policy. Compared to the other parties I am confident that they are by far the most Conservative option, best for the economy and will keep spending at reasonable levels. Can't imagine if the NDP had won.
It's not Coyne's predictions, it's Coyne's analysis of what the Conservatives themselves have said they are going to do. And I love your Conservative-NDP implied false dichotomy. There's an option between the Conservatives and the NDP, and they're the ones who have done the best job in the past 20 or so years.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #3652
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Harper could. Chretien and Martin didn't. That is why I value the senate election enough to continue voting in it. I want Albertans deciding who represents Albertans, not Quebecers and Ontarians.
Just letting the province appoint them would be better than us electing them. But really the senate doesnt serve a purpose. Its original concept was to protect the rich from democracy, hence the property requirement for running.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #3653
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like that they didn't think to put an inflation clause in the property requirement.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #3654
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
And FYI, I refused the MLA ballot and voted on the Senate ballot. Maybe I was the only person in the province to do that.
I would bet a dollar that you are indeed the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
There's an option between the Conservatives and the NDP, and they're the ones who have done the best job in the past 20 or so years.
Fiscally the Liberals were pretty good, of course they pretty much governed the opposite of what they promised to get elected. When we have a track record of majority governments, Harper vs. Cretien, then we can look back and compare. Also, the current Liberal party is a shell of it's former self.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #3655
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The former senate page turned attention whore is back

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/04...4.html#s896888
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #3656
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what adds to the apathy about the Senate vote is the reality that the Senate really doesn't matter as the Senate almost never rejects bills passed by the House, making their votes largely irrelevant.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #3657
Chump
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
How solidly Liberal is solidly Liberal?
Other than that year Decore got 30ish seats everything else was a landslide.
Klein Years
1993 Lib 18 NDP 0 PC 0
1997 Lib 15 NDP 2 PC 2
2001 Lib 6 NDP 2 PC 11
2004 Lib 11 NDP 4 PC 3

Stelmach Year
2008 Lib 3 NDP 3 PC 13
Chump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #3658
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiled my senate ballot - wrote that we don't have an elected senate and therefore this whole excersize was stupid and pointless.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #3659
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The former senate page turned attention whore is back
I like Smiths joking response "Smith observed that her party must be doing well if the opposition was importing protesters from Ottawa."
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #3660
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chump View Post
Klein Years
1993 Lib 18 NDP 0 PC 0
1997 Lib 15 NDP 2 PC 2
2001 Lib 6 NDP 2 PC 11
2004 Lib 11 NDP 4 PC 3

Stelmach Year
2008 Lib 3 NDP 3 PC 13
So what has actually been shown is that edmonton doesnt like voting for Calgary premiers and Calgary just votes for oil and gas
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:

Tags
alberta , election , get off butt & vote