Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-08-2023, 11:48 AM   #21
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I don't have any Ring cameras inside my house. I have two in my garage, but I have the mic recording off just because I hang out in there a fair amount and don't like the idea of my conversations with my friends or my kids' conversations with their friends being recorded. When my kids have garage parties I unplug the cameras just so they have privacy, too, although a bunch of my beers from the beer fridge went missing last time so IDK.

Anyway, do you have the indoor ones set up in your living room and stuff? I'm not comfortable being recorded like that. No issue for you, something you get used to, trade off worth it for the security you feel it provides? Just curious.
Your phone already does that. No matter what the settings are, assume that they can hear and see much of what you're doing depending on positioning of cameras and mics. Unplugging and no power is the only way to consider it off.

For in house, I just point it at the doorways and specific spots I want to occasionally monitor. I don't have it all over the house. The only time I had one in a room was for baby monitoring purposes. There's unmonitored zones on purpose that aren't "common area". As mentioned, the best defense against stolen footage is being the most boring ever.

I have more concern about my cell phone camera and mic maybe being on maliciously than I would for other cameras. I just assume those cameras can at any time be malicious any time and I physically control when it can and cannot be in the same way you unplug yours because it's a "risk" I'll take for features/convenience reasons. TBH, don't unplug it when your kids are there. Just leave it on and say it will never be monitored unless some reason afterwards requires it to be checked (ie: someone crashes a car into the garage while they're inside).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 11:56 AM   #22
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Your phone already does that. No matter what the settings are, assume that they can hear and see much of what you're doing depending on positioning of cameras and mics. Unplugging and no power is the only way to consider it off.

For in house, I just point it at the doorways and specific spots I want to occasionally monitor. I don't have it all over the house. The only time I had one in a room was for baby monitoring purposes. There's unmonitored zones on purpose that aren't "common area". As mentioned, the best defense against stolen footage is being the most boring ever.

I have more concern about my cell phone camera and mic maybe being on maliciously than I would for other cameras. I just assume those cameras can at any time be malicious any time and I physically control when it can and cannot be in the same way you unplug yours because it's a "risk" I'll take for features/convenience reasons. TBH, don't unplug it when your kids are there. Just leave it on and say it will never be monitored unless some reason afterwards requires it to be checked (ie: someone crashes a car into the garage while they're inside).
Good thoughts on everything and I hear you on the bolded, but I do want the kids to be able to just be kids without being recorded/monitored. Obviously they kind of got up to no good a bit since some beers went missing, but it's a high school party. I talked to them about A. stealing B. underage drinking and C. not being tits on our property. I'd rather just not let them hang in there before I start video recording them.

I guess another concern I have would be having recordings of underage people in compromising positions. Imagine if you saw some skin or something? Idk, I don't want recordings of high school kids just having fun and I also want them to be comfortable at my house just being themselves without Big Sliver watching. I'm definitely not one of those parents that would just let them drink, do drugs, etc...but I also don't mind giving them a bit of slack, too. I mean, my daughter will be 18 in, like, nine months. Have to start letting her transition into young adulthood now (imo).
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 12:08 PM   #23
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I monitor exterior doors only (which is a surprising number actually). It's nice to match child coming home from school, for example, to exterior and then interior cam. They all record all motion, home or away.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:59 PM   #24
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Lorex camera 2 pack from Costco is great. The app works very well on a new ish phone (S21 here), internal SD storage for the cameras, no monthly fees and all you need for the install is a 120v plug within ~12 feet of the camera location. Motion zones are highly customizable too.

Overall I'm very happy with their product
I've also been happy with Lorex. We have a mix of wifi cameras and IP cameras for prewired locations. All stored locally with remote access. Checks all the boxes - recoding, storing and viewing video.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:15 PM   #25
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good thoughts on everything and I hear you on the bolded, but I do want the kids to be able to just be kids without being recorded/monitored. Obviously they kind of got up to no good a bit since some beers went missing, but it's a high school party. I talked to them about A. stealing B. underage drinking and C. not being tits on our property. I'd rather just not let them hang in there before I start video recording them.

I guess another concern I have would be having recordings of underage people in compromising positions. Imagine if you saw some skin or something? Idk, I don't want recordings of high school kids just having fun and I also want them to be comfortable at my house just being themselves without Big Sliver watching. I'm definitely not one of those parents that would just let them drink, do drugs, etc...but I also don't mind giving them a bit of slack, too. I mean, my daughter will be 18 in, like, nine months. Have to start letting her transition into young adulthood now (imo).
OT, but that's why you teach them not to be stupid and get caught. "Kiddos! There's a camera here. If it records ####, you're an idiot! Don't be idiots! Go into the back alley or back yard to grab a boob or chug a beer. I'm only reviewing footage if someone got hurt or for insurance purposes if something happens. I'm deleting the footage the week after if no one was injured, but still don't be stupid and allow yourself to be recorded in a way you don't want others to see."

Market the garage as a safe space with lots of freedom. Kids should exit that space to protect it if they want to do rule breaking stuff. TBH, kids respect that. It's a little bit how I grew up.

My house was the safe space with fewer rules we protected. We could secretly return there if drunk or high, but we couldn't get drunk or high there or admit we were drunk or high there, so this was rare. The space we went to do stuff like that was a ####tier place which we didn't prefer. It taught us time and place and privilege vs rules don't have to apply and since there wasn't a restriction on stuff like that, we didn't really care as much to do that stuff as often but were very diligent in protecting and self policing that unique space.

In the end, my place had the right reputation amongst the parents and the kids on occasion got to go to our place to hang out, but not other places to hang out. Kids understand this. Some kids that drank or got high regularly would be sober all night at ours. Hang out, play games, play guitar, help cook and clean etc. By the time it got to my brother's group, they often would tackle larger "projects" and come to our place to to cook large meals together, and they would actually request our supervision and occasional involvement and plan around that. These kids viewed mine and my parents supervision and presence as a positive vs negative. They did things like cheese and chocolate fondue (asked us how to cut certain fruits), hot pot, BBQ (how to light it, how to shut it off, how to know food was done etc.), baking cakes, how to clean etc. and then they'd clean and go watch movies/play video games afterwards. Parents literally would talk to mine and comment how well behaved their kid was at our place. It was weird and kinda annoying to be labeled as the goodie two shoes kid growing up, or be the responsible one that could be contacted to be reliable and secretly drive them home from parties or raves or be the one to bail them out of some slightly sketchy situations but stay quiet about it. But in hindsight, it was pretty good to have that type of environment.

To add to that, my parents on occasion would also tell some parents bad mouthing their kids that they had seen nothing but good stuff from their kids. This did change the perspective of some parents, who didn't understand or spend time with their kids, in a positive way. My parents occasionally would ask me if I was aware of any situation with any kid that might need to be brought up, but never delved into details. This actually meant I would relay to the kid in reverse, "Yo, by the way, just as a heads up, your parents are poking into stuff like this. You might want to address it or cover up your trail better." or "Hey, your parents shared this concern with us. We didn't know this. Anything we can do for you or you'd like us to tell your parents that you don't want to tell them yourself?"
Old 06-08-2023, 01:26 PM   #26
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
OT, but that's why you teach them not to be stupid and get caught. "Kiddos! There's a camera here. If it records ####, you're an idiot! Don't be idiots! Go into the back alley or back yard to grab a boob or chug a beer. I'm only reviewing footage if someone got hurt or for insurance purposes if something happens. I'm deleting the footage the week after if no one was injured, but still don't be stupid and allow yourself to be recorded in a way you don't want others to see."

Market the garage as a safe space with lots of freedom. Kids should exit that space to protect it if they want to do rule breaking stuff. TBH, kids respect that. It's a little bit how I grew up.

My house was the safe space with fewer rules we protected. We could secretly return there if drunk or high, but we couldn't get drunk or high there or admit we were drunk or high there, so this was rare. The space we went to do stuff like that was a ####tier place which we didn't prefer. It taught us time and place and privilege vs rules don't have to apply and since there wasn't a restriction on stuff like that, we didn't really care as much to do that stuff as often but were very diligent in protecting and self policing that unique space.

In the end, my place had the right reputation amongst the parents and the kids on occasion got to go to our place to hang out, but not other places to hang out. Kids understand this. Some kids that drank or got high regularly would be sober all night at ours. Hang out, play games, play guitar, help cook and clean etc. By the time it got to my brother's group, they often would tackle larger "projects" and come to our place to to cook large meals together, and they would actually request our supervision and occasional involvement and plan around that. These kids viewed mine and my parents supervision and presence as a positive vs negative. They did things like cheese and chocolate fondue (asked us how to cut certain fruits), hot pot, BBQ (how to light it, how to shut it off, how to know food was done etc.), baking cakes, how to clean etc. and then they'd clean and go watch movies/play video games afterwards. Parents literally would talk to mine and comment how well behaved their kid was at our place. It was weird and kinda annoying to be labeled as the goodie two shoes kid growing up, or be the responsible one that could be contacted to be reliable and secretly drive them home from parties or raves or be the one to bail them out of some slightly sketchy situations but stay quiet about it. But in hindsight, it was pretty good to have that type of environment.

To add to that, my parents on occasion would also tell some parents bad mouthing their kids that they had seen nothing but good stuff from their kids. This did change the perspective of some parents, who didn't understand or spend time with their kids, in a positive way. My parents occasionally would ask me if I was aware of any situation with any kid that might need to be brought up, but never delved into details. This actually meant I would relay to the kid in reverse, "Yo, by the way, just as a heads up, your parents are poking into stuff like this. You might want to address it or cover up your trail better." or "Hey, your parents shared this concern with us. We didn't know this. Anything we can do for you or you'd like us to tell your parents that you don't want to tell them yourself?"
I think we're generally on the same page here, but I just still don't want to record them. And some things maybe it's better I just not know. I have a outdoor cameras so I know who is coming and going, but once in the garage I think some privacy is fair. I trust them not to go too far and if they fuuck things up too bad then garage privileges are gone. No more lasers. No more smoke machine. No more disco ball. Done.

If I didn't trust them then I wouldn't want them in the garage, cameras or not. Also, teens really do need a bit of leeway to mess up sometimes. I do prefer they hang out at my house versus sketchier places and I like young people, anyway. These kids are recorded everywhere nowadays, including just walking into the garage. I'm perfectly happy right now providing a place where they aren't being recorded. I would have hated to have been videoed when I was their age just hanging out doing my thing by some weird Dad.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 01:40 PM   #27
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I pulled the trigger on these this afternoon:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My wife says we don't need the doorbell cam, and she's likely right, but it would have been a good excuse to get another toy.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 03:08 PM   #28
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think we're generally on the same page here, but I just still don't want to record them. And some things maybe it's better I just not know. I have a outdoor cameras so I know who is coming and going, but once in the garage I think some privacy is fair. I trust them not to go too far and if they fuuck things up too bad then garage privileges are gone. No more lasers. No more smoke machine. No more disco ball. Done.

If I didn't trust them then I wouldn't want them in the garage, cameras or not. Also, teens really do need a bit of leeway to mess up sometimes. I do prefer they hang out at my house versus sketchier places and I like young people, anyway. These kids are recorded everywhere nowadays, including just walking into the garage. I'm perfectly happy right now providing a place where they aren't being recorded. I would have hated to have been videoed when I was their age just hanging out doing my thing by some weird Dad.
Ah, I didn't know the outside was monitored. You're covered. I assumed the garage one was the only camera. My mistake. Indeed we are completely on the same page.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2023, 07:19 PM   #29
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Bumping as one of the cameras is exposed and gets some rain on the front of it. Any suggestions for a covering?

I'm sure I can whip something up, but I'm asking in case someone knows a good and simple solution.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 08:45 AM   #30
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone else been setting up dummy cameras or "video camera monitoring" signs around as a deterrent?

Like an extension of the fake, "This house is monitored by X security company" stickers, I thought I saw an increase in this over the last few years.

My buddy had one on his driveway that failed years ago. He never got around dealing with it. He says he frequently video feed from his Ring where people walk onto his driveway and look up at the camera (delivery drivers, friends etc.). People are aware of it without knowing it isn't function, but he's not convinced it's an actual deterrent.
Yup- I have stickers, a couple of Amazon Blink Cameras that work ok, and one of these fake ones from Princess Auto- Even has a light!

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deco...t/PA0008180325
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:14 AM   #31
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Oh, I know. And I am personally offended for life. Unless we have a duel. E-bike jousting at dusk?
This feels like a miss. E-bike? Really? Rascal jousting was right there and a lot funnier. Who else will keep asinine CP memes going if not you? If not all of us? I really feel kind of let down and just sad.
Old 06-22-2023, 08:14 AM   #32
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Eufy and Reolink both look interesting, but damn, both Chinese companies. Any good ones that aren't Chinese?
I used Reolinks at my old house and had no qualms about them being a Chinese company. And the quality of the devices was really good too. I used the PoE 5MP cameras and the 8 channel NVR.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote