Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-05-2023, 01:51 PM   #61
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't quote Sec but why would Adams publicly lie rather than just dodge the question and give a non-committal answer.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:53 PM   #62
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Can't quote Sec but why would Adams publicly lie rather than just dodge the question and give a non-committal answer.
Because Tre was pissed that it leaked out and had to play damage control. It was all down hill for Chucky negotiations. The leak came out of Buffalo and Kevin Adam’s had to save face to GMs around the league.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:14 PM   #63
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I never understand the we should have given Tkachuk this deal stuff.

First of all he lies and tells the media and fans whatever they need to hear. He fell in love with the city during our playoffs mini run and turned around and said he has no desire to be here long term a month later.

Brady has zero to do with Matthew. Just because he wanted to stay in Ottawa doesn't mean Matthew wanted to stay here.

He would not have taken 7.75 on a 8 year deal. It sounds like at best it would have been 6 years at 9.5 plus.

Before he was bridged you certainly could have signed him for around 8x8. Who cares what happened afterwards. It was a bad decision not to sign him when he was willing, at an age that most elite players are getting locked up at now. Who knows what would have transpired in that alternate reality, but I do know there would be little to no regrets with having Tkachuk for a few more seasons right now over Huberdeau.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:24 PM   #64
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do think that Tre was correct in valuing Tkachuk over Eichel, as I think Tkachuk is a more impactful player than Eichel but obviously it would be nice to have Eichel instead of what we ended up getting for Tkachuk.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:35 PM   #65
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I do think that Tre was correct in valuing Tkachuk over Eichel, as I think Tkachuk is a more impactful player than Eichel but obviously it would be nice to have Eichel instead of what we ended up getting for Tkachuk.
Top line centres are so valuable though and hard to get if you don't draft them.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 03:36 PM   #66
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adams probably doing Treliving a solid by saying Tkachuk wasn't involved in the negotiations you don't want that stuff to leak during the season.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:55 PM   #67
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I just knew somebody would post in the first 5 or so responses that we should have done this deal with Tkachuk lol

It would have taken a lot higher AAV to get it done, and then those same folks would have been bitching non stop for the next two seasons when Tkachuk's production regressed from his (at the time) career high in 2018/19.

For those saying this is a great deal for Caufield, I'm glad it's settled right now and we don't have to wait to se how the next 8 seasons go lol
You can get upset and throw in as many lol's as you want but that doesn't mean they're wrong. The Habs bought into a young (American) player they believe in, the Flames didn't with theirs, simple as that. It wasn't fait accompli that Tkachuk was leaving, that's just an excuse for a poor GM and a way for fans to cope.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 04:00 PM   #68
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

But where did we have an Alex Tuch? Not to mention the personal piece with Tuch (wanting to be in Buffalo long term)..
Mangiapne's numbers in Calgary and Tuch's numbers in Vegas before the trade in 2020-2021 are incredible similar, so that's the piece.
Old 06-05-2023, 04:18 PM   #69
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other Canadian teams are learning from Calgary's misfortune.
They are giving out contracts to ensure they don't get Calgary'd; we have become textbook material to study.

Certainly some risk in whether the players will live up to the contracts but they've been the risk of not tying them up too & are going with this calculation.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 04:31 PM   #70
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Mangiapne's numbers in Calgary and Tuch's numbers in Vegas before the trade in 2020-2021 are incredible similar, so that's the piece.
Buffalo would have still picked Tuch. I would have at the time too.

IIRC Tuch had just signed a nice deal and Mangiapane had yet to sign so there's that as well.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:38 PM   #71
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Gaudreau
Eichel
Tkachuk
Lindholm

They’d have been a top-5 team in the west for five years with that core.

But, they’re not, and so we move on.
Don't forget about Fox, a Norris winner drafted in the 3rd round and won it while still on his ELC and who should have never been allowed to utilize the system to go wherever the heck he wanted. The rules should make it so he had to put his time in with the team that drafted him before being able to go free agent.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 08:58 PM   #72
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I can see this contract turning bad for the team or the player, so probably a fair deal.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:07 PM   #73
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I can see this contract turning bad for the team or the player, so probably a fair deal.
Cole Caufield has now guaranteed himself 62 million dollars at the age of 30, probably won't go bad for him.