Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2023, 06:27 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default The Athletic: How Sutter lost the room and his job

Pretty thorough read. Perhaps most shocking bit was the organization investigated an alleged physical contact between Sutter and a player.

https://theathletic.com/4614335/2023...shared_article

Quote:
That loss was the beginning of a seven-game skid, and Sutter’s berating and erratic behavior increased. By November, the team became aware of an incident in which he was alleged to have made physical contact with a player on the bench during a game, according to three league sources, who were granted anonymity because they were not authorized to speak about the matter. Players and staff members were interviewed about the alleged incident. According to multiple league sources, the player told his teammates he did not find the contact to have crossed a line and did not want to see the matter escalated. (The player did not return The Athletic’s request to speak with him).

Sutter, in a text message, denied the allegation. “Pretty clear that everyone that knows me (knows) that none of that is true, disappointing to hear,” he wrote. He declined to comment further about his time in Calgary. But added: “Flames are good hockey club, missed playoffs by couple points, finished 11 games over .500 in tough division that won Stanley Cup.”'

Players were asked about Sutter’s actions beyond that particular incident. What became of that probe is unknown — the Flames did not return a request for comment — but at the least unrest within the locker room, and concern about Sutter’s conduct, was now squarely on the team’s radar.

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-16-2023 at 06:34 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 06:51 AM   #2
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

That pretty much confirms what I heard about the room in December.

It was untenable and toxic as much or more than it was in LA.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:16 AM   #3
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It’s amazing how quickly I personally went from ‘Sutter the saviour’ to ‘Good riddance’.

When he said “unfinished business”, I just assumed he meant in the Stanley Cup sense …not the Mortal Kombat sense.

Hope he never gets near this team again in any capacity.

Last edited by scotty2hotty; 06-16-2023 at 07:57 AM.
scotty2hotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotty2hotty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 07:19 AM   #4
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Yeesh. Yeah….it was time to move on
Old 06-16-2023, 07:20 AM   #5
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sad that this happened to one of my favorite coaches.

Just enjoy what you like doing most, Darryl. Your farm is what you should be caring about
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 07:21 AM   #6
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow! If true, the timing of this incident and the team’s struggles would certainly coincide.

If a leader makes this type of mistake with a player on their team, it’s always going to be difficult to put it behind you as a player or in the corporate world as an individual contributor.

Trust is a massive factor and once it is breached, the best thing to do is admit that whatever incident took place actually happened, address it first with the management team, figure out the most comfortable method to address it with the individual, and then address it with the team behind closed doors if the individual is amenable to moving on.

Not sure if the player truly didn’t think it was a big deal or they didn’t want to draw any more attention to the fact that it took place, but based on this information it certainly sounds like they just wanted to move past it.

Imagine if this was a younger player and how it affected the team dynamics moving forward.

I can’t see Sutter making physical contact with any of his veteran players that are and have been his staunch supporters, but I should have prefaced all of this with there’s too many unknowns and we probably will never know the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2023, 07:37 AM   #7
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
It’s amazing how quickly I personally went from ‘Sutter the saviour’ to ‘Good riddance’.

Hope he never gets near this team again in any capacity.
It sure felt like it went from 2004-2010 in less than a calendar year. Sutter was behind the bench for 2 of the Flames 3 division titles in the cap era. He coached the team to the cup final, they made the playoffs 5 years in a row when he was in charge from 04-09. They had their best regular season since the 80’s and truly looked like an elite contender in 2022. Just like in 2010 when he made those horrible trades with the Leafs and Rangers and the team missed the playoffs it was clear there was a dark cloud hanging over the org. Sutter definitely needed to go and it sucks because I was so happy when he came back and I loved how the team played last season.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:40 AM   #8
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like the physical contact thing wasn't anything major as the player ultimately decided it wasn't worth escalating. Still it kind of makes the allegation of kicking a Kings player seem more probable. The 2022/23 Flames team was different than the year prior and so was Sutter. It seems like pretty early on he didn't see eye to eye with one or more of the new additions and things snowballed from there. I'm kind of sad his legacy ended like this but it's clear a lot of it was his own doing for reasons only he knows.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 07:40 AM   #9
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was also interesting to read how Tkachuk and Gudbransen played the role of buffer in 2022 and how those guys leaving made it tougher this year.

It sucks so much that Chucky didn’t stay and become the clear captain of this team going forward. I think the combination of his contract situation, Covid restrictions, Sutter we’re all the nails in the coffin for him sticking around.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 07:53 AM   #10
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I touched on it lightly a while ago and got raked over the coals a bit for suggesting it, but I still think some of the stuff Sutter did was borderline abusive. It is suggested for example that he withheld meals on flights after losses.

Quote:
Via his Twitter account, Carcillo recalled Sutter prohibiting players from eating on the team plane after a bad loss and telling a female flight attendant to “f— off” when she “didn’t roll the food away fast enough.” Carcillo said he also saw Sutter kick a player in the back during a game and berate former Kings defenseman Matt Greene for being around the team when he had a concussion.
Now granted, Carcillo is no saint and has a poor reputation for being a credible source. BUT, this comment did appear in that coach review website (probably Carcillo though?) and I've heard it suggested in the past this was a thing he did. Imagine a junior coach doing this to his players after a loss, keeping his players hungry for losing a game. People would be screaming for his head.

Even the Flames' player who said that he didn't think the physical altercation with Sutter crossed a line, does that mean some kind of physical interaction did in fact occur, just not "strong" enough to be considered over the line? Plenty of reports of him being verbally abusive to not only players, but other staff including arena staff. Jesus, the #### is wrong with that guy?

To me, Sutter's rep has gone down the ####ter after last season. Thank you for reinvigorating the franchise in the early 2000s and the memories. But go #### yourself for some of the things you have clearly gotten away with over your career under the guise of being one of the winningest coaches ever. I was a "in Sutter we trust" guy for the longest time. But hard to feel any kind of sympathy for him, especially since he's shown zero remorse for anything he's done.

Bleh, glad to turn the page on him.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 08:06 AM   #11
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Sounds like the physical contact thing wasn't anything major as the player ultimately decided it wasn't worth escalating. Still it kind of makes the allegation of kicking a Kings player seem more probable. The 2022/23 Flames team was different than the year prior and so was Sutter. It seems like pretty early on he didn't see eye to eye with one or more of the new additions and things snowballed from there. I'm kind of sad his legacy ended like this but it's clear a lot of it was his own doing for reasons only he knows.
First time I had heard about something like that (bench altercation) happening on the team this year. Don't think I would have missed it, so I assume they did a great job at keeping it quiet.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 08:06 AM   #12
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

I could have sworn Conroy said Sutter kicked him in the back one time on the bench. Back in 2003/2004 season. In a radio interview. It pissed him off.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CedarMeter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 08:06 AM   #13
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Didn’t I just see someone post Laviolette punching a player in the head on the bench?

And he just got hired, after being on clear as day tape. Seems odd the Athletic zeros in on the same allegation but completely ignores the other? What makes one ok the other not?

I am not excusing Sutter rather wondering why the selective outrage. Should all these coaches not be reprimanded?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:13 AM   #14
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Didn’t I just see someone post Laviolette punching a player in the head on the bench?

And he just got hired, after being on clear as day tape. Seems odd the Athletic zeros in on the same allegation but completely ignores the other? What makes one ok the other not?

I am not excusing Sutter rather wondering why the selective outrage. Should all these coaches not be reprimanded?
This was a Darryl Sutter Flames story. The author simply stated what happened and did not debate or compare the incident to other coaches as it was not the point of the story. Simply reporting that there was a team investigation on the matter. I don't see a lot of outrage here to be honest.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 08:14 AM   #15
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post

It’s not an article about over aggressive coaches it’s an article about Sutter
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:17 AM   #16
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we just erase last season already?
Old 06-16-2023, 08:19 AM   #17
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A source close to the flames told me this early in the season, and said it was Weegar. I did not believe it, did not tell anyone, post here, nothing as i thought it was 100% bogus despite the source generally being right always..
Old 06-16-2023, 08:22 AM   #18
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I had to read this part twice. It might be that it wasn't even the player that brought the incident up. And the player didn't think it was a big deal (out of fear or didn't want to rock the boat or it actually wasn't a big deal?):

Quote:
By November, the team became aware of an incident in which he was alleged to have made physical contact with a player on the bench during a game, according to three league sources, who were granted anonymity
Old 06-16-2023, 08:31 AM   #19
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Must have been confidence inspiring for Treliving to once again have a coach he hired be under investigation for poor conduct with players.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 08:33 AM   #20
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if it was anything major or not but the fact a player didn't want to escalate an issue with a coach doesn't prove anything. That is basically the hockey 'code'.

You hear all these wild hazing stories from junior and you know they didn't just start happening recently - its just the hockey culture of keeping things in house or not causing a stir is so prevalent that you let the vets or the coach get away with things you'd never allow in other aspects of your life.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post: