Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2023, 11:05 AM   #521
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Hopkins has a small set of teams, and then will want somewhere close to his last salary (certainly not $1 or $2M for a guy older coming off a PED suspension). But, to placate Lamar, never know. Soent see the Chargers getting in a bidding war.

In other news Jimmy G's foot injury is bad enough that the Raiders redid his contract a while back and he doesn't get paid a signing bonus, instead all dependant on him suiting up for the season. So, the Raiders can cut him at anytime without financial or cap penalty.
It's not that his injury was bad and more that he couldn't pass the physical at the time of the contract signing. All indications are that the team expects him to be ready to start the season. Still I wouldn't hedge my bets on him playing 17 games regardless.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:49 AM   #522
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

thought there might be a trade market for him, but writing's been on the wall for a while.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1666815444907618306
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 07:04 PM   #523
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not really current football but kinda crazy that primetime might get his foot amputated.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 01:57 PM   #524
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Tyreek Hill is an exceptional talent...but the fact that he can't seem to control his urge to assault people was a good reason to trade him and let another team wait for his AB like behavior to leave them hanging.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:32 PM   #525
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
thought there might be a trade market for him, but writing's been on the wall for a while.

The RB position has a short lifespan now. He's past his prime and it doesn't make sense for teams to waste money on guys like him. Teams are better off taking a chance in the draft and landing a guy for 5 or 6 years.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 11:09 AM   #526
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

More gambling suspensions coming up
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rs-others-week
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 10:15 AM   #527
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man ESPN recently laid off some big names in regards to NFL coverage. Pretty savage moves as other big names in sports laid off as well.

Keyshawn Johnson, NFL analyst
Matt Hasselbeck, NFL analyst
Rob Ninkovich, NFL analyst
Steve Young, NFL analyst
Suzy Kolber, NFL host
Todd McShay, NFL Draft analyst

Kolber and McShay have been part of their coverage for a long time. I guess the draft stuff is all Mel Kiper now.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:27 AM   #528
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Man ESPN recently laid off some big names in regards to NFL coverage. Pretty savage moves as other big names in sports laid off as well.

Keyshawn Johnson, NFL analyst

Matt Hasselbeck, NFL analyst

Rob Ninkovich, NFL analyst

Steve Young, NFL analyst

Suzy Kolber, NFL host

Todd McShay, NFL Draft analyst

Kolber and McShay have been part of their coverage for a long time. I guess the draft stuff is all Mel Kiper now.
I think it's just a reality of the sports media landscape now and the type of media people are consuming. This is also why ESPN just backed up the truck for Pat McAfee.

I honestly can't even remember the last time I had the desire to watch a sports analysis show on network or cable TV. I get most of my sports content from YouTube personalities at this point.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 03:46 PM   #529
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quarterback premieres on Netflix today. Created by NFL Films and Peyton Manning's company (Omaha Productions), and featuring Mahomes, Cousins and Mariota.

This is going to be awesome. Reminds me of the high school series that they used to have on Netflix (QB1), only this is at the highest level.

tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2023, 09:24 PM   #530
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kirk Cousins and his family confirm they are creepy af.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 06:14 AM   #531
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Kirk Cousins and his family confirm they are creepy af.
He's a different cat for sure. Extremely frugal. It wasn't long ago that his wheels were an old van that he bought from his grandma at a time where he signed that big contract with the Vikings. He recently got a new van but only because the old van got totalled. I'm not sure if he still does today but for the longest time he was also living in his parents basement in the offseason because they didn't charge him rent despite making over $24 million a season. Seems a little extreme.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2023, 07:37 AM   #532
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

well, that's one way to make money after your NFL career, I guess

https://twitter.com/user/status/1680369092115697664
Old 07-16-2023, 07:56 AM   #533
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
well, that's one way to make money after your NFL career, I guess

https://twitter.com/user/status/1680369092115697664
Yeah there's a great story about him in the Athletic this week.
Old 07-16-2023, 12:10 PM   #534
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopkins to the Titans.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 02:46 PM   #535
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

no long-term deals for franchise tagged RBs Saquon Barkley, Tony Pollard and Josh Jacobs ahead of the deadline.

looks like the league has wisened up to the fact that RBs are simply not worth these big contracts.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:46 PM   #536
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

The new RB career path seems to be get drafted and play out your crappy rookie contract, play one year on the franchise tag, then go to FA and hope a bad team pays you what you’re worth. Sure there are mitigating circumstances will those three but it can’t be coincidence.

I hope the two who haven’t signed their tenders sit out until week 9 or whatever it is then return to their teams to accrue their year and hit FA.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 04:16 PM   #537
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The week 9 thing really only applies for a player about to get a second franchise tag, because then the third tag is when you pay top 5 QB money, regardless of position being tagged. So no team is gonna tag a RB three times, but twice makes a ton of sense. But if Barkley and Jacobs bail until week 9 this year and then sign they can still be franchised next year for 120% of their current salary, which still gives teams most of the leverage.
Old 07-17-2023, 04:16 PM   #538
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
The new RB career path seems to be get drafted and play out your crappy rookie contract, play one year on the franchise tag, then go to FA and hope a bad team pays you what you’re worth. Sure there are mitigating circumstances will those three but it can’t be coincidence.

I hope the two who haven’t signed their tenders sit out until week 9 or whatever it is then return to their teams to accrue their year and hit FA.
The reality is that there's not a lot of money out there for these players in free agency as Cook, Hunt, and Elliot are on the street without contracts. Jacobs will make $10.1 million next season under the franchise tag. Why would he miss games and not get paid? The best thing any of these players can do is come to camp ready for another quality season to ensure that he's viable to get tagged again at a 20% increase or released to free agency. Show up right before week one out of shape and they probably get injured or have a sub par season which will lead to them making even less money than the franchise tag 2nd year or free agency coming off a good season.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-17-2023 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2023, 04:39 PM   #539
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Why would they sit out? Because as an employee your only leverage is your labour. Withhold that as long as you can until showing up last minute to accrue your year. Less miles on the tires setting you up for FA or doing it again the next year for even more money. Since the team has shown they won’t pay what benefit is there to the player to come to work early and often, play an entire year, and get all that wear and tear? If the position doesn’t matter as much as everyone says then it won’t impact team W/L records that much anyway.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 04:57 PM   #540
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

But it makes no sense to sit out seeing as how limited RB careers are. Choosing to give up ~$5 million seems dubious, since there is virtually no path to making that back in a future contract. Better to show up at the end of camp and go operation shutdown and just not even try during the season. That way you get paid this year and save the mileage.