Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2023, 03:56 PM   #501
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
If you talk to anyone at TC or Suncor they all agree they have a bunch of chub, and probably everyone on this board knows at least 6 at each company due to how many people they have.

Suncor also a new CEO after the last had to resign after the brutal safety record. New guy always has to cut some fat after coming in.
I'm very close with with a few people quite high up at Suncor and that isn't their experience at all. One has directly stated that they are running so thin that it's become a bad place to work.

This is actually up north though. Suncor will continue to make more oil than ever with fewer employees. This isn't going to stop and corporate tax rates will have zero effect on any of it.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:08 PM   #502
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
I'm very close with with a few people quite high up at Suncor and that isn't their experience at all. One has directly stated that they are running so thin that it's become a bad place to work.
I get this vibe from a few folks I know there as well, they seem pretty miserable with how much work gets piled on as the teams get smaller and smaller over the past few years.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 08:12 PM   #503
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm in the Upstream industry. Decent high level. People for most part have had it so easy for so long at Upstream. Extra work now equals a full time job. Too many roles with part time loads (full time pay) in the past.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CFO For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 03:02 PM   #504
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
It must be incomprehensible to him that a bunch of us that work in oil & gas voted NDP.
Well then you sort of get what you deserve I guess.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 03:05 PM   #505
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

There's a new low. Local CP creamsicle says anyone in O/G who voted NDP deserve to lose their job.

May I suggest using more affirmative language if you're going to be an a-hole. Drop the "sort of" and "I guess". Own your bull####.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 04:35 PM   #506
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
You are truly Wildrose and an ahole.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:32 PM   #507
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

UCP has done what for o&g exactly?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:23 PM   #508
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post

This is actually up north though. Suncor will continue to make more oil than ever with fewer employees. This isn't going to stop and corporate tax rates will have zero effect on any of it.
My high ups are higher up than your high ups so I win.

It’s a few VPs and a couple lowers. They are 2 of the 75 vps there so probably not high ups. …. Yes that is a joke about their bloat.

Last edited by fotze2; 06-08-2023 at 08:27 PM.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:29 PM   #509
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
and dbags like you is why Trudeau will be our PM forever!
Old 06-08-2023, 08:39 PM   #510
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I get this vibe from a few folks I know there as well, they seem pretty miserable with how much work gets piled on as the teams get smaller and smaller over the past few years.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

Perhaps it's too many managing managers managing more managers who each have 1-2 reports that everything gets dumped upon. I've seen it in action at another O&G company back mid 2010's.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 11:47 PM   #511
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
No I think it’s prob smart people like you that actually vote for him that does the trick.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:04 AM   #512
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ I think that is what Makarov was implying in the first place.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:58 AM   #513
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post

Oh good lord. It’s not a god damn person in Alberta

The fact that ~1/3 of Canada’s population is east of Ontario and ~1/3 is in Ontario is the reason that Trudeau’s liberals are the federal party

With the relative size of the population out here, there is pretty much no path to adequate representation at the federal level
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 08:29 AM   #514
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rumour has it the first 500-ish layoffs at Suncor happen next week on Thursday.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:30 AM   #515
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

The fact that ~1/3 of Canada’s population is east of Ontario and ~1/3 is in Ontario is the reason that Trudeau’s liberals are the federal party

With the relative size of the population out here, there is pretty much no path to adequate representation at the federal level
Put your vote up for sale. Politicians will pay attention. Albertans love to keep playing "good ol' rock" every four years.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 11:42 AM   #516
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kinda hope I'm one of the 1,500. I think I'm ready for a different industry, and wouldn't mind having the summer off. Suncor just is not what it was when I started.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 12:13 PM   #517
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Perhaps it's too many managing managers managing more managers who each have 1-2 reports that everything gets dumped upon. I've seen it in action at another O&G company back mid 2010's.
HR departments are the cause for this with their stupid Mercer salary bracket report thingies. Only way to retain good people who deserve more dough is to promote them into ridiculous management roles that nobody asked for to match the stupid comp surveys.

Also how you get #### management, because you put good technical people into management roles and they have no idea how to manage people.

This also happens at almost all bigger companies, not just Suncor.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 01:57 PM   #518
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

You think Canadians love Mr. Dressup? All his scandals are pathetic and I would not vote for him if there is a reasonable choice. I'm sure there are a ton of Ontarians like that too.

But then you put stupid 2X4 as the leader of the Cons and it instantly becomes the Reform Party again. Him giving Danielle Smith an endorsement and supporting the UCP will make make everyone "reasonable" hold their noses and vote for Trudeau again.

Cory Morgan go back to your hole! Post something about the Flames or NHL or get the eff out of here!
Old 06-09-2023, 02:17 PM   #519
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
HR departments are the cause for this with their stupid Mercer salary bracket report thingies. Only way to retain good people who deserve more dough is to promote them into ridiculous management roles that nobody asked for to match the stupid comp surveys.

Also how you get #### management, because you put good technical people into management roles and they have no idea how to manage people.

This also happens at almost all bigger companies, not just Suncor.
I couldn't agree more. Luckily this trend is breaking in some industries. I've been a few places now where it's common for a technical staff member to make more than their manager, and I think that's a very good thing. Some places have technical career ladders that go all the way up to VP level pay, which is great.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 11:12 AM   #520
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I couldn't agree more. Luckily this trend is breaking in some industries. I've been a few places now where it's common for a technical staff member to make more than their manager, and I think that's a very good thing. Some places have technical career ladders that go all the way up to VP level pay, which is great.

At a former employer back in distant 2010's they had a defined stream for technical people and those wanting to be managers. It definitely helped keep conversations a lot more honest and also to have those conversations for correcting and helping people understand what their skillsets really were, versus what they wanted them to be.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post: