Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2023, 10:51 AM   #1601
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I like the body coloured one more actually, that's a nice looking car IMO.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:26 AM   #1602
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

If anybody is keeping track, Volvo cars is a separate company that was sold to Ford and then Ford sold it to China's Geely. Chinese EV's here we come!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:35 AM   #1603
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like a Canoo please :

Spoiler!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 11:53 AM   #1604
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you have some financing you can spot them?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/460...iling-possible
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:54 AM   #1605
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Do you have some financing you can spot them?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/460...iling-possible
Who cares? The vehicle is awesome! It's not like I'm actually able to buy one anyways lol
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 02:09 PM   #1606
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
how many screens do you guys need? look out the ####ing windshield and focus on the road
It's clearly a cost cutting move and nothing more. I would rather information be in front of me when driving than to the side. I feel if automakers opt for the middle screen only then at minimum the vehicle should have HUD.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 04:50 PM   #1607
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://electrek.co/2023/06/08/gm-an...acs-connector/

Big news! GM is following Ford and moving to the NACS (Tesla) plugs.
Betamax finally wins one!

I haven't used the NACS, but I don't have a problem with the current charging plugs.
That being said, this is likely the cost of being allowed access to the Tesla charging network, which is probably good for everyone.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:04 PM   #1608
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
https://electrek.co/2023/06/08/gm-an...acs-connector/

Big news! GM is following Ford and moving to the NACS (Tesla) plugs.
Betamax finally wins one!

I haven't used the NACS, but I don't have a problem with the current charging plugs.
That being said, this is likely the cost of being allowed access to the Tesla charging network, which is probably good for everyone.
This might be the death of widespread CCS in NA because the largest market share of EVs in NA is now on NACS. Manufacturers are going to stop manufacturing for CCS and they are going to only have NACS on their cars and just give you adapters if you need it. Some people thought Ford and GM would have both but that would never be the case because of the extra cost of manufacture. Other manufacturers will want to do the same to be competitive and this will snowball.

The CCS alliance is rightfully very pissed off.

Old 06-08-2023, 10:13 PM   #1609
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
This might be the death of widespread CCS in NA because the largest market share of EVs in NA is now on NACS. Manufacturers are going to stop manufacturing for CCS and they are going to only have NACS on their cars and just give you adapters if you need it. Some people thought Ford and GM would have both but that would never be the case because of the extra cost of manufacture. Other manufacturers will want to do the same to be competitive and this will snowball.

The CCS alliance is rightfully very pissed off.

Why would they be rightfully pissed off?

They should of seen this coming. I read somewhere that there are more Superchargers than all the others combined, and from the other CCS chargers, from what I've seen, they can't compete with the fast charging Tesla provides.

Bummer for them
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:43 PM   #1610
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripTDR View Post

They should of seen this coming. I read somewhere that there are more Superchargers than all the others combined, and from the other CCS chargers, from what I've seen, they can't compete with the fast charging Tesla provides.

Bummer for them
Because two of the biggest major players just ditched the team when they expected them to be part of the alliance in good faith. Two founding and signatory members of a consortium decided to ditch the industry standard while the rest are left holding the bag and with costly investments into CCS cars and infrastructure. CCS is still by far the world leader in charging standards and now there will not be a world standard. Not that it's necessary but it is what it is. If you didn't get it from the picture I posted, I am not a CCS fan by any stretch.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 06-08-2023 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:48 PM   #1611
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripTDR View Post

Bummer for them
Superchargers are not a majority anywhere anymore, but they're more convenient and definitely more reliable. For example, Electrify Canada/America has uptimes of less than 50% in many places. Tesla is 98%+ everywhere. Part of that is that Tesla chargers are dumb chargers, meaning they just do what the car tells it and are bespoke for Tesla vehicles. Other chargers have a lot more software to control things as every different car uses them differently and every manufacturer of the CCS chargers does something a little different. Also, most CCS chargers are being built as part of a grant, expansion goal for a utility, or start up build out. There's little incentive to ensure they work, just that they go in. Biggest metric being tracked by those companies is simply number of chargers installed and some have no technicians employed to even fix them!
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:00 PM   #1612
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Because two of the biggest major players just ditched the team when they expected them to be part of the alliance in good faith. Two founding and signatory members of a consortium decided to ditch the industry standard while the rest are left holding the bag and with costly investments into CCS cars and infrastructure. CCS is still by far the world leader in charging standards and now there will not be a world standard. Not that it's necessary but it is what it is. If you didn't get it from the picture I posted, I am not a CCS fan by any stretch.
CCS in Europe and North America are different. China uses a different one altogether (GB/T), and Japan still uses CHAdeMo. There's still no real standard and CCS was still pretty loose as far as standards go
Old 06-08-2023, 11:03 PM   #1613
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I dunno, I guess Ford and GM are wrong?

I can pretty much go anywhere I want and usually get a minimum of 250kw charging on one account. I do have a CCS adapter for an emergency but setting up multiple accounts across different chargers and only getting a max of 50kw on some stations seems stupid. Why not do it on just one app that charges for what you take in rather than fill a stupid wallet before you buy. Tesla does it elegant and easy without multiple apps linked to your credit card. Those CCS alliances should have seen how clunky and inefficient their system was a mile away.
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:08 AM   #1614
JagrBombs68
Draft Pick

I think they thought Tesla would be forced to go to a CCS standard like they were forced to in Europe.

Another thing i like about the Tesla solution is preconditioning the battery so it optimizes charging time. I hope once the other chargers are on the same standard that tesla will continue to pre-condition batteries for third party chargers and add them to their nav system
JagrBombs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:57 PM   #1615
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagrBombs68 View Post
I think they thought Tesla would be forced to go to a CCS standard like they were forced to in Europe.

Another thing i like about the Tesla solution is preconditioning the battery so it optimizes charging time. I hope once the other chargers are on the same standard that tesla will continue to pre-condition batteries for third party chargers and add them to their nav system
It's not unique to Tesla and they didn't invent it. It's a simple software fix for Tesla to add CCS chargers and precondition beforehand so I would be very shocked if it isn't already updated or updated very soon
Old 06-11-2023, 10:42 PM   #1616
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Ironically I ran out of gas in my 2018 Outback a month after I bought it brand new. It said I had 60km left on my way back from Banff, ran out of gas about 5 km's later.

They did issue a recall after I traded the car in to fix the fuel sensor or whatever. Was still great on gas but you didn't get 850km per tank like it said, more like 790km.
Do you have the 3.6? We have the slow one, and a manual. I know the stated milage is better for the CVTs, but ours has consistently been better than the sticker. The Whistler trip in question was 900+ km on one tank. The 2.5 is impressively slow though.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 11:25 PM   #1617
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of my neighbors retrofits ICE vehicles to electric...costs are still too high but its pretty interesting stuff.

Car companies want to sell you a new vehicle every few years but that just isn't sustainable. He has a early 2000s Ford ranger with a nice new paint job, fully electric.

Pretty cool IMO
Old 06-12-2023, 11:01 AM   #1618
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

That Volvo interior is hot garbage. No driver displays and what looks like a stock ipad in a bracket holder. Why can't we just get an EV with a regular car interior?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 11:13 AM   #1619
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That Volvo interior is hot garbage. No driver displays and what looks like a stock ipad in a bracket holder. Why can't we just get an EV with a regular car interior?
I get why they do it. This is cheaper to manufacture, and making a cheap EV is tough. But ya, it sucks.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 04:11 PM   #1620
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I would like a Canoo please :

Spoiler!
That last picture looks like the self driving cars in Westworld in the later seasons.