Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2023, 01:44 PM   #1381
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was certain it was because they liked In and Out Burger
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:46 PM   #1382
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
A really annoying thing about this Las Vegas story is that it's taking away from the David Grusch testimony at the worst possible time.
Can anyone “coles notes” this testimony ?
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:49 PM   #1383
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Can anyone “coles notes” this testimony ?
There's tons of great links in this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/commen...er_megathread/
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 01:57 PM   #1384
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I was certain it was because they liked In and Out Burger

1945 - First Nuclear Bomb
1948 - First In and Out

Timelines check out.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 01:58 PM   #1385
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
My first question for the aliens would be "why are you so ####ty at piloting these things?"
One of the funny things from the Nevada story was that the witness said he saw one of the aliens go into one of the excavators and was playing around with the controls, and they heard running around on the roof. Like their craft just crashed, but rather than dealing with important matters, they're acting like idiots.

Then it occurred to me, maybe they aren't sending in their A-teams. Maybe it's like us sending monkey's into space, like they have a lower evolved species that they use for their experiments. Still smarter than average humans, but not the best and brightest the galaxy has to offer.

Not that i believe the story or anything. It would actually be a pretty funny movie. A bunch of functional idiot aliens being sent on space missions for their masters. I'd watch it.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM   #1386
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
First of all, the possibility of extraterrestrial life is a very different conversation than the 'aliens are here' conspiracy, but to answer the question:

There are maybe a couple trillion galaxies, and maybe one or two hundred billion stars per galaxy. And then some number of planets per star (probably larger than currently estimated, as there is still a great deal of matter to be accounted for). So the likelihood of life is almost a certainty. Hell, I suspect the possibility of life in our solar system is pretty high, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do in fact find evidence of (microbial) life on Mars.

However, the likelihood of intelligent life is someone lesser - above zero? Seems, again, almost a certainty though, at least somewhere.

However, the step from 'intelligent life elsewhere' to 'aliens in Vegas' is beyond huge. The idea of alien life travelling to earth is challenging enough, but the idea that any evidence of it is non-existent, other than tiny scraps of it that are somehow being kept secret in what would be the greatest cover-up of all time, is... somewhat harder to swallow.
Pretty much bang on and to expand a little on the bolded we know threw various bandwidths of sight with telescopes it's impossible for matter to travel light speed, the gravity around a black holes event horizon approaches the speed of light and crushes matter down to molecules never to be seen again, simply put, no amount of science fiction can explain away the fact matter can't go lightspeed and survive.

If we ever find something from another world on earth it's likely to be a probe sent out 100's of thousands or millions of years ago, but nobody will ever convince me that a living ET ever landed on out planet.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:01 PM   #1387
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Yes, and that's part of the cause for concern. China and Russia have had their own encounters over the years, and have had programs dedicated to researching and studying the phenomenon (just like Project Blue Book back in the 60's).

The language used in the National Defense Authorization Act signed last year is intended to frame the conversation in terms of national security and investigating UAP-related activities by "adversarial foreign governments".

Also, the Five Eyes are sharing information on UAP activity. This was as recently evident as last month: CBC: Canada attends first-of-its-kind UFO briefing at the Pentagon

Other countries have also been involved on the topic lately, including Brazil holding public hearings last year and GEIPAN in France performs research on the topic and complies data for various French government organizations.

I would also suspect that we're going to learn that private contractors and research companies are probably woven into the fabric of this topic. Outside of the rumors of long-time involvement of Skunkworks, Batelle, Boeing, and Bigelow Aerospace, recent research efforts have also tried to reach out to prviate groups, such as the Galileo Project, UAPx, and even NASA in enlisting the public to help gather UAP data.

I think all of this is to say, the topic of UAPS are now in a different framework than it was six years ago, with more Congressional resources now being dedicated to building a knowledge base and mechanisms to better report on UAP sightings.

Even if you think the topic is ridiculous, it has resulted in proactive involvement from the USIC, ODNI, NASA, Congress, and the U.S. government in general, which has historically played a leadership role on this topic.
I don’t know if any of that helps answer my questions.

I don’t think the topic is ridiculous, but I’m skeptical about the conclusions. I have no doubt it’s a topic of interest for the public and governments alike and I have no doubt that there are efforts to learn more and gather evidence if available… I’m just skeptical about the existence of concrete evidence.

I’m just not sure how to wrap my head around the idea that evidence that would convince the average person (concrete physical or visual) exists, but strictly in the hands of governments across the globe while under an unprecedented cooperative international effort to hide it from public view.

Billions of people on Earth and the only people who have ever seen or possessed concrete evidence work for the government or were successfully intercepted by the government prior to going public?

I dunno. It’s hard to believe is all.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 02:02 PM   #1388
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
If we ever find something from another world on earth it's likely to be a probe sent out 100's of thousands or millions of years ago, but nobody will ever convince me that a living ET ever landed on out planet.
Yeah, I think if we ever encounter alien life, it is going to be in the form of AI, possibly from a civilization that is already extinct.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:09 PM   #1389
Knut

Exp:

Von Neumann Probes would be the only thing that makes sense to be honest based on the vastness of space.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 02:12 PM   #1390
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by GGG; 06-09-2023 at 02:15 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:13 PM   #1391
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Von Neumann Probes would be the only thing that makes sense to be honest based on the vastness of space.
Would you be open to the idea that these have been here just as long as humans, if not longer, from something we do not understand or know much about, and might be as native to this planet as we are?

If we're going to guess, cryptoterrestrials are just as likely as extraterrestrials IMO. The "breakaway civilization" theory shouldn't immediately be written off. There is so much about our planet we just don't understand, including our own history. We keep finding new information about how we evolved and the non-human species that inhabited this planet in the distant past.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 02:38 PM   #1392
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Given that ETs seem to appear, behave and interact with reality in a manner so similar to our own, I think that ETs must either be "breakaway civilizations" or some sort of puppet that acts as an intermediary between us and the actual aliens.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:48 PM   #1393
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

What if the current paradigm of physics is about to change? what if space-time is doomed? (I don't mean that in a dreadful sense. I mean that in purely a scientific sense)

All of this becomes a much different conversation if we start to fill in the puzzle pieces that have existed for the past century. We are on the verge of answering some big questions.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 03:03 PM   #1394
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

All this talk of recovered materials reminded me about the claims about Bigelow a few years ago….

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/4...3e5c9e82661161
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:08 PM   #1395
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don’t know if any of that helps answer my questions.

I don’t think the topic is ridiculous, but I’m skeptical about the conclusions. I have no doubt it’s a topic of interest for the public and governments alike and I have no doubt that there are efforts to learn more and gather evidence if available… I’m just skeptical about the existence of concrete evidence.

I’m just not sure how to wrap my head around the idea that evidence that would convince the average person (concrete physical or visual) exists, but strictly in the hands of governments across the globe while under an unprecedented cooperative international effort to hide it from public view.

Billions of people on Earth and the only people who have ever seen or possessed concrete evidence work for the government or were successfully intercepted by the government prior to going public?

I dunno. It’s hard to believe is all.

Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 05:16 PM   #1396
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

After reading Trump inditements today does anyone believe that if Trump knew there were aliens we wouldnt know about it?

This doesn’t mean that there isn’t hidden evidence just that if definitive evidence is being hidden it is being hidden from Trump as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 05:21 PM   #1397
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Would you be open to the idea that these have been here just as long as humans, if not longer, from something we do not understand or know much about, and might be as native to this planet as we are?

If we're going to guess, cryptoterrestrials are just as likely as extraterrestrials IMO. The "breakaway civilization" theory shouldn't immediately be written off. There is so much about our planet we just don't understand, including our own history. We keep finding new information about how we evolved and the non-human species that inhabited this planet in the distant past.
I go time travellers from future earth, followed by hidden civilization on earth, followed by ancient civilization that left earth and returned.

The problem with all the ET options is that it requires there to be few enough aliens that we can’t detect them, enough aliens that they randomly find us, technologically advanced enough to find us, get here, and not get caught yet dumb enough to get caught by US government. It’s such a narrow threshold made so improbably by how they find us.

Last edited by GGG; 06-09-2023 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-09-2023, 05:22 PM   #1398
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

President's are on a need-to-know basis. They don't get read into all special access programs.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 05:49 PM   #1399
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I go time travellers from future earth, followed by hidden civilization on earth, followed by ancient civilization that left earth and returned.

The problem with all the ET options is that it requires there to be few enough aliens that we can’t detect them, enough aliens that they randomly find us, technologically advanced enough to find us, get here, and not get cat Iggy yet dumb enough to get caught by US government. It’s such a narrow threshold made so improbably by how they find us.
I could buy water people. The ocean is ####ed. Time travellers? Plausible.

Ancient civilization that left and returned doesn’t make sense, though. There’d be some leftovers I think. Maybe they are just an incredibly tidy people.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 05:56 PM   #1400
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I could buy water people. The ocean is ####ed. Time travellers? Plausible.

Ancient civilization that left and returned doesn’t make sense, though. There’d be some leftovers I think. Maybe they are just an incredibly tidy people.
I agree, it just solves the how did they find us problems which I think is a bigger problem then any other problem.