Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2023, 12:04 PM   #61
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Provorov deal makes less sense with this now known though IMO.

If I had an idea I'd be able to get Severson for a 3rd I probably would have kept the 22nd OV to try to get a forward.

I feel like 22nd OV, Sillinger, and another piece could have brought in a decent Center (Lindholm?)

Lindholm, Johnson, Carlsson becomes a pretty good group of centers for now and the future.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 12:06 PM   #62
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The Provorov deal makes less sense with this now known though IMO.

If I had an idea I'd be able to get Severson for a 3rd I probably would have kept the 22nd OV to try to get a forward.

I feel like 22nd OV, Sillinger, and another piece could have brought in a decent Center.
Out of curiousity would you trade Lindholm for that return?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:07 PM   #63
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Out of curiousity would you trade Lindholm for that return?
Well I don't know what other offers are out there...but if I knew there was 0% chance Lindholm would re-sign, and I felt like it was the best offer available I'd think about it.

For example if it was:

22nd OV, Sillinger, Svozil/Marchenko/Ceulemans

I'd probably do that for sure (as long as there wasn't like a top 10 pick on the table)

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-09-2023 at 12:12 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:07 PM   #64
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

CBJ will almost certainly be a better team than last season.

Out:

Gravikov
Korpisalo

In:

Werenski
Provorov
Severson
Jiricek
Texier
Carlsson?

Likely internal improvement:

Johnson
Marchenko
Sillinger

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-09-2023 at 03:28 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 12:08 PM   #65
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
How do you propose they land a #1 center without moving a Johnson, #3 overall, or Jiricek type of asset?

Its pretty clear they are expediating the rebuild which rarely works out.
Jack Eichel moved for less.

They do also have:

Marchenko
Mateychyk
Dumais
Ceulemans

I also think they will add assets for Boqvist if they traded him as he looks good when healthy.

I wish we were as loaded as Columbus. They could add Lindholm without trading what you just listed.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:11 PM   #66
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post

They do also have:

Marchenko
Mateychyk
Dumais
Ceulemans

I also think they will add assets for Boqvist if they traded him as he looks good when healthy.

I wish we were as loaded as Columbus. They could add Lindholm without trading what you just listed.
Eichel was also a real wild card with his desired surgery and the fact he wasn't even playing (and wouldn't for the better part of another year). and supposedly it would have taken a Tkachuk (plus picks and prospects) to get him here. That to me is pretty high price.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:15 PM   #67
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

They do also have:

Marchenko
Mateychyk
Dumais
Ceulemans

How often does a player like Eichel become available?

The assets you listed do not move the needle. Every team in the league has that level of prospect to offer.

Just seems like wishful thinking to me. If Jarmo pulls that off he's one shrewd negotiator.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:20 PM   #68
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Eichel was also a real wild card with his desired surgery and the fact he wasn't even playing (and wouldn't for the better part of another year). and supposedly it would have taken a Tkachuk (plus picks and prospects) to get him here. That to me is pretty high price.
There is always guys available though and if it is a sign and trade deal quite often the return isn't a huge cost to aquire. If Lindholm wants out and Conroy gives permission to talk to other teams and Columbus offers him a good deal and he likes what they are doing who knows they maybe get him. If this did play out I bet we would do it around players like:

Mateychuk
Lotto protected #1 24
Marchenko
Boqvist
Bean
Dumais
Ceulemans

It would not HAVE to be #3, Jiricek, Johnson or Sillinger. If it does, there more than likely at some point be someone else available.

Columbus is loaded, they have more than the few star prospects we all want to add. They can add someone no problem and they could wait until the deadline or next summer to do it but IMO they are doing what they should be. Waiting 3 years to build around the young guys isn't better than building around their current core and having high end prospects on ELCs
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 12:22 PM   #69
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The assets you listed do not move the needle. Every team in the league has that level of prospect to offer.

Just seems like wishful thinking to me. If Jarmo pulls that off he's one shrewd negotiator.
Every team has that kind of list but not many have that kind of list after a much better list of prospects, and cap space and no real issue with UFA/RFA for a few years.

I get the new flavour of the week is often overrated around here but why is Jiricek someone you build around over Werenski? Gaudreau vs Johnson?
Old 06-09-2023, 12:46 PM   #70
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Every team has that kind of list but not many have that kind of list after a much better list of prospects, and cap space and no real issue with UFA/RFA for a few years.

I get the new flavour of the week is often overrated around here but why is Jiricek someone you build around over Werenski? Gaudreau vs Johnson?
I agree in general with what you are saying, I just think this move in particular was shortsighted given their depth on RD, and where their roster sits today. An 8 year/50M dollar commitment was made to a player they don't truly need nor will move the needle for them in the interim.

I think they absolutely should work on getting better but this is an awfully big risk to take all things considered.

I don't think they are done either, but that should be both a scary, and exciting proposition for Columbus fans.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:33 PM   #71
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I agree in general with what you are saying, I just think this move in particular was shortsighted given their depth on RD, and where their roster sits today. An 8 year/50M dollar commitment was made to a player they don't truly need nor will move the needle for them in the interim.

I think they absolutely should work on getting better but this is an awfully big risk to take all things considered.

I don't think they are done either, but that should be both a scary, and exciting proposition for Columbus fans.
Based on his numbers though $6.25 mil and only a 3rd out is a good deal. His numbers are great at ES.

I think the problem is most people can't watch all teams play every game. Unless you're a devils fan you probably didn't watch him play a lot.

Then the playoffs roll around and everyone is watching and a guy has a poor series or has some big turnovers and players get labelled as overrated.

IMO $6.25 is not an overpayment and he's just turning 29 and Columbus isn't going to have unlimited options and not all their prospects will turn out.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:08 PM   #72
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If Lindholm does go on the market, there will probably be only 3-4 teams in the bidding. And they will be offering the same kind of package.

* A young middle-six roster player (ie CBJ Marchenko, CAR Jarvis, DET Berggren)

* A good but not elite prospect (ie CBJ Dumais, CAR Rees, DET Wallinder)

* Mid 1st or late 1st and a 2nd.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-09-2023 at 02:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 02:11 PM   #73
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
If Lindholm does go to market, there will probably be only 3-4 teams in the bidding. And they will be offering the same kind of package.

* A young middle-six roster player (ie CBJ Marchenko, CAR Jarvis, DET Berggren)

* A good but not elite prospect (ie CBJ Dumais, CAR Rees, DET Wallinder)

* Mid 1st or late 1st and a 2nd.
You think a 2nd next year could be a conditional lottery protected first if resigned or the team makes the final 4 next year? That's the type of thing I'd be looking to get out of a deal.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:27 PM   #74
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
You think a 2nd next year could be a conditional lottery protected first if resigned or the team makes the final 4 next year? That's the type of thing I'd be looking to get out of a deal.
I’m sure Conroy would look for something like that. Those kinds of conditions are becoming common.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:38 PM   #75
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
CBJ will almost certainly be a better team that last season.

Out:

Gravikov
Korpisalo

In:

Werenski
Provorov
Severson
Jiricek
Texier
Carlsson?

Likely internal improvement:

Johnson
Marchenko
Sillinger

Without a goalie, it might all be moot.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:41 PM   #76
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Without a goalie, it might all be moot.
Elvis career numbers vs last years numbers are very different

Vegas didn’t have a goalie either
Old 06-09-2023, 03:09 PM   #77
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It would be hard for CBJ to be any worse, so sure, an improvement is a good bet.

But 20 points better? 30? Still probably not within sniffing distance of the playoffs.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 03:46 PM   #78
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Everyone loves Columbus……..ok
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 03:56 PM   #79
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Pretty sure they removed conditions on a player resigning in the CBA.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 05:21 PM   #80
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, the comment from you came when I listed 7 or 8 teams that could be better than the Flames if they got Bedard. I listed teams like Washington, Ottawa, Detroit that you were good with but I also listed Columbus. You called me out that I had them on the list.

They are a very asset rich team, no real UFA/RFA issues with $20 mil cap space to play with. Some people struggle to have vision on what other teams could do to improve and are always very optimistic on what the Flames could do.

They are looking very good and have guys like Johnson, Sillnger, Jiricek and more than likely Carlsson as very high end prospects. They also have other quality prospects and a team that really has no cap concerns for a few years

I's take Columbus situation over the Flames and it really isn't close IMO
Yeah they have lots of good prospects because they ####ing sucked for years lol
no cap concerns because they ####ing sucked for years

Their most recent season is worse than the Flames worst season in franchise history

I never said the Flames would be better than them for eternity obviously...if you want to throw down, $100 says the Flames have more points next season

and I'm pretty certain you thought they would be decent last season too if we want to be calling posters out

Last edited by dino7c; 06-09-2023 at 05:43 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote