Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2023, 10:05 PM   #301
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jake is not a good Qb and our D system sucks.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:08 PM   #302
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yikes! That was horrific.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 10:18 PM   #303
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Bad performance by the offense. Below average by the defense. A serious lack of discipline. A real lack of fire for the opening night game.

I've never been sold on Meier, I think of him as more of a game manager and not very dynamic.

I was hoping for a more dynamic QB competition in camp.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:22 PM   #304
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty awful game overall. Final score makes it look like a somewhat close game but this was pretty much utter domination by BC.

Going to be a long season for Stamps fans. Hard to see them above 4th in the west, and that's only because Edmonton still exists.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old-fart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 10:26 PM   #305
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just left the game. Haven’t been to a CFL game in 5 years. That game was pretty underwhelming. The offence was pathetic. It’s early though. Hopefully they can tighten up.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:26 PM   #306
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

That was hard to watch. All their epts were in.

Also, if you're going to interview someone, do it at half-time. TSN has this notion that what the fans want is to listen to the commissioner ramble on rather than the play-by-play. TSN is wrong. Imagine you are an American watching your first game on CBS, and you get some guy blathering about obscure rule changes and Maritime expansion; you are going to be switching that channel to something a little less dorky as fast as you can.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:28 PM   #307
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Maier didn't look good and the same goes for the offence. One can only hope it gets better.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:40 PM   #308
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
That was hard to watch. All their epts were in.

Also, if you're going to interview someone, do it at half-time. TSN has this notion that what the fans want is to listen to the commissioner ramble on rather than the play-by-play. TSN is wrong. Imagine you are an American watching your first game on CBS, and you get some guy blathering about obscure rule changes and Maritime expansion; you are going to be switching that channel to something a little less dorky as fast as you can.
This actually was worse than the game itself. Eff off TSN, why do it in our game, do it in a weekend game!
Old 06-08-2023, 10:43 PM   #309
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Ya. I dunno if that's the play calling or what. But with Dave's offense, it seems they never stretch the field. Swings, flats, shirt stuff over the middle - that's all his MO.

Hopefully Jake can get some confidence going forward.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
I think it is a combo of both. DD was getting very conservative the last few years of Bo as well, in my view, and seems to have stuck with that approach now. But watching Maier he has no touch on any middle or long range passes so even if the play calling were different I don’t think he can makes those throws.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:47 PM   #310
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who is calling plays now? Is it Delmonaco? I read that Dickenson was calling plays on the drive where we scored the TD.

Maier’s strength is accuracy in the short to intermediate passing game. A good run game helps with that. It’s still early, I agree that more playing time in the preseason probably would have been helpful.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:33 AM   #311
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Team is rebuilding - we still have top front office and coaching.

Chill out, chill out, chill out!
3rd rate play calling. Dickenson needs to give that up. Cost us multiple cups.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:03 AM   #312
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

BT Sports no longer broadcast the CFL here - but the League have a free streaming service so we can watch the games live in Ireland and the UK. However, there is on on-demand, so a 3 am game on a work night is pretty impractical.

Sounds like I didn’t miss much.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:30 AM   #313
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Who is calling plays now? Is it Delmonaco? I read that Dickenson was calling plays on the drive where we scored the TD.

Maier’s strength is accuracy in the short to intermediate passing game. A good run game helps with that. It’s still early, I agree that more playing time in the preseason probably would have been helpful.
That wasn't on display last night. The guy has the arm strength of a high school QB. He has to put so much arm into even intermediate passes that he was overthrowing receivers on most of his throws 10 yards past the line of scrimmage. I'm really disappointed that Dickenson didn't bring in a veteran QB because there was never any guarantee Maier was the guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 09:17 AM   #314
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That wasn't on display last night. The guy has the arm strength of a high school QB. He has to put so much arm into even intermediate passes that he was overthrowing receivers on most of his throws 10 yards past the line of scrimmage. I'm really disappointed that Dickenson didn't bring in a veteran QB because there was never any guarantee Maier was the guy.
And that's the problem -- when someone like Jake Maier isn't accurate and moving the chains, you're in for trouble. It's too bad because he ended the season last year in a similar fashion (also against BC).

I still have faith Maier can still be successful in this league -- they face an "easier" opponent next week at Ottawa (who I was shocked to see was winless at home last year, just like the Elks).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:56 AM   #315
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maier needs to play better, but let's be honest, the receivers need to be better as well. Too many dropped balls last night and do the Stamps have any one on the team with the same high end talent as Dominique Rhymes?
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:03 AM   #316
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

on a different note, really pulling for the Elks to continue their home loss streak. would ve nice to see
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:42 AM   #317
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Maier needs to play better, but let's be honest, the receivers need to be better as well. Too many dropped balls last night and do the Stamps have any one on the team with the same high end talent as Dominique Rhymes?
Stampeders WR's and dropped balls have been a thing for years now. That's another area this team needs to clean up.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:05 PM   #318
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was hoping with the lack of high end talent this year that there would be some recognition that they might have to change how they run the offense. Be more creative and try to keep the D off balance/guessing.

But nope. Same conservative style and running when they should be passing and passing when they should be running. For example, last night they were down by 9 late in the 3rd. They took a penalty which loved them back to 1st and 15. They REALLY needed to move the ball to stay in it. They were being outplayed but one score would have put them right back. What did they do? Run off the guard for 4 yards, it's now 2nd and 11 and that's not in Maier's wheelhouse.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:38 PM   #319
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

That's a really interesting point, because when I'm coaching QB's its a key point of discussion. I look at it as forcing the rock. Meier looked like he was forcing throws through his shoulder.

And year it big time effects accuracy.

The receivers looked out of sync with the QB all night. But yeah, I think our receiver core isn't terrific.

Our running game is good, our run blocking is good.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 01:50 PM   #320
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

What Kamar Jorden up to we should bring him back to stabilize the receivers room.

If Jake can't turn it around I wonder if he gets replaced mid season.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote