Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-08-2023, 09:44 AM   #5741
GhostCookie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I didnt realize that in the regular season he got 3 points less than Nurse and absolutely slaughtered Nurse's stats in the playoffs.

That is going to be a hilarious contract negotiation.

Bouchard is not very good....but he's better than most of what else they have...but they dont have any money.
And there is nowhere in the league that suffers more from media hype and recency bias than the Edmonton front office.

Jack Campbell had the best calendar year of all goalies in the league!

But that means 2 periods over two different seasons and everything outside that time frame was a dud. So much so that Toronto didn't even pretend like they might sign him. So the oilers have a bidding war with themselves and offer him a 5 by 5 with trade protection.

Zach Kassian's stats were clearly based on inflation from being pretty much stapled to McDoofus, but he also was "keeper of the code" with Tkachuk (not so much with guys his size mind you). Clearly the Oilers couldn't risk losing such a wealth of intangibles so they gave him a 4 year @3.2 that they had to pay Arizona to take with a few spots better in the first round and a second and third.

Which means that the BouchBomb will likely get overpaid with trade protection, helping to further solidify the cap hell they will be in when its' time to pay up to keep dry saddle in town, only to watch him play out his last year and walk, since he might very well near double his salary on the open market in 2 years.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:45 AM   #5742
GhostCookie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroneck View Post
Leafs fans should be happy with the news that the Oilers are close to the finish line, as that logic would have the buds making the finals…

Done deal, Tre is making the finals in his first year at the helm. FML.
Kings out by the oil 2 years in a row, now popping the cork on the champagne because that means WCF for them for sure now!
Old 06-08-2023, 09:57 AM   #5743
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Which recent first round pick is up next for Yamamoto’s career ruiner spot?
I think top contenders are Dylan Holloway and Phillip Broberg. They both might squeeze in.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:45 AM   #5744
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
I think top contenders are Dylan Holloway and Phillip Broberg. They both might squeeze in.
Things are getting dire when they have to put a Dman at forward.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:49 AM   #5745
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Things are getting dire when they have to put a Dman at forward.
I don't think the Oilers have ever limited career ruining to forwards. There are plenty of defensemen and goalies who have been ruined by them as well.

No one does it better. Maybe they should put up a banner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 10:58 AM   #5746
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think the Oilers have ever limited career ruining to forwards. There are plenty of defensemen and goalies who have been ruined by them as well.

Equal Opportunity No Good.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:31 AM   #5747
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The question is always whether the ruining is irredeemable. If they cut, say, Yamamoto loose does he rebound a la Schultz, Petry, Dubnyk, Glencross, Stoll etc? Or is he a Robby Schremp?
Old 06-08-2023, 01:09 PM   #5748
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The question is always whether the ruining is irredeemable. If they cut, say, Yamamoto loose does he rebound a la Schultz, Petry, Dubnyk, Glencross, Stoll etc? Or is he a Robby Schremp?
Or a Ben Scrivezina??
Old 06-08-2023, 02:01 PM   #5749
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I didn't think Puljujarvi would work out outside of Edmonton because I don't think North America or NHL hockey was a fit for him. If Yamamoto lands in the perfect spot he may have a bit of a resurgence but I would keep expectations low as if he couldn't make it work playing alongside Draisaitl, I'm not sure he's a full time NHL talent. He's also injury prone and has some recent concussion issues which isn't ideal for a smaller player. If he gets cut, he will find work on another team but I would pass on him.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:57 PM   #5750
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I didn't think Puljujarvi would work out outside of Edmonton because I don't think North America or NHL hockey was a fit for him. If Yamamoto lands in the perfect spot he may have a bit of a resurgence but I would keep expectations low as if he couldn't make it work playing alongside Draisaitl, I'm not sure he's a full time NHL talent. He's also injury prone and has some recent concussion issues which isn't ideal for a smaller player. If he gets cut, he will find work on another team but I would pass on him.
Yamamoto might be more of a Cogliano - a guy who is never a huge success but finds a game as an energy/bottom 6 guy.

That said, far more ex-Oilers are permantly ruined. Yakupov, Pitlick, Peckham, Nash, Pouliot.

Or never weres - Moroz, Plante, Omark,
Old 06-08-2023, 03:07 PM   #5751
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking about how bad that past calendar year was as a Flames fan, first losing to the Oilers in the playoffs, then seeing our 2 best forwards leave, followed by a disappointing season, and then Matthew Tkachuk fever around the league.

Then I started thinking about how in 1988, the Oilers had to trade Gretzky. The next year, they were eliminated by the Kings in the playoffs. Gretzky scored 7 points in the last 3 games of the series to come back from a 3-1 series deficit to eliminate the Oilers. The next round, the Flames swept the Kings and went on to win the Stanley Cup.

As bad of a year this has been for the Flames, 1988-1989 must have been torture for Oilers fan. I wish I had a time machine and could go back to experience that and fully appreciate it.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 06-08-2023 at 03:11 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 03:30 PM   #5752
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I was thinking about how bad that past calendar year was as a Flames fan, first losing to the Oilers in the playoffs, then seeing our 2 best forwards leave, followed by a disappointing season, and then Matthew Tkachuk fever around the league.

Then I started thinking about how in 1988, the Oilers had to trade Gretzky. The next year, they were eliminated by the Kings in the playoffs. Gretzky scored 7 points in the last 3 games of the series to come back from a 3-1 series deficit to eliminate the Oilers. The next round, the Flames swept the Kings and went on to win the Stanley Cup.

As bad of a year this has been for the Flames, 1988-1989 must have been torture for Oilers fan. I wish I had a time machine and could go back to experience that and fully appreciate it.
The reasons for that trade were a lot less valid and way more murky. Gretzky was till 4 years away from UFA. And there was a bunch of cash associated with the deal going to Pocklington.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:21 PM   #5753
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Or a Ben Scrivezina??
I forgot about him, he's the one who lost his mind when that jersey hit the ice right?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-08-2023, 05:23 PM   #5754
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I forgot about him, he's the one who lost his mind when that jersey hit the ice right?
Scrivens picked it up with his stick and tossed it back. I don't think he was too upset.

The Oilers goalie you are probably thinking of is Victor Fasth:

Old 06-08-2023, 05:56 PM   #5755
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Scribbles is the one who was playing in Russia, and let in a goal so fast after a faceoff at center ice it defied physics.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:58 PM   #5756
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was Screvens wife angry also?
Old 06-09-2023, 12:01 AM   #5757
Great Save Tanev
Draft Pick

Was very satisfying talking to a Leaf’s fan about our mutual hate of the Oilers. Though his hate paled in comparison to mine, I think he’s making great progress.
Old 06-09-2023, 03:20 AM   #5758
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Save Tanev View Post
Was very satisfying talking to a Leaf’s fan about our mutual hate of the Oilers. Though his hate paled in comparison to mine, I think he’s making great progress.
Everyone seems to. Us, obviously. Your Leaf fan friend. The Winnipeg fans who post here.

The Kings fans and Ducks fans I know around town don't mind Calgary at all but hate Edmonton. Maybe they're being polite because they know I love the Flames? But I kind of doubt it.
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2023, 02:12 AM   #5759
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol, this guy again.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1667710638783868928
Old 06-11-2023, 07:25 AM   #5760
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

Then they went and won the cup in 1990! Maybe history repeats for the Flames
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , no good no good , no good no good no good , not f***ing good enough