Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2023, 09:35 AM   #4041
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett was ranked super high...and even by his peers/coaches.

I remember he won Best Playmaker, Best Stickhandler, and Smartest player in the OHL coaches poll in his draft year.

https://ontariohockeyleague.com/2013...-poll-winners/

Which is kind of hilarious...because even as a Bennett supporter in his time in Calgary I'm not sure I'd even have him as average playmaking ability or hockey sense. Pure determination, will, and individual skill...100%. Playmaking and hockey sense...not so much.

I do feel like the Flames really messed up in developing his skillset somehow, they wanted to make him a prototypical power forward and don't think his other skills were unlocked.

Like Sam Bennett at the NHL level always was a bit out of control and a bit chaotic. He wasn't like that at the junior level, where he was more composed with his play. I watch his junior videos and I never saw the playmaking ability he shows in those videos at the NHL level at all.

Not sure if that was just not being able to translate that at the higher speed of the NHL, or if it was just what he thought he had to do to be an NHLer.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-08-2023 at 09:46 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 09:40 AM   #4042
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

I remember he won Best Playmaker, Best Stickhandler, and Smartest player in the OHL coaches poll in his draft year.

Which is kind of hilarious...because even as a Bennett supporter in his time in Calgary I'm not sure I'd even have him as average playmaking ability or hockey sense. Pure determination, will, and individual skill...100%. Playmaking and hockey sense...not so much.

I do feel like the Flames really messed up in developing his skillset somehow, they wanted to make him a prototypical power forward and don't think his other skills were unlocked.
Yeah to me Bennett is a hammer, not a scalpel. He shoves in rebounds created by his linemates.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:48 AM   #4043
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah to me Bennett is a hammer, not a scalpel. He shoves in rebounds created by his linemates.
He's more than just a rebound pusher IMO.

And I think he works well with gifted playmaking wingers like Tkachuk and Huberdeau because his speed and ability to drive the middle of the ice opens up space for them.

But he doesn't show much playmaking ability or elite hockey sense at the NHL level at all IMO.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 09:54 AM   #4044
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's more than just a rebound pusher IMO.

And I think he works well with gifted playmaking wingers like Tkachuk and Huberdeau because his speed and ability to drive the middle of the ice opens up space for them.

But he doesn't show much playmaking ability or elite hockey sense at the NHL level at all IMO.
I was exaggerating but not by much. He's never the best player on his line, when that line is successful. He'd probably have done fine with Gaudreau. But Monahan and then Lindholm were there and who's going to decide to just oust them in favour of Bennett?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:35 AM   #4045
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

Like Sam Bennett at the NHL level always was a bit out of control and a bit chaotic. He wasn't like that at the junior level, where he was more composed with his play. I watch his junior videos and I never saw the playmaking ability he shows in those videos at the NHL level at all.

Not sure if that was just not being able to translate that at the higher speed of the NHL, or if it was just what he thought he had to do to be an NHLer.

After watching those highlights, I'm still seeing the same player. Bennett would have had more space at the junior level, so he would've had an easier time stickhandling. Bennett's stickhandling abilities are pretty solid at the NHL level though, he just gets less opportunities to use them. I wouldn't say I saw any great "playmaking" in that highlight real. Mostly Bennett scoring on the rush, in close, or shooting from the point. All stuff he does now.

Bennett is ferocious at finding the puck and putting it in the net, and he has some great stickhandling abilities, but that 's just about the extent of all he's ever shown offensively.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:39 AM   #4046
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett could have benefited from a season in the AHL. The jump from juniors to the NHL is massive. Aside from the obvious differences in size and speed, your processor has to work much faster to analyze plays developing. An adjustment period in the AHL could have helped with that.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:33 PM   #4047
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Bennett could have benefited from a season in the AHL. The jump from juniors to the NHL is massive. Aside from the obvious differences in size and speed, your processor has to work much faster to analyze plays developing. An adjustment period in the AHL could have helped with that.
Perhaps, but the shoulder injury and missed critical season was a killer blow.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 01:57 PM   #4048
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Today is "18 year old" Sam Bennett's 27th B-day!

How time flies...
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Always Earned Never Given For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2023, 07:42 PM   #4049
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1681472600260706304

I wish we had a player like Sam Bennett. Lindholm - Bennett would be a pretty good 1-2 punch. Hell, throw in an affordable Sean Monahan as a 3rd line centre and we may have the bones of a contender…
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:44 PM   #4050
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Legend!
Old 07-18-2023, 07:50 PM   #4051
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Bennett scored 18 goals as a 19 year old, the AHL wasn't available to him until the age of 20 per the CHL-NHL agreement so while Sam might have benefited from the AHL, it literally wasn't an option.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:54 PM   #4052
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will always be among the biggest wtf in league history that we literally never played Tkachuk and Bennett together for even one game while they were both in calgary. Asinine.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2023, 08:28 PM   #4053
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Weren't Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer a line at the start of the 16-17 season?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2023, 09:35 PM   #4054
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Brouwer needed better linemates.
Old 07-18-2023, 10:31 PM   #4055
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

We already have a Bennett. He's 32, and his name is Kadri.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 07:41 AM   #4056
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Expansion screwed with the Flames there. He would still be here if it weren't for the expansion. Just unlucky with timing.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 08:34 AM   #4057
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Not even. Like preseason only.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:34 AM   #4058
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Expansion screwed with the Flames there. He would still be here if it weren't for the expansion. Just unlucky with timing.
We screwed around and he asked to be traded. Not sure how expansion fit into things.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2023, 09:41 AM   #4059
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Not even. Like preseason only.
Yep it was a preseason line. Brouwer for some ungodly reason was promoted to play with Monahan and Gaudreau, while Tkachuk got slotted to Backlund and Frolik while Bennett then began his long journey of getting tossed around the bottom of the roster only to land back with the line-sewering Troy Brouwer shortly thereafter.

Hartley was a terrible coach.
Gulutzan was incompetent.
Peters was a disaster.
Ward was incompetent.
Darryl came in to murder the entire era.

I remember once upon a time we used to debate about what impact head coaches actually had on players/teams.

We have the answer now. It is significant. All of the good work that was done by the Flames over the last decade was knee-capped by coaching hires.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 09:46 AM   #4060
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
We screwed around and he asked to be traded. Not sure how expansion fit into things.
He moved back from the trade request once he started to get more playing time with Sutter.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...s-role-sutter/
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote