Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2023, 08:31 PM   #121
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what would he say if Flames protected Gio and lost Bennett. Betcha he'll come back and say Flames protected a thirty something over the hill dman and lost the player Flames drafted 4 OA, highest ever in franchise history.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:47 AM   #122
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Well, if you want to play that game.

It was Gio or Kylington/Bennett so take your pick. That’s expansion.

We signed Tanev with the cap space from not signing Brodie.

Gaudreau was never getting traded when they were one of the best teams in the league going into playoffs. No teams operate like this. Sucks to lose him, but from all accounts the team thought they had a deal.

Burke came out and said the offers weren’t there for Cammalleri. He was trying to rebuild the Flames image after Feaster ran us into the ground. I don’t blame him for not selling for pennies on the dollar.

Kipper? God forbid management does right by one of the most important players in franchise history. He didn’t want to go finish his career in Toronto, so be it. We survived without getting their second round pick.
You can cheer for the Flames in your own way, and I guess we'll have to disagree as I cheer for them in a different way.

I look at each one of your scenarios and think about how if the team had thought 6-12months ahead none of them would have happened. For the record last year we should've dealt Mangiapane after he had Cy Young figures and he was 26yrs old.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:53 AM   #123
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
I wonder what would he say if Flames protected Gio and lost Bennett. Betcha he'll come back and say Flames protected a thirty something over the hill dman and lost the player Flames drafted 4 OA, highest ever in franchise history.
You know that we cheer for a team that makes the playoffs half the time and wins a round every 5yrs right?

What are we clinging too? I get the mentality that we're eating poop sandwiches every year, but they're OUR poop sandwiches, but let's have some real self reflection so the next 30yrs is better than the last.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:14 AM   #124
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
You can cheer for the Flames in your own way, and I guess we'll have to disagree as I cheer for them in a different way.

I look at each one of your scenarios and think about how if the team had thought 6-12months ahead none of them would have happened. For the record last year we should've dealt Mangiapane after he had Cy Young figures and he was 26yrs old.

So for you it’s just all about asset management? Okay, I get that but when you are trying to compete you don’t just ship off guys because you think they are at peak value.

“We just spent 6 years developing Mangiapane in our system and now he’s good! Time to move on!”
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 08:54 PM   #125
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
So for you it’s just all about asset management? Okay, I get that but when you are trying to compete you don’t just ship off guys because you think they are at peak value.

“We just spent 6 years developing Mangiapane in our system and now he’s good! Time to move on!”
Fair comment.

For me the number one priority is to set ourselves up to win it all. Second priority would be a strong playoff contender, so consistently make the playoffs for 5+yrs. Now I am aware that the Flames had their 2nd best statistical season ever last year. Causally Gaudreau should've never been in a position to help us have that season, as we should have traded him at the draft or prior to the season, or by Christmas if we wanted a "bounce back".

Mangiapane is a different beast, as CY Young guys have great years when everything clicks and you can sell high. Now he's overpaid and we're going to be talking about mean reversion on his shooting % next season. He's 27yrs old. When we have a new core the guy is 30yrs+.

My question to you and other fans that give the Flames a pass on all of those previous transactions...What is an example of a player you would be willing to sell high on?

Mine right now are Toffoli, Lindholm, Tanev, Hanifin and Backlund. Our core isn't 23yrs old turning 27yrs old, our core is now the wrong side of 30yrs old.

If you're the type of fan that only wants to trade the underperformers, well I have a place for you in this debate right next to the conspiracy theorists that think the NHL refs are terrible or that Bettman is out to get us.