Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2023, 04:38 PM   #61
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Oilers likely would have to include Holloway in any Hart move, and then would have to try and get rid of Soupy which won’t be easy to do. You’re right though, they’ve invested heavily in this core with not much coming up behind them… if they didn’t have the 2 best players right now they’d be in a world of hurt (still are)

Very hard for them to get better without losing one of their top guys.
Could Kane be expendable/garner interest? Hyman maybe?

I think Kane can be expendable if need be but I highly doubt he'll garner any interest. Oilers was the only team interested in him the first time around and Oilers was the only team willing to extend him when he was free both times why would any team willing to give up anything for him now? Even a 7th round is not worth it, not even a bag of puck.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:43 PM   #62
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
I think Kane can be expendable if need be but I highly doubt he'll garner any interest. Oilers was the only team interested in him the first time around and Oilers was the only team willing to extend him when he was free both times why would any team willing to give up anything for him now? Even a 7th round is not worth it, not even a bag of puck.
I agree with you his value is low and he might not get you anything. For me, I'm still dumping hm for next to no return. They need the cap to balance the team out.

Biggest problem is an AHL roster and prospect pool that can't fill the void. Holloway is the only bet IMO and he might be a downgrade on Kane this early on in his development. But the cap is the asset they need more than worrying what the return is.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 04:50 PM   #63
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
IMO they need to move 1 of the following:

Kane
Nuge
Hyman

IMO Hyman is the best of the 3 and they should keep him.

Nuge and Hyman have full NMC and I can see them wanting to stay

For me, they should just dump Kane. They need that cash on the blueline. Problem is they probably go over the cap and Kane contract isn't a big enough cap relief.

Kane and Yamamoto out could help, but then you are messing with a team that has very bad forward depth.

If Holloway goes for Hart, Bourgault might be a player but 30+ points in 60+ games in the AHL doesn't look like someone who is ready to make the leap this season. They need to just go with Skinner and Campbell and try to improve the D.
FWIW (I don't really get why), but NHL radio today mentioned Yamamoto most likely being bought out.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 04:52 PM   #64
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
IMO they need to move 1 of the following:

Kane
Nuge
Hyman

IMO Hyman is the best of the 3 and they should keep him.

Nuge and Hyman have full NMC and I can see them wanting to stay

For me, they should just dump Kane. They need that cash on the blueline. Problem is they probably go over the cap and Kane contract isn't a big enough cap relief.

Kane and Yamamoto out could help, but then you are messing with a team that has very bad forward depth.

If Holloway goes for Hart, Bourgault might be a player but 30+ points in 60+ games in the AHL doesn't look like someone who is ready to make the leap this season. They need to just go with Skinner and Campbell and try to improve the D.
As much as I hate Kane he gives them good value for his contract.

They will dump Ceci and Yamamoto before anyone else.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 04:59 PM   #65
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with you his value is low and he might not get you anything. For me, I'm still dumping hm for next to no return. They need the cap to balance the team out.

Biggest problem is an AHL roster and prospect pool that can't fill the void. Holloway is the only bet IMO and he might be a downgrade on Kane this early on in his development. But the cap is the asset they need more than worrying what the return is.

I agree with you that they should dump him for cap space even next to no return. However, you still need a team to take on his contract and have him on their roster.
Old 06-06-2023, 05:11 PM   #66
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Hart for Markstrom - E4
Haha I remember when Eklund was a thing in the world of hockey rumors. Good times.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 05:27 PM   #67
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
FWIW (I don't really get why), but NHL radio today mentioned Yamamoto most likely being bought out.
Every move the Oilers make is all about what's best for this year. I get why they do that as the clock is ticking but they are running out of assets and even if they get close to a cup why would Leon and McDavid commit 8 more years to a team that will be very old and have nothing to fix it?

They are better off to trade Yamamoto and retain some salary to move him. I don't see why any team would not take a chance on him for 1 year for cheap if some salary is retained.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 05:54 PM   #68
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Holloway isn’t a good enough prospect to get Hart on his own. He would have to be included with a cap dump and 2024 1st I’m guessing
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:02 PM   #69
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
Holloway isn’t a good enough prospect to get Hart on his own. He would have to be included with a cap dump and 2024 1st I’m guessing
Oh I agree, it would be Holloway ++ for Edmonton to be able to bid.
I think Ottawa and Buffalo would have better offers and even Toronto (who seemingly always need a goalie) could potentially use Nylander as a key piece
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:30 PM   #70
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope the oilers are in on him and continue the narrative that they are a goalie away from a championship instead of addressing their pathetic 5v5 play.

I hope they retain salary on whoever they send to Philly and get worse defensively in the process.

Last edited by Red_Baron; 06-07-2023 at 07:45 AM.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red_Baron For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 10:18 PM   #71
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Do it. A Wolf/Hart Combo playing for Love! Whynot?

Then we'd just need a winger named 'Who,' a Centre named 'What' and we'd be all set!

Hrudey and Ball would have a field day!
Hrudey can go with the players leaving too
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 09:32 AM   #72
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good article by Mike McKenna, former NHL goalie who actually played with Hart in Philly:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/is...th-trading-for

Quote:
Things started to get back on track for Hart during the 2021-22 season. His performance was up and down, no doubt, but Hart finished 29th in moneypuck.com’s goals saved above expected rankings among goalies that played 30 or more games.

And that’s when I started to see a turn. Hart looked like he was having more fun. Maybe even a little carefree. And when the Flyers brought in head coach John Tortorella for the 2022-23 season, I expected Hart to get right back into the upper echelon of NHL netminders.

First the first half of the season, he was. And then the wheels fell off in Philadelphia once again, with Hart often being the only player performing at a high level.

Eventually the Flyers’ poor play in front of him caught up, and Hart’s season-ending numbers once again looked pedestrian. He finished last season with a .907 save percentage and allowed just under three goals per game.

But it’s the advanced metrics that make me bullish on Hart. He finished the year 15th in goals saved above expected. And Hart appeared in 54 games – a new high for the 6-foot-2 netminder. To me, it was the first season in which Hart could be counted on over the entirety of an NHL season to be the Flyers’ backbone.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote