Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-20-2022, 11:09 AM   #81
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
Interesting - so I use an AppleTV for all my streaming, which includes PLEX connecting to a buddies media server.

If I buy a NAS with PLEX server configured, using my AppleTV on the local network, streaming 4K wouldn't be an issue? (I do have a 4K TV w/ HDR10 support). That's the main thing I'm worried about.

Don't care about lower resolution when offering access to parents or streaming to mobile.
It will mostly come down to what type of audio the movie has and what the Apple TV supports. For example I have two TVs in the house, one is a Sony with built-in Android TV and the other is an LG with an Nvidia Shield attached. A Blu-Ray Remux movie (uncompressed Blu-Ray rip) will default to the TrueHD audio codec, which only the Shield supports. So playing that movie on the Shield will be direct-play, but on the Sony it will transcode. However most remux releases come with a bunch of different audio tracks, and you can tell Plex which one to use before you start the movie. So if on the Sony TV I set the audio to DTS or AC3, then it doesn't transcode

I've never used the Apple TV, but I'm guessing it would probably handle everything except TrueHD, and in those cases you should be able to select a different audio track anyways
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2022, 02:23 PM   #82
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I'm trying out Jellyfin and I like what I see so far. It does a better job of managing media and being free and open-source is always a plus.

Any tips for using it? It does seem to be a pain to quickly switch from remote to local servers. Plex handles that seamlessly.

I'm going to keep my Plex server running for music because I've got so much music and don't want to start from scratch with playlists and such.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 07:33 PM   #83
iggyntangs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

With the Netflix news I think I'm officially tapping out of streaming services.

Anyone using plexshares? Would love to hear what others are using/recommendations for media servers.

Basically looking to replace all the existing services content as best as possible (Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, Paramount+, Peacock TV). 4K content and Atmos is important for me as well, I have solid dl/up capabilities so transcoding isn't really a requirement for me. Would love to hear about options, $, concurrent usage and etc.

I had someone offer access to Zyf, BMW, Meta and Ultimate. But I can't really find any info online to understand what the content looks like. Not sure if others have direct experience with any of those?

Thanks.

Last edited by iggyntangs; 02-14-2023 at 07:37 PM.
iggyntangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 10:10 PM   #84
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyntangs View Post
With the Netflix news I think I'm officially tapping out of streaming services.

Anyone using plexshares? Would love to hear what others are using/recommendations for media servers.

Basically looking to replace all the existing services content as best as possible (Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, Paramount+, Peacock TV). 4K content and Atmos is important for me as well, I have solid dl/up capabilities so transcoding isn't really a requirement for me. Would love to hear about options, $, concurrent usage and etc.

I had someone offer access to Zyf, BMW, Meta and Ultimate. But I can't really find any info online to understand what the content looks like. Not sure if others have direct experience with any of those?

Thanks.
When I tried a Plexshare the 4K performance was awful. 1080p generally worked well for the more mainstream shows, but a lot of the older or more obscure stuff would stutter heavily or not load at all. I gave up and upgraded my own server so I could do 4K myself
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 09:33 AM   #85
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

4K performance on my Plexshare has been great, BUT only when I use the Nvidia Shield TV Pro that's hardwired to my network. I have not seen as good of a result for high resolution streams on older devices such as the built-in smart TV apps, or where the device is wireless only (even with my home wireless network being as good as it is).

Netflix and other providers have a big leg-up simply due to having so many CDNs, whereas a Plexshare is not going to offer that luxury. YMMV.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 10:34 AM   #86
iggyntangs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks.

Any recommendations or reviews of food plexshares you may have used?
Old 02-15-2023, 10:48 AM   #87
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks.

Any recommendations or reviews of food plexshares you may have used?
That's pretty specific, I'm sure most of them will have food / cooking shows if that's your thing.

Plex N Chill came highly recommended although they have had a couple account takedowns happen recently (nothing happens to your account though, which is key).
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 01:32 PM   #88
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Plex N Chill came highly recommended although they have had a couple account takedowns happen recently (nothing happens to your account though, which is key).
That brings up another important point. Never sign up for those 1-year discounted Plex share or IPTV packages, they can disappear at any time
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2023, 02:12 PM   #89
iggyntangs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
That's pretty specific, I'm sure most of them will have food / cooking shows if that's your thing.

Hah my bad. I meant to say good.

And to be honest I want something that can replace all of the main streaming services and will add new content fairly swiftly from this mainstream services (i.e. Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+)
Old 02-15-2023, 03:10 PM   #90
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Hah my bad. I meant to say good.

And to be honest I want something that can replace all of the main streaming services and will add new content fairly swiftly from this mainstream services (i.e. Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+)
So. You're talking a service that has a patch over one eye and says arrr a lot?
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 05:38 PM   #91
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That brings up another important point. Never sign up for those 1-year discounted Plex share or IPTV packages, they can disappear at any time
PnC has been really quick for getting the accounts back up and running quickly, so I'm not that worried about it.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:34 AM   #92
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've never heard of PnC I'm curious, anyone have an invite/referral? Seems they are no longer taking registrations
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote