Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2022, 04:39 PM   #41
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
People will tell your wife that she needs some contraption that warms for the butt wipes, and a pad in the crib to measure the babies breathing patterns, and some special "natural" food diet, and super expensive bottles that have more precise flow rates.... and all of it will cost an arm and a leg, and every one of them is lying to you or virtue signaling.

But you definitely want a swing or some form of device that will rock the baby when you set them down. That crucial.
We bought a fancy motorized rocker....we probably got about 10 total rocks of about 15-30 minutes each in it...not worth it. Babies outgrow stuff insanely fast. Buy as much used stuff as you can. You won't use most of it very long.

With the exception of a car seat and a stroller, I wouldn't buy anything new. Buy a good stroller though. Spend money on the superior breast pump too.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 08-15-2022, 05:36 PM   #42
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Squeeze a wipe in your hand for 3 seconds and it'll be warmed up to body temperature...no need for a $50 contraption.

Those head sculpting things are legit medical devices though.
Those warmers are more like $25 than $50.

I get that the helmet thing is a medical instrument for flat heads. But what's weird is seemingly lots of kids getting them without flat head and instead to prevent flat head. That's the weird part. It makes sense it can prevent flat head, but it's over a thousand dollars for the helmet...
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:02 PM   #43
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Oh man. There's a trillion things to be said, but congrats and everything will be all right is probably the main theme of everything.

There's thousands of tricks. Most of us are probably just sharing the ones we liked the most or wished we knew earlier.

On the day of the birth, take notes, pictures and videos (ie: notepad app on your phone). It'll be a whirlwind, both of you will likely be sleep deprived. Everyone wants to know the details to the minute and you'll forget. If you're often at the storage limits of yours or your partner's phone, upgrade one before birth for better photos and videos. My spouse took more photos and videos in about one year than she had done so in the past 10 years. Every single thing and stage and angle she took a picture of. Upgrade that phone or pre-compress media and upgrade that cloud storage so that you have enough space on the phone.

No one wants to talk about some parts of the story, but as the non-birthing spouse, you honestly will likely get forgotten as the focus will rightfully be on baby and mom. It's not personal. That will pass. Focus more on what your spouse and kids think that what others think.

Assuming nothing. Open communication with spouse. Miscommunication in minor details can have big domino effects. As new parents, many things become less gross quickly. Poop/vomit other gross convos over meals are more funny rather than topics that takes away appetite now.

Not everything is sunshine and rainbows. Rain is normal. Anyone saying otherwise is full of crap. Figure out coping strategies and mental health strategies early and implement them.

Keep an eye out for baby blues/post partum depression in your partner and yourself. Journal frequently. Both your memories are going to be quite bad for the first bit with sleep deprivation. Many do not realize the challenges of breast feeding. For your two little ones, try teaching them to be independent ASAP and figure out how to include them in assisting in the challenging process. My spouse and I tried to shield our first from the chaos and we had him sleep over with grandparents at night for a month so that he'd get enough sleep. That was a major mistake on our part. The first month of error probably took 3-4 months to undo. Once he started to understand that he wasn't being replaced etc. things got way, way better.

Certain things on paper seem like a good idea, until you implement them. Then they're really dumb ideas. When #### hits the fan, laugh it off and revise your approach as needed. Don't over think the little things. The nature of babies is chaos. It is your role as parent to control chaos in a manageable manner. We can do our best and chaos will succeed, but chaos doesn't adapt like we can. Life can be absolute ####. You're sleep deprived, you're covered in spit up, you're hangry... and then the little one smiles in their sleep... and suddenly it might feel like all of that melts away and it's all good. Hang in there! Every stage will seem like the best and the worst stage during and via hindsight.

Rely on your gut. There's a dozen+ different variations on how to do things. When truly in doubt, call the early start help line or 811. However, babies are not as fragile as many think they are. They're much more capable of surviving that you think. In hindsight, my spouse and I laugh at how freaked out at everything we were for our first. Sanitizing, calling the poor people at the early start helpline demanding to know if things were normal, but no, they didn't understand... our kid was probably sick... etc. and then we went all "meh" for our second and the second has be surviving fine (if not better than the first). Do what feels right for you and your spouse. Remember that she holds the veto though. Babies can understand body language though. So if you're anxious and stressed, baby might be too. If you're more relaxed and happy, baby may absorb a lot of that too.

I believe we modern parents are the first ones to have decision paralysis. Dozens of way to do the same things and there's too much info out there, everyone has an opinion even if they don't necessarily deserve one. Don't get me started on the overwhelming different variations of the same technology or daily use items. The only universal rule is being consistent.

Some people deserve to be told STFU, but be tactful about it if required. I am not kind to some strangers should be told to STFU though.

Have open conversations with anyone trying to help. But if everyone is all over the place or people are overstepping boundaries, it makes the whole process chaotic and overwhelming. Most new grandparents don't recall a damn thing from raising you or your spouse. The vast majority likely will be happy to do exactly what you say. Lots of new parents worry about having to ask the grandparents to do things differently and delay for weeks to have the conversation. Almost all I spoke with said the conversation was pretty easy and some were actually excited to learn the new ways... So they were annoyed they didn't have the chat earlier.

The grandparents that make a fuss honestly are the ones that truly need to be sat down and told it's not about them. TBH, it might even be easier to divide and conquer. Grandparents help with cleaning and food, parents focus on navigating baby. For me, I had to tell one grandparent that it was not OK to be rushing into my room at 2-5 in the morning as soon as they heard a squawk and be exhausted and frazzled for the rest of the day (and technically be another person we had to take care of). We had to say that between midnight and 7 AM, stay out of the master bed room. We would do nights the way we wanted to do nights.

Consider a minivan. Seats 7-8 vs your family of 5; lower profile than SUV means lifting carriers/strollers/diaper bags etc. a lower height and trunk in floor vs at waist height means less stuff falls all over the place when door is opened; sliding door is a game changer for pulling out a carrier/bag+ without having to hold the door or making sure the kids don't slam doors into other cars; no need to play Tetris or Blockus to put things into trunk; more HP and space to haul everything you need and keep back up items than most vehicles on the market.

Congrats again!
Very good advice. There are negatives about reading too many books and articles on how to raise a baby. Your baby is unique. You will figure it out, maybe not right away, but you will persevere and it will work out.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 06:13 PM   #44
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

We called 811 quite a few times in the first few months, I'm sure those people can hear a new parent in the first 0.5 seconds of a call.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:27 PM   #45
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
We called 811 quite a few times in the first few months, I'm sure those people can hear a new parent in the first 0.5 seconds of a call.
I tried to talk my partner away from making our call to them...the counter-argument that if something happens to the baby it's my fault was difficult to argue with.

Our baby had a bit of snot in their nose.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:33 PM   #46
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Also don't buy a device or app that interprets your baby's cries and tells you what they want lol.

Well yeah, if you buy a cheap knock off it won't do the trick.

Gotta buy brand name with this stuff:

Seriously, raising a baby is like live TV. Whatever you're doing it right (unless it's blindingly obvious that it's not). Every one is different, every baby is different, so long as their fed, clean, needs are met, and are loved, you're doing things right.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 08:26 PM   #47
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We called 811 one night when we were pretty worried about something.
There was a 30 min wait so we just drove to BC Children's ER (which we live close to).

I was really second guessing if we should do that, were we overreacting, wasting their time etc. but I'm so glad we went.

They got us in right away and told us they're glad we came.
With new babies they don't want to take chances and totally advised us to come back again if ever in doubt.
Thankfully everything was fine with our son and I'm glad we just went to make sure.

As much as you don't want to overreact, you sure as he'll don't want to underreact, so my advice is just call or go if you're in doubt.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 08:38 PM   #48
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
We bought a fancy motorized rocker....we probably got about 10 total rocks of about 15-30 minutes each in it...not worth it. Babies outgrow stuff insanely fast. Buy as much used stuff as you can. You won't use most of it very long.

With the exception of a car seat and a stroller, I wouldn't buy anything new. Buy a good stroller though. Spend money on the superior breast pump too.
We were handed down one of these and it's the best thing ever.
Has like 10 different songs, 4 different rocker modes, even auto detects the baby crying and changes settings.

Our son loves it and it has been a lifesaver for us to put him down and get things done with 2 arms free.
He can be in it for hours if we'd let him.

But his cousin who we got it from didn't take to it at all.
I don't even know how much it must have cost but was pretty useless for them.
So part of the money waste in all this is not every baby will like the same stuff and than they outgrow as you mentioned.
But for us lucky 2nd handers, it's probably my favorite baby item we have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 10:10 PM   #49
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
As much as you don't want to overreact, you sure as he'll don't want to underreact, so my advice is just call or go if you're in doubt.
For sure, lack of experience usually means to err on the side of caution.

I remember once where he picked up some bug (rotavirus?) and it was coming out both ends, couldn't even keep down water.. that whole week was a blur I think we ended up in emergency 3 different times, last time at the Children's and they finally got things under control.. they said he was totally dehydrated and basically starving (which made sense he couldn't keep anything down). They said it was good that we were "better safe than sorry".
Old 08-15-2022, 10:20 PM   #50
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another one - Check out the revolve 360 carseat. Rotating carseat is a gamechanger and I couldn't imagine buying anything else. It's not a big deal putting a newborn in a carseat but once they're over 20lbs it becomes a pain.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:10 PM   #51
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
there is a reason why we moved to a house 2 mins away from the Children's.

A few times our kids had super high fevers for days and Tylenol just didn't cut it. Also almost everytime they both got this awful croup cough where they cough like an 80 year old chain smoker or a dog choking on a milkbone.

Check the AHS app for a 15 minute or under wait time. Walk over to the Childrens' they give them some miracle drug where they just sweat it all out in 20 mins. Give them a popsicle and they are back to normal within an hour.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:44 PM   #52
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

The best advice I was ever given is at 3-4 months, begin sleep training. I’m a big believer in the “cry it out” method, even though some would have you believe it is evil.

Both my kids now sleep through the night following a rough maybe 2-3 nights and suddenly you get your evenings back.

Shake my head when I see parent that never do this and have kids that won’t sleep anywhere but with them
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 06:36 AM   #53
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow, there's so much good advice in this thread! Thanks for contributing, everyone.

My partner definitely seems to have a handle on how she'd like to approach things with this baby, but she's also realistic enough to know that plans can and should change if things aren't working. I think the trickiest thing for me will be to gently persuade her to let me in on some of this stuff. Not to get too far in the weeds, but there were a lot of things with her two other kids that she had to do by herself out of necessity; that's not the case anymore, so I'm hoping we can figure that out in a healthy way.

My partner is also a small business owner, so instead of her getting the maternity & parental benefit, I'm going to be taking the full 37 weeks of parental leave. Plus I have 4 weeks vacation, so I'll have almost an entire year at home. I'm expecting that I'll be helping out with the two older ones (getting them to the babysitter and school etc), especially once mom starts booking work again.

As far as sleep training and location of the bassinet/crib, the plan for the immediate future is to have the baby in the bassinet in our room, and eventually convert our laundry room (which was originally a bedroom that I converted to a laundry room about a year before we met) back into a bedroom for baby this spring.

Thanks again to everyone that has replied to this thread, I know that I'll be coming back here once things kick off to pick people's brains and I hope that it can be a resource for others going through the same or similar thing.
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flamesguy_SJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 07:25 AM   #54
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tons of good tidbits of information in here already so I wont go too crazy.

But I will emphasize what I think the BIGGEST and BEST advice I received but also experienced going through it twice with 2 Covid babies

"Everyone has a better way of doing it" - After spending over 8 weeks in the NICU with my first I think the most frustrating aspect of it was the fact that just about every nurse had their own preference in the "best" way to:

swaddle
change diaper
which formula is better
which diapers are better
how to soothe the baby
how to hold the baby
how to breast feed the baby (3 different consultants helped my wife, all said something different and discredited the previous one)

This led to some serious post partum depression for my wife because she felt she could never do it "the right way" or the way she was being told.

With our 2nd child we just did it her/our way and it was far more relaxed and controlled.

So if I had to reiterate and give 1 big point of advice it would be:

"You'll figure it out whichever way works best for you, and enjoy every minute"

My boys are now 3.5 and 1.5 and its gone by so fast it scares me.
Just support your wife and be there when you can, take care of her while she takes care of the feeding the little one for the first few days.

You'll nail it
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 10:28 AM   #55
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any tips for first flight with your baby?

We just booked Hawaii for end of November, our little guy turns 6 months the day we get there, this will be his first flight.

Should add, we booked him a seat instead of saving the money since the flight is pretty long.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:19 AM   #56
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
We were handed down one of these and it's the best thing ever.
Has like 10 different songs, 4 different rocker modes, even auto detects the baby crying and changes settings.

Our son loves it and it has been a lifesaver for us to put him down and get things done with 2 arms free.
He can be in it for hours if we'd let him.

But his cousin who we got it from didn't take to it at all.
I don't even know how much it must have cost but was pretty useless for them.
So part of the money waste in all this is not every baby will like the same stuff and than they outgrow as you mentioned.
But for us lucky 2nd handers, it's probably my favorite baby item we have.
Our baby is a total Diva, so she is very particular about things and won't tolerate us trying to pass her off to an easier solution. She's also hyper social and requires near constant attention.

Whenever we have people over, she's always very social and lets everyone hold her. So everyone always tells us what a "chill" baby we have...if only that were the case.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:19 PM   #57
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesguy_SJ View Post
Wow, there's so much good advice in this thread! Thanks for contributing, everyone.

My partner definitely seems to have a handle on how she'd like to approach things with this baby, but she's also realistic enough to know that plans can and should change if things aren't working. I think the trickiest thing for me will be to gently persuade her to let me in on some of this stuff. Not to get too far in the weeds, but there were a lot of things with her two other kids that she had to do by herself out of necessity; that's not the case anymore, so I'm hoping we can figure that out in a healthy way.

My partner is also a small business owner, so instead of her getting the maternity & parental benefit, I'm going to be taking the full 37 weeks of parental leave. Plus I have 4 weeks vacation, so I'll have almost an entire year at home. I'm expecting that I'll be helping out with the two older ones (getting them to the babysitter and school etc), especially once mom starts booking work again.

As far as sleep training and location of the bassinet/crib, the plan for the immediate future is to have the baby in the bassinet in our room, and eventually convert our laundry room (which was originally a bedroom that I converted to a laundry room about a year before we met) back into a bedroom for baby this spring.

Thanks again to everyone that has replied to this thread, I know that I'll be coming back here once things kick off to pick people's brains and I hope that it can be a resource for others going through the same or similar thing.
I often summarize the transition to kids as “The workout that never ends and the jetlag that doesn’t go away”. Life with kids (especially new born) is life on hard/expert mode. Many tell me I’m not making it seem exciting to have kids. Well, it is super rough and difficult, but like a long hike or hitting all your workout targets, it’s absolutely rewarding and worth it and worth celebrating at every milestone.

Sorry for the novel, I am a crazy person.

If you really, really want to get an idea how to approach the early sleep deprivation, weed hangover yourself for a week and go through the day to day grind. That's a glimpse into it.

There's always tricks and methods to do it better. But embrace what you're doing and only go with what you feel comfortable with. I solved hundred of seemingly small silly things for "no reason" or duplicated many things to reduce having to do extra traveling to grab it because I wanted to.

With baby, you end up doing things 10-50 times a day. If you save half a minute to a minute each repetition, you can save enough and energy to avoid injury and/or accumulate enough for an extra 30 minutes to a few hours of extra sleep per week which can make a huge difference.

I have a few things I tried. $250-1,000 total to implement some of these improvements over the year I think were extra, but were super worth it to me and my wife. I even changed layouts of furniture to facilitate the day to day stuff.

Feel free to ask me questions about minor things to see if I ever tried to resolve them. I’ve shared all of these tricks and more with many friends. I’m more than happy to share more if you’re willing to listen to a crazy person.

Random stuff I seriously recommend:
Spoiler!

Simple ish practical tech upgrades/worth looking into (multi use daily):

Spoiler!

Advanced (totally unnecessary... but it was really nice to have):

Spoiler!

Technology I personally did not like :

Spoiler!
Old 08-16-2022, 12:36 PM   #58
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

"The days are long... but the years are short." Pretty much sums it up.
rohara66 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 01:42 PM   #59
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any tips for first flight with your baby?

We just booked Hawaii for end of November, our little guy turns 6 months the day we get there, this will be his first flight.

Should add, we booked him a seat instead of saving the money since the flight is pretty long.
What/who will you bring with you? Just you, spouse and baby? Or will someone be coming with you to help?

I'm a bit cray. I don't like travel surprises and I like being able to do things fast to reduce worst case scenarios.

Before going:
Spoiler!

At airport
Spoiler!

At destination
Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 02:13 PM   #60
photon

Exp:

We got a diaper genie given to us but it worked great for us!

Agree on the glider, was great!