Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #1
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Math Puzzles

Based on the prisoner riddle video posted in the funny videos thread, I thought it might be fun to have a math puzzle thread.

I enjoy a good math puzzle, but what makes a puzzle really special is if it sounds near impossible to solve, but has a really elegant solution that doesn't require knowledge of high power mathematics.

I'll share the few that I know - maybe one a week. But I hope there will be other contributions. If the puzzle follows the above guidelines, it is good incentive not to look up the solution online, but to spend some time trying to figure it out yourself.

Here's the first one.

The cigar game.

This game involves two players each with an unlimited number of cigars. The cigars are perfectly cylindrical, 1" diameter and 6" in length. They are perfectly balanced.

There is a circular table, 24" in diameter.

Each player takes turns placing a single cigar on the table. They can place the cigar on the table in any orientation, as long as it is not touching any other cigar on the table.

The last player who can successfully place a cigar on the table wins.

Prove that if you play first, you can guarantee a win.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 02:39 PM   #2
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put one exactly in the middle, then mirror exactly whatever your opponent does?
Old 06-30-2022, 03:09 PM   #3
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love that Mathgod responded to this first.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 03:45 PM   #4
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Put one exactly in the middle, then mirror exactly whatever your opponent does?
Yup. Radial symmetry for the win. The measurements and shapes are largely red herrings. As long as the table is a flat, radially symmetric shape (a square would work) and the "cigars" have at least one orientation when placed on the table so that (from above) it is also radially symmetric (like a block in the shape of an equilateral triangle), the winning strategy works.

Or does it? Are the above rules sufficient, or can you think of a counter example?
Old 06-30-2022, 03:48 PM   #5
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a couple that I came across the other day. I don't think the math is too complex, but just not intuitive.

1. How many people would you need in a room for there to be a 50% chance that 2 of the people will share the same birthday?

2. If you had a rope and extended it around the circumference of the Earth (40,075 km), then wanted to elevate the rope 1 foot off the ground across the whole plant, so it was like a ring hovering over the Earth, how much more rope would you need? Then do the same thing with a tennis ball and compare the numbers.

I will admit that I am not a math guy, but the answers surprised me.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 06-30-2022 at 11:20 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:10 PM   #6
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I have a couple that I came across the other day. I don't think the match is too complex, but just not intuitive.

1. How many people would you need in a room for there to be a 50% chance that 2 of the people will share the same birthday?

2. If you had a rope and extended it around the circumference of the Earth (40,075 km), then wanted to elevate the rope 1 foot off the ground across the whole plant, so it was like a ring hovering over the Earth, how much more rope would you need? Then do the same thing with a tennis ball and compare the numbers.

I will admit that I am not a math guy, but the answers surprised me.
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 06-30-2022 at 04:14 PM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 05:13 PM   #7
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I’m still mystified by this puzzle:

Two people are in prison, and the jailer offers them a math puzzle, which if they give the right answer, the jailer will let them go free, if they give the wrong answer, they will be executed.

- the prisoners know all of the rules of the game beforehand and can discuss their strategy before the puzzle starts.

- there is a chess board, and 64 coins, one for each space. There is also a token that can completely hide under a coin without being able to tell if it’s there.

- after the prisons discuss their strategy, the jailer sends one of them out of the room, no communication is possible between the two prisoners.

- with only the jailer and one prisoner in the room, the jailer places one coin on each space of the chess board, head or tails in each space, jailers choice.

- the jailer places the token under one coin, with the prisoner aware of where the coin is placed.

- The prisoner can flip any ONE and only one coin from heads to tails or vice versa.

- there is no heat transfer, to tell if one coin is warmer than others.

- After the coin is flipped, the second prisoner returns to the cell, and has ONE choice to pick up a coin to see if the token is underneath. If they pick up the coin with the token under, they go free, if not, they are executed.

- how do the prisoners survive?

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 06-30-2022 at 05:17 PM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:29 PM   #8
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I’m still mystified by this puzzle:

Two people are in prison, and the jailer offers them a math puzzle, which if they give the right answer, the jailer will let them go free, if they give the wrong answer, they will be executed.

- the prisoners know all of the rules of the game beforehand and can discuss their strategy before the puzzle starts.

- there is a chess board, and 64 coins, one for each space. There is also a token that can completely hide under a coin without being able to tell if it’s there.

- after the prisons discuss their strategy, the jailer sends one of them out of the room, no communication is possible between the two prisoners.

- with only the jailer and one prisoner in the room, the jailer places one coin on each space of the chess board, head or tails in each space, jailers choice.

- the jailer places the token under one coin, with the prisoner aware of where the coin is placed.

- The prisoner can flip any ONE and only one coin from heads to tails or vice versa.

- there is no heat transfer, to tell if one coin is warmer than others.

- After the coin is flipped, the second prisoner returns to the cell, and has ONE choice to pick up a coin to see if the token is underneath. If they pick up the coin with the token under, they go free, if not, they are executed.

- how do the prisoners survive?
I haven't heard this problem before, but my initial instinct is it is a parity problem, and probably closely related to hamming codes. I'll try to take some time this weekend to work it out.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:35 PM   #9
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Is that actually a math puzzle, or is it a "point the head of the flipped coin at the door to the room when you flip it" sort of puzzle?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:36 PM   #10
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Is that actually a math puzzle, or is it a "point the head of the flipped coin at the door to the room when you flip it" sort of puzzle?
Actually a math puzzle. The solution isn’t a trick.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:37 PM   #11
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

dfdf
Old 07-01-2022, 01:47 AM   #12
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went on a binge for these types of puzzles I found on YouTube a year ago

Here’s a few of my favourites

Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:05 AM   #13
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I haven't heard this problem before, but my initial instinct is it is a parity problem, and probably closely related to hamming codes. I'll try to take some time this weekend to work it out.
Ok, I figured it out, but I had a bit of help. It had been a while since I learned about hamming codes - I just remembered it was a clever way to do parity-based error checking while also being able to identify the location of the error bit.

But reviewing the specifics of how hamming codes work clued me into the solution.

Quick solution + example
Spoiler!

More detail
Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 11:09 AM   #14
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yup. Radial symmetry for the win. The measurements and shapes are largely red herrings. As long as the table is a flat, radially symmetric shape (a square would work) and the "cigars" have at least one orientation when placed on the table so that (from above) it is also radially symmetric (like a block in the shape of an equilateral triangle), the winning strategy works.

Or does it? Are the above rules sufficient, or can you think of a counter example?
Ok, I don't know why I said an equilateral triangle was radially symmetric. it's not, and using it would not work. Use a square instead. Oops.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:48 AM   #15
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, I figured it out, but I had a bit of help. It had been a while since I learned about hamming codes - I just remembered it was a clever way to do parity-based error checking while also being able to identify the location of the error bit.

But reviewing the specifics of how hamming codes work clued me into the solution.

Quick solution + example
Spoiler!

More detail
Spoiler!
Here is the explanation:

Spoiler!

And more:
Spoiler!

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 07-02-2022 at 12:18 PM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:30 AM   #16
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok, let me post a more mathematical puzzle. This one sounds daunting, but you only need high school math to figure it out.

Prove that the difference between two consecutive primes can be arbitrarily large.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:56 PM   #17
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, let me post a more mathematical puzzle. This one sounds daunting, but you only need high school math to figure it out.

Prove that the difference between two consecutive primes can be arbitrarily large.
Say you want two primes to be separated by at least n cosecutive composite numbers.

(n+1)! + 2
(n+1)! + 3
(n+1)! + n+1

This is a run of n consecutive composite numbers. Now just choose n to be as large as you want.
Old 07-04-2022, 02:09 PM   #18
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Say you want two primes to be separated by at least n cosecutive composite numbers.

(n+1)! + 2
(n+1)! + 3
(n+1)! + n+1

This is a run of n consecutive composite numbers. Now just choose n to be as large as you want.
Great job!

Maybe going forward we spoiler the solutions to give others a chance. I think figuring out a problem by yourself is extremely rewarding.

Also, if you've heard the problem before (not saying you did), maybe wait a day or so before posting to give people time to think about it.

I like this problem because it sounds difficult but the solution is so elegant. The trick is to shift your focus from the primes to the composites in between the primes.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:39 PM   #19
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

My bad, will use spoiler tags next time.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:33 PM   #20
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok, another puzzle.

You have a meter stick placed so that the 0cm marker is on the left, and the 100cm marker is on the right.

99 ants are placed on every cm marker from 1 to 99.

The ant at cm 1 is facing to the right. The ant at cm 99 is facing left.

For the 97 ants in between, a coin is flipped to determine if that ant is facing left or right: heads, the ant faces left, tails the ant faces right.

Ants only walk in a straight line at 1cm/s in the direction they are heading. If an ant bumps into another ant, both ants immediately turn around and start walking in the opposite direction.

If an ant walks to either end of the meter stick, it falls off.

1) Prove that, eventually, all ants will fall off?
2) What is the maximum time it will take for all ants to fall off?