Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2022, 05:07 PM   #1661
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Edmonton certainly is counting a lot more area in their CMA; 9,438.86 km2 compared to 5,107.55 km2 for Calgary.
Edmonton CMA is the largest in Canada by area. Not sure if I should be surprised by that or not.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:48 AM   #1662
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Edmonton CMA is the largest in Canada by area. Not sure if I should be surprised by that or not.
It's almost like they are overcompensating for something.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 08:47 AM   #1663
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Calgary's CMA must only include areas within a 20 minute drive to downtown, like Airdrie.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:46 AM   #1664
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I looked it up a few years ago when I noticed that Beiseker is in the Calgary CMA, but closer communities like Okotoks and Strathmore aren't. It has to do with commuting data.

If a minimum percentage of the population of the smaller community commutes into the larger city for work, or a minimum percentage of the people who work in the smaller community commute from the larger city, the smaller community is included in the Census Metropolitan Area of the larger city.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:36 AM   #1665
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

My phone is autocorrecting Yes to Yea. WTF?
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 12:13 PM   #1666
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
My phone is autocorrecting Yes to Yea. WTF?
Can't you press and hold the yea selection and choose, "remove prediction"?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:53 PM   #1667
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Sure. It’s just weird that it would happen to one of the most common words in English.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:54 PM   #1668
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure. It’s just weird that it would happen to one of the most common words in English.
You probably have typoed the s to an a enough that it thinks it what you actually want.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 01:04 PM   #1669
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's possible you mistyped yea instead of yes once. Then the predictive text tried to be smarter than you thinking that you always want to use yea to be hip and cool.

It has its pros and cons. I like being able to wave my finger around and get my email or calgarypuck on swiftkey keyboard, or if I type in my house number, it offers the option to predict the rest of my address.

The predictive text on my phone's OS keyboard can't pick it up and it won't learn it no matter how hard I try.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #1670
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I meant to post that in the GMG thread. Oh well. Being very busy makes me happy.
Old 04-30-2022, 10:26 AM   #1671
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I saw an old barber out in front of his business yelling at an uber driver during rush hour on Friday night.

The uber driver had stopped in the 3rd lane of a busy thoroughfare in the city, put on his 4 way flashers (it's ok! my 4 way flashers are on! That means I'm not an inconsiderate dick when I block traffic!) in order to pick up a delivery from the restaurant next door. The old dude was pointing at the sign which stated no parking between 4-6p, and yelling at the guy. I loved it.

People who stop wherever the hell they feel like like all the time and think putting on 4 way hazards somehow makes everything ok annoys the hell out of me.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2022, 11:00 AM   #1672
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Uber drivers are largely former taxi drivers, so they’re just as terrible.

I had one stop and block off a loading area I need to get to. I honked and he just raised his arms incredulously and proceeded to take a whole minute to unload his passenger with her stroller, kids, and bags. She had to go about 50m further up to get in the building anyway, where there was lots of room.

I saw one of the old black and yellow Checker cabs with the logos removed that rear ended someone on Deerfoot yesterday. They’re the worst drivers.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:11 PM   #1673
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

had time for a couple hours of 'truck therapy' today. i had to reroute a wire in behind the dash of my old truck. ended up having to pull almost half the dash out to get the job done! ha! my neighbour came by to say hi as they walked their dog and saw the inside of my truck and their jaw almost hit the floor - i guess pulling apart their vehicle isn't on their "done that" list - ha! ha!
one great thing about a job like this is you can get the dust out of the impossible to clean areas.

can't wait to work on it again - hopefully sooner than later!
Old 05-01-2022, 10:18 AM   #1674
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Can't you press and hold the yea selection and choose, "remove prediction"?
Thank you for this.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:31 AM   #1675
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I think you can easily passion your way into working as a Walmart greeter in your 70s and 80s.

I prefer the make-hay-while-the-sun-shines philosophy. Work is to be tolerated and you should be maximizing your dollars per hour. That requires some sacrifice, but I don't agree life can be all sunshine and roses. There's a lot of suffering, but you need to pepper in as many good times as you can.

I like to go for super approachable, attainable fun. I don't work for 18 months and then go on a six-week vacation somewhere, as an example. Every weekend we do fun stuff, during the week I try to get out and do a couple fun things, and every month we do something really fun (camping, snowboarding getaway, party with all my friends, etc.). I mean, just for the fata of it a few weeks ago I rented a limo with my squad and we hit some pubs. It was ridiculous, but hilarious.

All that is to say don't bother trying to find some meaningful, fun, enriching job. There's like one of those for every 1000 people. Do your best to find a job that allows you to maintain your sanity, but more importantly leaves you with the time off to enjoy your life. Labouring just isn't going to be satisfying for most of us regardless of what it is, and being passionate about labouring is out of the question for me and most others.

Also - and not pointing this at djflames in particular as I don't know what his motivational style is - generally try to skip any employer-sponsored motivational speakers. They're there to try to reframe how you view your job in order to squeeze more out of you at the lowest cost possible. Pay a guest speaker $2500 to amp up you team of 300 people? That's cheap manipulation and you should always opt out of attempts to manipulate you into higher productivity without increased compensation.
I would call coaching very different than the motivational speaker. I had a professional coach once and it was pretty damn awesome. In no way were they trying to reframe my views or squeeze more out of me. They were an ally and a trusted advisor and someone I could be brutally honest with.

Motivational speakers are different. They’re like a high dose of sugar, energizing and enlightening and then it goes away quickly. I have listened to dozens of these over the years and been responsible for hiring a few. Frankly it’s about giving your team a cool story to tell more than anything permanent. But it’s not something to avoid, no one is manipulating you. You have the free will to listen to what they are saying and do with it what you will.

And my God, it is truly the easiest gig in the world. You achieved something huge in your life, which was obviously was very difficult. You then hire someone to help you craft a speech around it and off you go repeating it over and over. The money some of them is make is incredible.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:49 PM   #1676
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My dog’s ability to pull me out of a funk.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2022, 09:42 PM   #1677
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moving from the Grind thread to here for today. Saw somebody using an electric scooter by themselves (not doubled up or holding a baby) in a bike lane (not on the sidewalk) AND with a helmet at a reasonable manner and pace.

It was . . . startling?

I went and bought a bunch of lottery tickets afterwards.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:22 PM   #1678
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

A firefighter ran across the street to meet a small kid with Downs. Warmed my heart.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2022, 01:30 PM   #1679
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

The window order finished a couple weeks early, so the guys are here installing the 'back half' of the house with the new windows. Wasn't expecting that until mid-June
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2022, 03:51 PM   #1680
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

My son was sent home sick yesterday with a sore throat and stuffed nose, but that cleared up quickly today, so we spent all afternoon on our scooters rolling around the neighborhood.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post: