Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #1
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Buying a game console

Introduction: I'm 45, I don't have a video game console, and the last video game I played regularly was Leisure Suit Larry about 20+ years ago (for the promise of pixelated boobies). I know next to nothing about video games and consoles except that the commercials for them look pretty realistic.

My son has expressed interest in us getting one, so I'm starting to do research as a potential present for his sixth birthday this autumn or for Christmas. I was initially looking at Nintendo due to what I perceive to be more family-friendly features, but it looks like they have a new console (NX) coming out next year.

Is it appropriate to get a PS4 or XBOX One for a young-ish child (and probably me and my wife)? What games would be okay for him to play?Should I wait until the NX comes out?

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
Introduction: I'm 45, I don't have a video game console, and the last video game I played regularly was Leisure Suit Larry about 20+ years ago (for the promise of pixelated boobies). I know next to nothing about video games and consoles except that the commercials for them look pretty realistic.

My son has expressed interest in us getting one, so I'm starting to do research as a potential present for his sixth birthday this autumn or for Christmas. I was initially looking at Nintendo due to what I perceive to be more family-friendly features, but it looks like they have a new console (NX) coming out next year.

Is it appropriate to get a PS4 or XBOX One for a young-ish child (and probably me and my wife)? What games would be okay for him to play?Should I wait until the NX comes out?

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
We have a PS3 (looking at a PS4), there are lots of games on the PS console(s) that he would like. The Lego universe alone is great as a sports games (as he gets older he will like them more and more, currently I struggle to beat the boy at hockey/soccer/rugby).

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jump into PS4 right away. Tons of games to get into, and it's the superior console.

PS3 is still a great console, but developers are slowly going to stop producing games for it.

Also, like UCB said, the Lego games are great family fun.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are wanting a PS4, at least wait until the latest model (PS4 Neo) hits shelves in September. It'll be a slightly more powerful update on the PS4 until the next gen of consoles hit sometime in late '17 or in '18.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

My kids are 6 and 4. As mentioned above, the lego games are awesome (available for everything). If your son is into superheroes like mine is, there's more games than he'll be able to play. LittleBigPlanet 3 is another popular one around out house on PS4.

You're correct that Nintendo is focused more on the family experience, but all systems do have games kids can enjoy. Personally I'm excited for the NX to come out so I can maybe find a WiiU for super cheap. It's been largely abandoned by Nintendo, but as it is with every generation, there's some real gems in that collection once the dust settles. They aren't systems I buy new, but used Nintendo is all kinds of good times.

For today though, I recommend a PS4. Good library and it'll give you the option to jump into VR in a few months if you want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
If you are wanting a PS4, at least wait until the latest model (PS4 Neo) hits shelves in September. It'll be a slightly more powerful update on the PS4 until the next gen of consoles hit sometime in late '17 or in '18.
Or wait until the latest model comes out and buy a current version for cheaper. There's an event for it on September 7, but it's not expected to be a world-changer (more like a phone upgrade than a traditional console upgrade).

Last edited by Russic; 08-16-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #6
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would go with the xbox one. Not only is it better suited for media consumption as well but you can get EA Access for $30/yr and have all the EA released games for free 6 months after they have been released. It's great value to get all the years sports game for free.

I find Xbox to have more sales as well as I picked up most of the lego games for around $5 or $10.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I bought the Xbox One on launch and if was to make the decision again I'd still buy the xbox one even though the PS4 is a better machine by all reports. I barely play any games in this generation of consoles and use the xbox for tv, netflix and plex.

If I was buying for a young one and didn't care about the above, I'd probably buy a nintendo. PS4 I'd buy if I were hardcore into gaming.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #8
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS4 and PS3 have a built in blueray player, by the way.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #9
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah you can't beat the WiiU for kids gaming, especially if you can find a used one for cheaper.

For that young you might look into a 2DS as well, robust, pretty inexpensive, and lots of games both new and old in their online store.

I usually end up having all consoles from a generation (though I still don't have a PS4), but if I had to limit it I'd probably go with a PS4 and a Nintendo handheld.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #10
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
PS4 and PS3 have a built in blueray player, by the way.
So does the Xbox
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #11
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

PS4 is about to release a new console "update" called the Neo. It will be slightly more powerful and have 4K capabilities. Xbox just did the same with the Xbox one S.
Further to this they will be releasing the "Scorpio" which will be even more powerful still.

These releases have dropped the price of Xbox One and I would assume the PS4 will follow suit. If you have an awesome 4K tv, these are the cheapest 4K players on the market. If this is not a concern, you could buy a console now. But may be worth it to hold off for the Neo to release and lower PS4 prices
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #12
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a Wii U and a Xbox One and I would definitely go with the Wii U, especially if you have a 6 year old. Playing Nintendo games with a child is one the most fun things you could possibly do and definitely cranks up the nostalgia levels
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #13
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

I'd steer clear of Nintendo, it is painfully thin on the software front, though to be fair, most young kids won't notice nor care about that.

PS4 is by far the most popular system these days, as it's somewhat more powerful than the XB1. Both are very similar though.

I went with the PS4 because Sony makes terrific exclusives. Not a big fan of Microsoft's 1st party lineups.

From a kids' perspective, mine (boy 5, girls 8 and 10) love the Little Big Planet and Just Dance games, so that's primarily what they play on it.

With the impending releases of the newer hardware, there's bound to be good deals to be found on all 3 fronts. Be patient and you'll likely score a great buy, no matter which one you decide to go for.

Last edited by StrykerSteve; 08-16-2016 at 05:49 PM.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #14
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah, the WiiU isn't great. I'd avoid an Xbox, even having a Windows 10 computer myself. Get a PS4.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:36 PM   #15
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Twilight Princess, Windwaker, Mario Kart 8, Mario Maker, Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, Smash Bros, New Super Mario Bros, Wooly World, Star Fox Zero, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Monster Hunter, Nintendo Land, Pokken Tournament, plus a pile of amazing SNES/N64 games... Yup. Thin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doctajones428 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #16
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a PS4 and my kids play it lots when friends come over... LEGO games, Minecraft, Terraria, EA Sports titles, etc. are all super fun and really cheap to buy. They also play WiiU for the Mario titles and party games.

But they play their iPads a whole lot more with tons of quick consumption titles that are easy to vet. They can play (again) Minecraft and Terraria, Pokémon Go (if you tether them or hit up a wifi spot), and they can also use it to take pictures, make their own movies, or facetime grandma, etc. Plus as they get older they use it to get in touch with their friends from school and sports. There is just so much more for them to do with them, the only hard part is trying to fairly restrict their time.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #17
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly, you can't really go wrong with any of the current gen of consoles. While they have different strengths and weaknesses, they are all very capable gaming devices and are great for kids.

The Wii U probably has the shortest shelf life of the three, but will be the cheapest. My 9 year old son loves the mario games and Splatoon. It's probably the most simple and kid friendly of the bunch, but has the least amount of games.

The Xbox One is a great option if you want to do things other than just playing games. It has a fairly rich set of media and entertainment features. These are useless if you already own an AppleTV/Roku/SmartTV.

PS4 is the best overall console for playing games and has the largest library. It will likely be useful for the longest amount of time and chances are that your kids friends will own one if they ever want to play with them.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #18
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
Twilight Princess, Windwaker, Mario Kart 8, Mario Maker, Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, Smash Bros, New Super Mario Bros, Wooly World, Star Fox Zero, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Monster Hunter, Nintendo Land, Pokken Tournament, plus a pile of amazing SNES/N64 games... Yup. Thin.
They don't get a lot of the big third party titles. That's all I meant.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:56 PM   #19
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
They don't get a lot of the big third party titles. That's all I meant.
I can't deny that. I mainly use my Xbone or PC for the third parties so I fortunately don't really have that issue, but I still find myself playing the Wii U more than anything though
Old 08-17-2016, 08:26 AM   #20
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Jump into PS4 right away. Tons of games to get into, and it's the superior console.

PS3 is still a great console, but developers are slowly going to stop producing games for it.

Also, like UCB said, the Lego games are great family fun.
FYI if you get a PS4 it's not backwards compatible and won't be able to use PS3 games nor (many, not all) accessories
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo , ps4 , xbox