Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Vegas (TV Show)

Am I in the minority of people who are looking forward to this premiering on CBS on Tuesday night? Michael Chiklis, Dennis Quaid, and Carrie-Anne Moss...60s era organized crime vs old-school cowboy cops...based on real events and people...is any part of this equation bad?

I've been pretty hyped up about this show for a while now, and I am very excited to see what it can deliver this Tuesday.

Anyone else plan on watching this? Discussion?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Am I in the minority of people who are looking forward to this premiering on CBS on Tuesday night? Michael Chiklis, Dennis Quaid, and Carrie-Anne Moss...60s era organized crime vs old-school cowboy cops...based on real events and people...is any part of this equation bad?

I've been pretty hyped up about this show for a while now, and I am very excited to see what it can deliver this Tuesday.

Anyone else plan on watching this? Discussion?
I may watch it, but the main draw is:

Spoiler!

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any show featuring a go4celebrity.com endorsement is good enough for me.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Michael Chiklis, Dennis Quaid... don't you mean Robert Urich?

timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Of all the new shows to come out recently (only network shows), this is one I'm actually anticipating.

Dennis Quaid has been in some extremely bad movies in the past couple years so I don't know if he is just a really bad actor or is just terrible at picking projects (or just likes cashing in), but I'm hoping he is good in this. Michael Chiklis will no doubt be good.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have it set to pvr, but am not holding my breathe
Old 09-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a fan of both actors. Denis Quaid is no Gary Oldman as far as acting range but he can play this role really well. Also Michael Chiklis has already played this role well in The Shield. I'm rooting for it to be good.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every show about Vegas or situated in Vegas that I liked was cancelled after one season.

I'm going to watch this one anyway.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Came for the Vega$/Robert Urich reference, leaving satisfied.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

What did people think? I thought it was better than Revolution. Chiklis was great and Quaid was ok, but I really hated Carrie-Anne Moss in that role. Did not seem the right fit at all.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I thought it was okay. I'll watch the 2nd episode.
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Saw it on the tv for literally 7 seconds and it looked bad.

Unless you guys think it is worth watching, there are a lot more and better shows out there.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wasn't quite what I expected, but it is the pilot and the characters and plotlines have to settle in. Chiklis and Quaid were great, but as of right now Carrie-Anne Moss' character just feels like an odd throw into the mix. Again, I think the character has to develop and we need to understand her relationship and overall role in the series.

There were some roll-your-eyes moments.

Spoiler!

I also didn't get into the fact that we were supposed to sympathize with Chiklis' character so early in the series.

Spoiler!

This sort of stuff burned up early on really weakens, what is supposed to be, the main antagonist.

Overall, it was a pretty average premiere. I think the theme, plot, and setting have a TON of potential if they can just move away from some of the stale television conventions.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Saw it on the tv for literally 7 seconds and it looked bad.

Unless you guys think it is worth watching, there are a lot more and better shows out there.
Seven seconds. Good review. Should be sufficient for the seven second attention span crowd.
I watched the whole episode. Character development will make or break this show in the next few episodes. I like the premise, but period shows are incredibly difficult to sustain as well as very expensive to produce. I'll watch the next episode, but I'm not getting too attached to it. I really liked the high concept "Life on Mars"(US version) and they cancelled that one pretty quick. Maybe Jason O'Mara is the kiss of death for new shows...
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:24 AM   #15
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ice Player View Post
Seven seconds. Good review. Should be sufficient for the seven second attention span crowd.
I watched the whole episode. Character development will make or break this show in the next few episodes. I like the premise, but period shows are incredibly difficult to sustain as well as very expensive to produce. I'll watch the next episode, but I'm not getting too attached to it. I really liked the high concept "Life on Mars"(US version) and they cancelled that one pretty quick. Maybe Jason O'Mara is the kiss of death for new shows...
I'll have to agree with you. Nothing really popped out in this show and it isn't a good sign. I really want to see these two make some good entertaining stuff. Michael Chiklis hasn't put good TV out since The Shield.

If you want an interesting period piece from the same time try Starz - Magic City. Starring Jeffrey Morgan, the Comedian from the Watchmen.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:54 AM   #16
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Saw the first episode and wasn't really impressed. Not horrible, but not great. Hopefully it will improve.

As per all the Michael Chiklis comments (and, by extension, the Shield), I watched the first 3 episodes of The Shield and I thought it was terrible. Just so...cliched and predictable and very badly written dialogue. Is it the kind of show that grows on you or something? Because, if not, I do not get it.

Sorry for the slight derail.

Tags
cbs , cowboys vs mobsters , television , vegas