Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Windows 8 - first look

This appears to be a significant departure from their traditional UI and a definite move to unify their phone, tablet, and desktop operating systems.

It probably raises more questions than it answers though. Like, is a touchscreen monitor pretty much required now? Is that tile thing just a UI that sits atop of their traditional one? If you watch closely when he switches to excel, you can still see the start button circle thing.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looks pretty cool. They state right in the video, you can use a touch screen monitor or use your mouse and keyboard.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post

It probably raises more questions than it answers though. Like, is a touchscreen monitor pretty much required now? Is that tile thing just a UI that sits atop of their traditional one? If you watch closely when he switches to excel, you can still see the start button circle thing.
Microsoft: "Uhh hey guys, how can we make a boat load of money without doing anything? I got it! Let's stick Windows Phone 7 on top of Windows 7 and sell it as a new OS!"

It's a touchscreen interface over Windows 7 basically. I hope there is some way to uninstall or disable it or boot up into the standard UI.

I think it's pretty stupid looking. It's a sad state of computing when our mainstream uses are for tweeting, getting feeds, and sharing pictures with other people. I don't want all that tile crap.

The only useful feature is the sliding panels where it automatically resizes applications (I hate how he calls them apps) when you slide other applications into the workspace. This will make having multiple work windows much easier to handle without 3rd party programs like I have to use right now.

The new interface is not going to be useful for desktops until we start getting 24"+ touchscreen monitors. This may be a good thing for tablets though, if we start getting powerful tablets that are able to run the whole suite of PC programs on top of being a tablet platform.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 06-02-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like the tile system though it's basically just widgets.

From a design perspective I absolutely love the UI. The responsive apps that auto-configure based on allocated space is pretty awesome.

That said, it seems like the kind of thing that looks really impressive in a demo of all-Microsoft apps, but what will it look like it you load it up with 3rd party stuff?

Pretty excited to actually play around with one of these.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this the last pc version of Windows, I wonder? I would guess Android almost completely replaces Windows within 5 years. And IOS probably keeps the Mac share. Makes you wonder what is left for MS when all is said and done.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

The rumors I have heard is that Windows will start releasing different versions for biz and non biz.

Example W9 will be non biz, w10 Biz etc.

Its the backward compatibility required for Biz now that is really keeping the OS from being consumer centric. And now with the new volume license agreements yearly mtce fee now, you dont really need biz to purchase the OS to keep generating revenue.

For every computer we purchase we are purchasing a W7 Prof license but we never use it, we instead pay the yearly mtce fee for W7 Enterprise.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
MacGruber
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

windows 8 will suck. windows 9 will pick up the pieces. this is the progression of windows.
MacGruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I think it's pretty stupid looking. It's a sad state of computing when our mainstream uses are for tweeting, getting feeds, and sharing pictures with other people. I don't want all that tile crap.
Well, I hate to tell you but for the majority of users out there, that's about it. My wife will love this new UI. It will make her comp super easy for her to use...check out FaceBook, follow tweets, sharing pictures and browsing the web/watching web videos...pretty much what a lot of typical users use their computers for.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
windows 8 will suck. windows 9 will pick up the pieces. this is the progression of windows.
So Windows works like Star Trek movies?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
MacGruber
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

exactly.

7=good. Vista=terrible. XP=Good. ME=Terrible.

and so on
MacGruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #11
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I like the tile system though it's basically just widgets.

From a design perspective I absolutely love the UI. The responsive apps that auto-configure based on allocated space is pretty awesome.

That said, it seems like the kind of thing that looks really impressive in a demo of all-Microsoft apps, but what will it look like it you load it up with 3rd party stuff?

Pretty excited to actually play around with one of these.
I think the tile based UI is one of the more underrated things MS has done, and deserves a lot more attention than it gets. It makes the iPad look antiquated..i have a huge 1024x768 display, and my home screen is a bunch of little, static icons...what's up with that.

I'll be quite interested to see how it works on the desktop..
Old 06-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Is this the last pc version of Windows, I wonder? I would guess Android almost completely replaces Windows within 5 years. And IOS probably keeps the Mac share. Makes you wonder what is left for MS when all is said and done.
I'm probably misunderstanding, but you're suggesting that Android will replace Windows on PCs within 5 years?

MS owns the most-used VOIP software in the world, is in bed with the largest mobile handset manufacturer in the world, and maintains something like an 89% market share in operating systems across all personal devices. They aren't going anywhere for a long time.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I don't mind this, as long as existing functionality isn't destroyed in the process. I see - in a rather clunky way - that Windows 7 is kinda still there when they moved over to Excel. I kinda wonder if that will change before the final product release.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #14
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about Windows 3.1, Tabworks edition?

Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looks like the new Calgary Sun website. Yuck !!!
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #16
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It's a Metro UI supplement for explorer, not the end of the world. Click the desktop icon (or disable the Metro UI), and Windows 8 will look just like Windows 7, but with ARM support. Looks pretty sweet for a tablet UI, not sure how useful it would be for a desktop, but I bet computer illiterate types would have an easier time with it.
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #17
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would guess Android almost completely replaces Windows within 5 years.
Maybe in the consumer space, but very unlikely for SMB and enterprise customers. Companies have invested billions in Windows software and employee training; they're not going to walk away from that easily.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #18
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I'm probably misunderstanding, but you're suggesting that Android will replace Windows on PCs within 5 years?

MS owns the most-used VOIP software in the world, is in bed with the largest mobile handset manufacturer in the world, and maintains something like an 89% market share in operating systems across all personal devices. They aren't going anywhere for a long time.
Things change fast in the pc world. I'm not convinced tablets will replace keyboards and mice, but it won't be long before an android device can do everything a pc can better and faster, and you don't have to wait 20 minutes to boot up. I don't see PCs as we know them surviving 5 years. They are already dying in the consumer space. Maybe I'm wrong, but check back in 5 years, and we'll see who wins!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #19
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Maybe in the consumer space, but very unlikely for SMB and enterprise customers. Companies have invested billions in Windows software and employee training; they're not going to walk away from that easily.
I don't know, I look at my work pc, and the only software I have loaded are browsers, office, and a bunch of client software that could easily be ported to whatever, hell most of them are java clients anyway. I guess smaller businesses may have some real windows applications, but I could easily see enterprises saving a ton of money by switching to an android type OS, instead of managing fat pcs.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #20
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Things change fast in the pc world. I'm not convinced tablets will replace keyboards and mice, but it won't be long before an android device can do everything a pc can better and faster, and you don't have to wait 20 minutes to boot up. I don't see PCs as we know them surviving 5 years. They are already dying in the consumer space. Maybe I'm wrong, but check back in 5 years, and we'll see who wins!
I'm pretty sure you're wrong.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:

Tags
microsoft , windows 8