Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2022, 03:38 PM   #6861
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Rob isn’t usually sarcastic.. so this makes me laugh as I think he is simply making a statement of fact from his view

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559625301273059333
Tank-on-tank battles are rare in the Ukr/Rus conflict. The LNR and DNR forces use their tanks in direct fire support roles to the infantry and they use them to clobber AFU bunkers and other strong points. With this in mind, there isn't much to gain (and a lot to risk) by throwing your top tanks at this role when the lesser models are equally as capable of doing the job.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 03:50 PM   #6862
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I suspect there will be some kind of escalation on August 24th targeting Ukrainian Independence celebrations. Apparently there are a lot of missiles being massed in Belarus, likely for strikes on Kyiv. There is also rumor of 10-15k Belarussian soldiers willing to invade from the North.
That's been talked about since the start of the war, it seems very unlikely that it will ever actually happen. Perun made a video about that topic.

Belarus can do almost as much by threatening to attack than by actually attacking, but with much less risk to themselves.

So they'll likely keep threatening and never do anything.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 03:56 PM   #6863
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Russia invades Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Tank-on-tank battles are rare in the Ukr/Rus conflict. The LNR and DNR forces use their tanks in direct fire support roles to the infantry and they use them to clobber AFU bunkers and other strong points. With this in mind, there isn't much to gain (and a lot to risk) by throwing your top tanks at this role when the lesser models are equally as capable of doing the job.

I wonder what the gap is here:
Either Rob missed something
Rob is showing a bias
You’re missing something
I am not connecting/understanding your response to Rob’s comments properly

Rob seems respected by verified retired generals on Twitter (including one who was a “tanker” that came up the ranks working in tanks) so I assume he knows his stuff

Last edited by Mull; 08-16-2022 at 04:11 PM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:50 PM   #6864
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is an awesome Twitter thread. Thank god Biden won and he was able to rally the allies.

His presidency is far from perfect but he gets top marks for his admin work on Ukraine

Read the entire thread! Gives lots of insights of what was happening

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559546232229580800

Last edited by Mull; 08-16-2022 at 07:15 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 09:26 PM   #6865
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder what the gap is here:
(1) Either Rob missed something
(2) Rob is showing a bias
(3) You’re missing something
I am not connecting/understanding your response to Rob’s comments properly

Rob seems respected by verified retired generals on Twitter (including one who was a “tanker” that came up the ranks working in tanks) so I assume he knows his stuff
My interpretation of Lee's tweet is that he believes that Russia's more advanced MBTs are better-served in Ukraine than playing in silly competitions. My response is that the modern MBTs aren't necessary given the roles assigned to the tanks. As Lee probably knows, the AFU's tank situation right now is not that great. Therefore, if the threat of the enemy's tanks isn't that great, then there isn't much of a point deploying your top-line tanks when they aren't needed.

That being said, the optics are shyte when your troops are bleeding on the battlefield while you are holding military competitions with foreign troops. In that regard, I have some common ground with Lee.

After all of that, what's your interpretation of his tweet?

I have close to 30 years in the Army; I have seen tanks in action in the former Yugoslavia and Afghanistan. Tanks were used to support the infantry in the direct fire role. They were clobbering buildings and mud huts, not engaging with other tanks. The Syrians learned the hard way on how to employ their tanks and there, too, they now support the infantry, especially in built-up areas. The T-55 is just as effective as a T-72 or T-80 in walloping fortified positions. Not much has changed in Ukraine. Why use a T-80 or T-90 if a T-64 does the job, especially if it's a captured Ukrainian T-64?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 09:36 PM   #6866
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
My interpretation of Lee's tweet is that he believes that Russia's more advanced MBTs are better-served in Ukraine than playing in silly competitions. My response is that the modern MBTs aren't necessary given the roles assigned to the tanks. As Lee probably knows, the AFU's tank situation right now is not that great. Therefore, if the threat of the enemy's tanks isn't that great, then there isn't much of a point deploying your top-line tanks when they aren't needed.

That being said, the optics are shyte when your troops are bleeding on the battlefield while you are holding military competitions with foreign troops. In that regard, I have some common ground with Lee.

After all of that, what's your interpretation of his tweet?

I have close to 30 years in the Army; I have seen tanks in action in the former Yugoslavia and Afghanistan. Tanks were used to support the infantry in the direct fire role. They were clobbering buildings and mud huts, not engaging with other tanks. The Syrians learned the hard way on how to employ their tanks and there, too, they now support the infantry, especially in built-up areas. The T-55 is just as effective as a T-72 or T-80 in walloping fortified positions. Not much has changed in Ukraine. Why use a T-80 or T-90 if a T-64 does the job, especially if it's a captured Ukrainian T-64?

Sorry wasn’t trying to challenge your expertise even though I can see it look like that.

I assumed the mistake was me- option 4 you quoted even if the 4 didn’t appear

Anyway thanks for the comments and detailed explaining.

I agree - Rob is talking about optics

Last edited by Mull; 08-16-2022 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:58 AM   #6867
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Panic in Crimea seems legit although degree of panic varies depending on source. Russian media admits that explosions were a Ukrainian doings but claim it was a saboteur team rather than a missile strike. Russians have apparently fixed the railways but still don't run trains as they are afraid of new strikes. Crimea leader says there is danger of new explosions. I have just walked by a coworker who was on the phone with someone who was clearly panicking and coworker told her to take a taxi to Simferopol (Crimea capital). Russian media report a lot of speculation about possible attack on Crimean bridge.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 07:03 AM   #6868
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
Panic in Crimea seems legit although degree of panic varies depending on source. Russian media admits that explosions were a Ukrainian doings but claim it was a saboteur team rather than a missile strike. Russians have apparently fixed the railways but still don't run trains as they are afraid of new strikes. Crimea leader says there is danger of new explosions. I have just walked by a coworker who was on the phone with someone who was clearly panicking and coworker told her to take a taxi to Simferopol (Crimea capital). Russian media report a lot of speculation about possible attack on Crimean bridge.

Ukraine also said it was a team not a missile strike, and the US said they didn’t think their missiles were capable of hitting the targets.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 07:40 AM   #6869
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I wonder if they will hit the bridge after the traffic clears. Twitter is full of speculation of how it may back fire for Ukraine at this time. Russia is worried as they have two radar decoy boats in the water (I am sure I got that terminology wrong).

Apparently there is a rail bridge too or something? I couldn’t find it on google maps. Given Russia’s love and need of transportation of equipment via rail .. if I was fleeing that area I would assume the rail line will get hit first and take the main bridge.

Is there a rail bridge? I can’t find it

Edit Ha ha it’s right beside it. I don’t know what I was looking at to miss it on google maps last night

Last edited by Mull; 08-17-2022 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:50 AM   #6870
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if they will hit the bridge after the traffic clears. Twitter is full of speculation of how it may back fire for Ukraine at this time. Russia is worried as they have two radar decoy boats in the water (I am sure I got that terminology wrong).

Apparently there is a rail bridge too or something? I couldn’t find it on google maps. Given Russia’s love and need of transportation of equipment via rail .. if I was fleeing that area I would assume the rail line will get hit first and take the main bridge.

Is there a rail bridge? I can’t find it

Edit Ha ha it’s right beside it. I don’t know what I was looking at to miss it on google maps last night
It's a rail bridge and highway bridge side by side, when Russians say "Crimea bridge", they usually mean both, we treat them as one.

The main concern with possible attack on the bridge is that it would put enormous pressure on Putin to respond and there's a high risk Putin would do something stupid and dangerous in retaliation. Also, as far as I understand the bridge isn't really that important from military standpoint.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 10:06 AM   #6871
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a rail bridge and highway bridge side by side, when Russians say "Crimea bridge", they usually mean both, we treat them as one.

The main concern with possible attack on the bridge is that it would put enormous pressure on Putin to respond and there's a high risk Putin would do something stupid and dangerous in retaliation. Also, as far as I understand the bridge isn't really that important from military standpoint.
That's a good point. But also, he's already doing stupid and dangerous stuff so it's not like having the bridge intact is holding him back IMO. I just think that from a UA standpoint, they want at least a route to get everyone out before considering taking it down. So overall I do think the bridge is being discussed as a target, likely with US/NATO intelligence guiding Ukraine with the most effective strategy and timeline.

Unlike Russia, Ukraine isn't going to start shooting civilians in the back as they leave so the more people leave voluntarily, the "harder" Ukraine can push militarily at taking it back without backlash of any civilian casualties, no matter how justified it is at this point.

I do think that if/when Crimea is taken back, that bridge is as good as gone. Probably dismantled or an organized explosion, instead of missiles striking it.

It's definitely interesting to follow. Russia really seems to be on edge about it, as you have mentioned. Thanks for the insight. Interesting to see the thoughts from the Russian perspective.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 10:11 AM   #6872
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
That's a good point. But also, he's already doing stupid and dangerous stuff so it's not like having the bridge intact is holding him back IMO. I just think that from a UA standpoint, they want at least a route to get everyone out before considering taking it down. So overall I do think the bridge is being discussed as a target, likely with US/NATO intelligence guiding Ukraine with the most effective strategy and timeline.

Unlike Russia, Ukraine isn't going to start shooting civilians in the back as they leave so the more people leave voluntarily, the "harder" Ukraine can push militarily at taking it back without backlash of any civilian casualties, no matter how justified it is at this point.

I do think that if/when Crimea is taken back, that bridge is as good as gone. Probably dismantled or an organized explosion, instead of missiles striking it.

It's definitely interesting to follow. Russia really seems to be on edge about it, as you have mentioned. Thanks for the insight. Interesting to see the thoughts from the Russian perspective.

Aligns with your comment -when you surround your enemies, leave an opening- Sun Tzu

Taking out that bridge removes that escape

https://www.quora.com/What-is-your-u...ross-%E2%80%9D

Spoiler!

I hope Ukraine takes Crimea back I really do, but I wonder if the best we can hope for is the status quo and Ukraine closing the canal starving water off that land. Even that seems impossible, I don't get how they are going to cross the river- They blew the bridges to prevent heavy equipment coming across. They now would have to build back up under fire.

Probably looking for a stalemate in the south, reinforced by the River, so they can put pressure on the east?

Last edited by Mull; 08-17-2022 at 10:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 11:45 AM   #6873
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559924577492426760

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 12:24 PM   #6874
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russians in Estonia mourning the Soviet T-34 that was removed a couple days ago.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559893821584015360
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:26 PM   #6875
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fantastic article by WaPo about the months, weeks and days leading up to the invasion and just how deep US intelligence runs within the Kremlin itself. The amount of moles and spies US intelligence has imbedded in the Russian government is staggering.

Nobody can ever argue that it's not fair to never trust the Russians ever again. Off ramp after off ramp were given, and none taken. Negotiations from months ago were NEVER done in good faith. A system of lies that never stops. They were ####-bags from the start and it continues to this day.

The day the Russian army and (hopefully) administration is dismantled and disabled will be a glorious day for the world as a whole.

Article is behind a paywall, but was posted to Reddit. Well worth the read.

WaPo Article

Reddit Thread
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 12:41 PM   #6876
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Ukrainian women and children are being trafficked into the UAE as sex slaves

https://www.eutimes.net/2022/08/ukra...as-sex-slaves/
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:52 PM   #6877
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part 1 of a Russian VDV Paratrooper's experience in Ukraine. This part is the first portion of apparently a 141 page first hand account being translated. This thread is his experience before the war.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1560022545356791810

Roll up of the twitter thread.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...356791810.html
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 05:09 PM   #6878
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this true? So much fake news these days, it's hard to tell. Seems a bit extreme to punish a starving family?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559564391447773186
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:02 PM   #6879
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The invading Russians prove once again what vile wretched creatures they are by attacking a dormitory in Kharkiv housed by deaf people who couldn't hear the sirens to evacuate.

Quote:
Natalya Popova, an adviser to regional officials, said that deaf individuals, who could not hear the air raid sirens or respond to rescuers, were living in the dormitory.
https://www.news.com.au/national/eme...fb258602d62a92

What is going on in Kharkiv City isn't getting enough attention like the Donbas and southern regions are. That city never stopped getting shelled. There are multiple Russian terrorist attacks every single day there.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 01:29 AM   #6880
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Is this true? So much fake news these days, it's hard to tell. Seems a bit extreme to punish a starving family?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559564391447773186
This stuff is not unfortunately rare in wartimes, wouldn't surprise me if it was legit.

And yes it's stupid. Even if you're not starving, taking supplies from the enemy does no harm, and people during wartime should be stockpiling every chance they get, because you never know how things will be tomorrow.

We can only hope it will be mostly interpreted with at least some reason. But it's war Wars make people angry, and bitter, and unreasonable.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks