Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2022, 11:59 AM   #1681
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...-and-run-death

So this guy hits and kills a little boy, leaves him laying like a dog in the street, tries to cover it up and gets a year of house arrest. This is disgusting.
"Filiault will serve eight months on the fail to remain charge and four months on the obstruction of justice charge, with GPS monitoring."

Wait.... so he was charged and sentenced for what he did AFTER the incident, but didn't receive any for the actual collision and death itself? WTF?
Old 08-17-2022, 12:02 PM   #1682
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
"Filiault will serve eight months on the fail to remain charge and four months on the obstruction of justice charge, with GPS monitoring."

Wait.... so he was charged and sentenced for what he did AFTER the incident, but didn't receive any for the actual collision and death itself? WTF?
There’s no proof of negligence I guess.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:07 PM   #1683
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Ah I guess I just assumed based on the uproar that he was driving recklessly and killed the kid or something. Possible the kid darted out in front of him and couldn't do anything, I should read on the circumstances I guess. If that's the case, while it's tragic and he's obviously a ######, hard to except a larger penalty if he wasn't at fault for the death itself.

edit: Looks like initially there was a 3rd charge of criminal negligence causing death, but there's no news past that as it appears it was magically dropped

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 08-17-2022 at 12:11 PM.
BlackArcher101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:12 PM   #1684
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Why would someone go through all that effort to conceal their role in the accident if it was an accident that they couldn't avoid?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 12:37 PM   #1685
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why would someone go through all that effort to conceal their role in the accident if it was an accident that they couldn't avoid?
People make lots of stupid decisions that defy common sense. There’s no rhyme or reason to it.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:51 PM   #1686
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would not be surprised he was drunk as well. He managed to to keep the police at bay for 2 weeks after the killing.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 03:00 PM   #1687
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Would not be surprised he was drunk as well. He managed to to keep the police at bay for 2 weeks after the killing.
That's my thought or he was just speeding and driving reckless.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 05:06 PM   #1688
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Ding. Ding. Ding. That's my guess. Under the influence. Of course it's just a guess. We'll never know. But I'm a great guesser!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 08:56 PM   #1689
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While that’s likely what happened the crown would have to prove that happened. Unless crash investigation could show excessive speed or cameras or credit cards show him drinking at a bar it would be tough to prove.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:11 PM   #1690
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ah yes, summer in Calgary. What is that smell?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:36 PM   #1691
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Edmonton?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 10:13 PM   #1692
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
While that’s likely what happened the crown would have to prove that happened. Unless crash investigation could show excessive speed or cameras or credit cards show him drinking at a bar it would be tough to prove.
He was convicted on dangerous driving before.most likely habitual, but who knows. That should have been taken into more consideration IMO.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:56 AM   #1693
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Okay CP, I have something that grinds my gears but I need to know if it's legit.

The other side of our street in front of our house is someone else's sideyard (they are the first house in a cul-de-sac). As such, there is a long curb area on that side of the street that is essentially unclaimed area. Cars often park there from time to time, mostly visitors to homes along the street. We have a large window at the front of the house looking out to this area.

Now, in the past month or so someone with an ATCO truck has started using that as their permanent parking spot. It's one of those pick-up trucks that don't have the bed in the back, rather it's stacked full of compartments so it's extremely big and ugly (it beeps when it backs up to give a feel for the size). We noticed the guy park it there one day and walk away down the street and around the corner and just recently saw him in his yard that is one street over. So this guy parks on the his big ugly truck on our street, not very close to his home, so he can have a nice open driveway and front yard.

Am I right to be annoyed by this? I understand I don't own any parking in front or around my house and we use our garage so it's not even an issue of taking up space for us. He never parks there longer than 72 hours, so it's not a by-law issue, though he did leave it on the street during street cleaning (it's not like the area in front of his house didn't get clean!)

Please evaluate how much I should continue grinding my gears over this.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:59 AM   #1694
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Okay CP, I have something that grinds my gears but I need to know if it's legit.

The other side of our street in front of our house is someone else's sideyard (they are the first house in a cul-de-sac). As such, there is a long curb area on that side of the street that is essentially unclaimed area. Cars often park there from time to time, mostly visitors to homes along the street. We have a large window at the front of the house looking out to this area.

Now, in the past month or so someone with an ATCO truck has started using that as their permanent parking spot. It's one of those pick-up trucks that don't have the bed in the back, rather it's stacked full of compartments so it's extremely big and ugly (it beeps when it backs up to give a feel for the size). We noticed the guy park it there one day and walk away down the street and around the corner and just recently saw him in his yard that is one street over. So this guy parks on the his big ugly truck on our street, not very close to his home, so he can have a nice open driveway and front yard.

Am I right to be annoyed by this? I understand I don't own any parking in front or around my house and we use our garage so it's not even an issue of taking up space for us. He never parks there longer than 72 hours, so it's not a by-law issue, though he did leave it on the street during street cleaning (it's not like the area in front of his house didn't get clean!)

Please evaluate how much I should continue grinding my gears over this.
You shouldn't be annoyed by it. My house is the type of one across from you with that side yard, and tons of people use it for hard to park vehicles. They will park their trucks there, trailers, etc instead of bringing them into the cul-de-sac. I know what they are doing makes sense, so I can't complain to much, as long as they don't abandon it. It's a bit annoying for me if I want to park outside my garage... because I don't have a spot in the front with the stop sign being there.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:15 AM   #1695
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am annoyed by this large landscaping company train of vehicles that park right by the crosswalk going to a local playground. They’re well behind the mandatory distance from the crosswalk, but because of the height of the trailers, it’s impossible to see if anybody is at the crosswalk waiting.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:21 AM   #1696
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
You shouldn't be annoyed by it. My house is the type of one across from you with that side yard, and tons of people use it for hard to park vehicles. They will park their trucks there, trailers, etc instead of bringing them into the cul-de-sac. I know what they are doing makes sense, so I can't complain to much, as long as they don't abandon it. It's a bit annoying for me if I want to park outside my garage... because I don't have a spot in the front with the stop sign being there.
No, he's allowed to be annoyed but he's also right that there isn't much he can do. It's a solid gear grinder.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 11:26 AM   #1697
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Definitely a reasonable gear grinder. Do you have a couple cars at your house you could park there nicely spaced to block him?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 11:37 AM   #1698
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is an easy one. He works for ATCO. Call about unsafe driving and looking like he was impaired, stumbling after parking. Once he is fired, he won't have a truck to park there.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 11:41 AM   #1699
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
No, he's allowed to be annoyed but he's also right that there isn't much he can do. It's a solid gear grinder.
The pinnacle of personal virtue is witnessing people doing small things that bother you, and yet still understanding the bigger picture and not turning into some meddling busybody b*tch about it. Pretty sure Marcus Aurelius said that.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 11:48 AM   #1700
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
This is an easy one. He works for ATCO. Call about unsafe driving and looking like he was impaired, stumbling after parking. Once he is fired, he won't have a truck to park there.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: