Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #1141
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No thanks to DSP. I'd rather see what we have in the younger players.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #1142
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I"d rather they get overly skilled guys who put up lots of points instead of "grit" guys like DSP. The team needs to score more, not...do whatever he does.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #1143
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, if he's healthy, Versteeg looks like a really good insurance policy.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 06-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #1144
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Even last year his powerplay efficiency was still at the level of Monahan. The Flames could do far worse as a depth option, and they need as many RHS as they can get.

Edit: very true, Toonage, and he was often played on the top line in Carolina as well.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 06-25-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #1145
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Was a Hurricane under Peters as well, so there is that familiarity
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #1146
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Where does he fit 5v5? He’s not very good during 5v5 play, and he’s not a shooter, which leads me to believe his PP role will be filled by better players (Lindholm, free agent signing, whoever).

I just don’t see the fit anymore.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #1147
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Where does he fit 5v5? He’s not very good during 5v5 play, and he’s not a shooter, which leads me to believe his PP role will be filled by better players (Lindholm, free agent signing, whoever).

Is he better than Brouwer? Is he better than Lazar? Personally, I think the answer to both of those is a resounding "yes".

I bring him in on a PTO, see how he skates. There's history with the coach, history with the GM.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #1148
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well yeah people are speculating because he refused to go to the white house, is black, and didn't get qualified. I have to think it's simply coincidence as teams are too aware to carry themselves in this manner you would think.
Agreed. It's far more likely they just don't want to overpay because he had a good playoffs
Old 06-25-2018, 03:08 PM   #1149
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Canucks did not qualify Derrick Pouliot. Intriguing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #1150
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What's wrong with his 5v5 play? He's always been a solid 5v5 player as long as you're not expecting him to play on your top line and grind for Gaudreau/Monahan. There's room on the third line for him.

Last year he played bad, but I imagine his injury had more to do with it. He and Bennett were arguably our best 5v5 players in the 2017 playoffs, too - he competes defensively, he has soft skill, and he's got a solid shooting touch. His only issue 5v5 in 2016-17 was, as with Bennett, that they were dragged down by Brouwer's lack of any usefulness and Chiasson fixed that.

Even if he's not our go-to on the 1st PP, the second unit could always used a skilled RHS. I feel more comfortable with him than Vanek, and I'm not ready to pay out for Perron, JVR, or Neal. That pretty much in my eyes leaves Versteeg and Czarnik, and Czarnik, while I have advocated for him, is pretty unproven. Ideally I'd like us to sign both and roll something like:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
Jankowski-Bennett-Versteeg
Frolik-Shore-Czarnik
Lazar
Brouwer

This contingency plan would still leave room for Czarnik and even Foo and Lazar to step up if Versteeg isn't able to get back to the level of play he is capable of.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 06-25-2018 at 03:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2018, 03:19 PM   #1151
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Is he better than Brouwer? Is he better than Lazar? Personally, I think the answer to both of those is a resounding "yes".

I bring him in on a PTO, see how he skates. There's history with the coach, history with the GM.
He has posted 47.0 and 47.8 CF% during his time as a Flame when the Flames were pretty much all about CF% (thanks Glen).

I would much sooner continue to work on developing Lazar than see Versteeg (or Brouwer) play on a nightly basis. Lazar showed improvement last year once he actually started to get into the line-up consistently. Lazar pushes the pace on the forecheck and can skate - and with the Flames likely moving to a much faster brand of hockey next year, Versteeg (...and Brouwer) just don't fit in my opinion.

Quote:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
Jankowski-Bennett-Versteeg
Frolik-Shore-Czarnik
Lazar
Brouwer
I just don't see how the Flames go into a season with THAT line-up and expect to be better. Bennett and Jankowski, if they play together, need a better player than Versteeg to help them contribute offensively while being strong defensively.

Eatbread on the first line doesn't make sense to me. That looks like a line-up built to fail the moment a single injury occurs.

Last edited by ComixZone; 06-25-2018 at 03:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #1152
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He has posted 47.0 and 47.8 CF% during his time as a Flame when the Flames were pretty much all about CF% (thanks Glen).

I would much sooner continue to work on developing Lazar than see Versteeg (or Brouwer) play on a nightly basis. Lazar showed improvement last year once he actually started to get into the line-up consistently. Lazar pushes the pace on the forecheck and can skate - and with the Flames likely moving to a much faster brand of hockey next year, Versteeg (...and Brouwer) just don't fit in my opinion.
Versteeg is a strong forechecker, and historically has been a strong possession player with the only blip being his ice time as a Flame when Troy Brouwer was his linemate (Versteeg-Bennett-Chiasson were in fact a 56.98% CF% line and no one is confusing Chiasson for a top 9F). He may not be a burner like Lazar but he's an average skater and doesn't suffer from Lazar's Stone Hands Syndrome.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #1153
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Ouch. Now people are speculating that DSP was not qualified because he refused to go to White House.
Caps are still negotiating with DSP

https://twitter.com/CapitalsPR/statu...53193765376000
Old 06-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #1154
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

DSP is nothing special. Good wheels but that's about it. Takes stupid penalties time to time.

Having said that, I do value players that have shown to be effective in the playoffs.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #1155
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1011361158786404354
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #1156
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
DSP is nothing special. Good wheels but that's about it. Takes stupid penalties time to time.

Having said that, I do value players that have shown to be effective in the playoffs.
This sort of separates him from other (recent) playoff overachievers. He did some of his best work in the actual cup final. The Bergenheim's & Beleskey's of the world petered off before they hit that mark. I'm intrigued by a player that chose the toughest games of his career to find the next level. But I do understand the hesitation or the reluctance to give him a look as he'll likely be looking at a decent, but not cap busting, raise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #1157
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know if mentioned yet but Frk is signed with Detroit.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #1158
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Don't know if mentioned yet but Frk is signed with Detroit.
There's a thread for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2018, 03:37 PM   #1159
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah depending on what happens in free agency I wouldn't object to having Versteeg back as a plan b
Old 06-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #1160
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you can sign DSP for a reasonable contract, i think he's a good piece.

talented guy, but inconsistent, needs to play with a better motor...

he's not overly old at 26
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread