Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2024, 03:52 PM   #61
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think as we become less Christian oriented, this is less of an issue. What does, say, a Hindu care about Christmas? If they get stat pay they are probably happy to take the shift. There are loads of our population for which our stat holidays mean nothing.
I agree with this, but to be honest, I kind of like those days when nothing is open and there should be more of them. People don’t need to go to the mall every single day and be constantly buying things. Shopping is not a hobby.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 03:55 PM   #62
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I agree with this, but to be honest, I kind of like those days when nothing is open and there should be more of them. People don’t need to go to the mall every single day and be constantly buying things. Shopping is not a hobby.
I'm the opposite, I hate it when there's nowhere to go that is open but I totally am for giving staff a break when it's possible. Just replace everything with self-checkout and security robots.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 04:40 PM   #63
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No one is asking to shop every single day but every single day someone wants to buy something, a product of modern society. I’m with you on the other thing as I grew up when very little was open Sundays.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 01-05-2024 at 05:09 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 04:48 PM   #64
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that’s the part that I dislike; that our culture is just pure consumerism and “more”. There’s no end to more. People should go do other things, get outside, or spend time with family and friends. Instead they go “shopping” and buy things.

I don’t know, I realize I’m a dinosaur on this issue (far from the first one!), but those days when stores were closed or the hours were always 9-5, people did their buying. On Christmas Day 2 weeks ago people were fine with the stores being closed for a day. It’s not the end of the world.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 04:56 PM   #65
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I think that’s the part that I dislike; that our culture is just pure consumerism and “more”. There’s no end to more. People should go do other things, get outside, or spend time with family and friends. Instead they go “shopping” and buy things.

I don’t know, I realize I’m a dinosaur on this issue (far from the first one!), but those days when stores were closed or the hours were always 9-5, people did their buying. On Christmas Day 2 weeks ago people were fine with the stores being closed for a day. It’s not the end of the world.
But my culture's traditions are to go shopping at T&T in the morning and eat at a restaurant on Christmas day because we never close and we like it that way.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 05:11 PM   #66
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Exactly, if an area is meant to provide services to travellers or customers in a specific area, it is not beneficial to have some of those services unavailable on the busiest days. It also looks poor if some are closed. If you open a store in a mall, you are not allowed to close on Sundays, you have to follow the hours of the rest of the mall, etc.

If Chick Fil A does not want to be open on Sundays in these areas, then they should make room for some other restaurant or service to move in rather than wasting the space.

Yes but that is not what is happening. Virtually every single location of Chic Fil A is known to close Sunday's. Landlord's, mall owners and franchisee's are fully aware of the company's business decision to close on Sunday's. That is their right. As I mentioned above, there is no lack of available food or service options in America. There may be some more rural places and some people who might be disappointed that a location is closed but that is a company's right to make that business decision. It's not the government's or the general public. The general public can vote with their dollars and not offer Chic Fil A any business. Personally I have never eaten there or visited a location.

Although not an accurate comparison, Starbuck's is one of the few very large chain's that are not franchised. Almost all the stores are company owned with them only getting into licensing agreements where it's in their best interest or hard to access locations such as airports, arena's, supermarket's etc. They want a presence's but don't have the ability to open a corporate owned store without the landlord taking a piece of the action. When some landlords try to push Starbucks around, Sbux tells them to go pound sand and or close's the location. It's a business decision. If you have leased space to Starbucks, you know their stand and their position on their stores.

Another business decision that companies like Starbucks are making is an accelerated movement to more of a take out model. Little to no seating and little to no access to washrooms etc. If a rest stop is going to be required to provide "services" would that not also force companies to offer value added services above and beyond what they want?

Having grown up in the restaurant, I totally understand how low of a margin business it can be and importance of an around the clock revenue stream. Closing any day of the week or to take family vacations was always a HUGE concern for my family. I also respect the decision of business owners and businesses closing for family and whatever religious purposes they may or may not have.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:21 PM   #67
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ It’s Chick-Fil—A’s right to open a location anywhere that they want?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 01:07 AM   #68
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
^^ It’s Chick-Fil—A’s right to open a location anywhere that they want?

Absolutely not actually. But forcing their locations and their workers to actually open on Sunday's is actually a thing that has been tried before and is now being tried again.

Hypothetically speaking, if a commercial development looking for tenants decided they did not want to lease to a Chic Fil A franchisee, than I think that is totally fine. A landlord looking for tenants who may want to have restaurants and tenants open 7 days a week, that is 100% ok and a business decision.

A landlord, general public and politician looking at FORCING an existing location into being open 7 days a week is a different thing.

The legislation in NY state is specifically referring to Chic Fil A by name with a quote from the sponsoring member “Look, if you want to eat fried chicken while traveling over the holidays, then Chick-fil-A should be open on Sundays,” Simone said.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/entertain...-bill/4972418/

If we take that quote at face value and apply it to other businesses, we get into a very slippery slope. Are we going to start forcing Muslim and Jewish businesses into serving pork products, alcohol and mixing meat/dairy? Should all businesses owned by Hindu's be legislated to provide beef products despite their objections?

I am old fashioned despite being in my 30's. If your in business, then conduct business and nevermind the BS. If you want your business to do something that has virtually no harm to someone else, then that is totally fine. If a business does not want your hard earned dollars because of (insert reason) then take your hard earned dollars some place where it's wanted.

We don't need the government policing chicken sandwiches, basic operating hours, specific protein choices and every aspect of everybody's lives. This isn't a life and death situation. This is one of the largest states by population and a very densely populated state.

As I said before, when the people sponsoring the bill are telling us they want to mandate business decisions based on protein choices, then it becomes strangely dangerous all around.
Old 01-06-2024, 01:55 AM   #69
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Nobody is forcing Chick-fil-a to be open on Sundays. Please for the love of god just learn one thing about the bill.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 02:41 AM   #70
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should open a restaurant in 'Hobby Lobby' like McDonalds has in Wal-Marts.

Then they could call it 'Bigots R Us' and just save people time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 02:55 AM   #71
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Nobody is forcing Chick-fil-a to be open on Sundays. Please for the love of god just learn one thing about the bill.

I may be wrong but there appears to be something strange about the way this bill is written. It's either trying to address an issue that does not exist, is trying to grab headlines, which appears to have done. It may be also getting ahead of any potential problems when a key contract along a vital piece of highway comes up for renewal in 30 years (33 year deal signed in 21).

Perhaps we are both missing something or this bill is trying to ensure that all food business are open 7 days a week, for no reason other than to exclude Chic Fil A as a potential tenant in the future . That's fine but also strange.

The current contract requires Applegreen “to have at least one hot and cold food option available 24 hours a day at all locations,”

https://www.verifythis.com/article/n...5-8c39785b7a76

So it sounds like this bill would require multiple locations to be open? If the current contract is meeting the requirements, what is with this nothing burger, sorry chicken sandwich, of a bill? To ensure that in 30 years someone will have a place to eat on a Sunday along one of the busiest roads in America, of which is already happening?

Perhaps why all media outlets are reporting this incorrectly? Key words being Chic Fil A COULD BE forced.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/entertain...-bill/4972418/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chick-f...new-york-bill/

https://abc7chicago.com/rest-stop-re...ours/14206707/

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/28/busin...top/index.html

https://fortune.com/2023/12/22/new-y...close-sundays/
Old 01-06-2024, 07:20 AM   #72
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Read more than the headline.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:52 PM   #73
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curves, there are only like 7 CFAs that operate in these spaces and they are being grandfathered in. But why aren’t you glossing over or not comprehending the problem it would pose if they allowed stores to close at these spots? If CFA has a problem with it, they can put up a standalone store nearby.
Old 01-06-2024, 07:54 PM   #74
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the type of place that's being talked about: https://maps.app.goo.gl/aP4XZpuFEgdrB4xc8

This one is a small rest stop on the side of the I-90 between Rochester and Syracuse. It's a place where people can pull in, take a break, fill up their tank, and grab something to eat before getting back on the highway.

This one has a Shake Shack, Starbucks, Chick-fil-A, and an Auntie Anne's as well as a small grocery/convenience store. That's basically 2 places where you can get a real meal (I'm the type of person who'd get a Frappuccino and 3 hot pretzels for the road and call it a meal, but that's not for everyone).

Allowing one of them to close on 1 of the 2 busiest travel days of the week, makes it a worse experience for everyone.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for the state to make it a condition of the contract to operate in these facilities to be open 7 days a week. If a business owner doesn't want to do that, they shouldn't bid on the contract. No one would be stopping them from opening a stand-alone restaurant a mile down the road and setting their own hours.
Old 01-06-2024, 11:39 PM   #75
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Curves, there are only like 7 CFAs that operate in these spaces and they are being grandfathered in. But why aren’t you glossing over or not comprehending the problem it would pose if they allowed stores to close at these spots? If CFA has a problem with it, they can put up a standalone store nearby.

As I am reading the contract the state has with the vendor, it's a requirement for each location to have 1 hot and cold food option available 24/7. That seems perfectly reasonable and is getting met by the manager of the facilities. They have a 30+ year contract on a key piece of road.

The bill wants to have this law applied to new contacts, but in reality, wouldn't a similar requirement for 1 hot and cold food vendor available 24/7 apply?

If we were talking about a rural rest stop, with a lack of food options available for a long distance and the choice was CFA or another food vendor who was open Sunday's, then I am the first to admit that putting a CFA in that location isn't the ideal tenant. If I was a landlord and had the option to lease to Mcdonalds or CFA on that one basis at that one location, I would choose McDonalds. Closing one day a week isn't ideal but not really a concern as well.

Hypothetically speaking, if CFA decided to break their tradition and open 7 days a week for say 1 hour on a Sunday, has anything magically improved? Is there a lack of food options in NY state on some of the busiest roads in America? This isn't the rural prairies or northern Canada. Your literally seeing a mountain of food and fuel options all over the place on and off the highway.

CFA is of course unique in the sense they don't operate in the 24/7 culture and mindset. Everybody else is all about maximum revenue and squeezing every Nickle, that's fine.

Rather than actually solving specific issues in NY state, of which there are mountains of, some guy comes up with this to go after.

Let's apply this logic hypothetically speaking to Alberta rest stops. Premier Smith says that all rest stop locations in Alberta must have food and fuel available 7 days a week. The contact is coming up for renewal and Wormius Family Restaurant in a small town, rural Alberta, closes on Monday's. The closure has absolutely nothing to do with Christ, religion, a day off to rest with the family etc. You close on Monday's cause it isn't as busy as Sunday's and on Monday's you need to go to the big city to do shopping for the week. Costco, Wholesale, Walmart etc. All of a sudden YOUR business is the problem? Albertans need to be able to get some food on a busy travel day?

As you said, there are 7 CFA's that may be affected in the future on this stretch of road. There is just under 400 (398) locations of KFC and Popeyes in NY State.

Is this really about getting some fast food chicken on a Sunday for travelers? It's low grade food, not emergency fuel. I have never been to their locations and have traveled all over America. Or is this about proving a point to a controversial food chain that may play really well, with a trendy Chelsea, Manhattan crowd?

There isn't some outcry "Will somebody just think of the Sunday traveling chicken lovers!"
Old 01-07-2024, 12:53 AM   #76
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Chick Fil A

Wormius’ Family Restaurant would have multiple employees so Wormius could run his errands whenever he wants. How do you think other restaurants operate when they’re open 7 days a week?

Do you think a CFA has only one employee and you’re depriving them of a day off if a location is open 7 days a week? Or that the entire staff goes out to Costco and there is no one left behind to run the restaurant?

1) CFA can operate however it likes, based on the laws of the jurisdiction it operates in.

2) No one is obliged to provide them a lease to operate anywhere it wants.

I don’t know what to say about the rest of your post, but maybe just eat at a CFA already so you can stop bringing up how you’ve never eaten there.

Last edited by Wormius; 01-07-2024 at 12:59 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2024, 02:05 AM   #77
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wormius’ Family Restaurant would have multiple employees so Wormius could run his errands whenever he wants. How do you think other restaurants operate when they’re open 7 days a week?

Do you think a CFA has only one employee and you’re depriving them of a day off if a location is open 7 days a week? Or that the entire staff goes out to Costco and there is no one left behind to run the restaurant?

1) CFA can operate however it likes, based on the laws of the jurisdiction it operates in.

2) No one is obliged to provide them a lease to operate anywhere it wants.

I don’t know what to say about the rest of your post, but maybe just eat at a CFA already so you can stop bringing up how you’ve never eaten there.
The only thing I can say about this, and this is very old information, is that some places make being open 'Compulsory' pursuant to a penalty.

I recall working for a restaurant as a kid and we had a satellite location in Southcentre and they were going to be closed on New Years' Day, but the Mall was going to be open.

So if the location was closed the business would be levied with a penalty from the Mall management company.

Now this was a very select case, but if the Mall was open 7 days a week and you closed a location every Sunday those penalties would start to add up.

I dont know if you can negotiate that up-front within the terms of your Lease or not, but thats just what happened to us.

In my case I told my Boss to eat it. Theres nothing we could do. He should have known better and in any case there was no time to prep food and they were planning on being closed so there was no food ordered to prep. It wasnt gonna happen.

Then I went back to bed.

"Please 17-year old, nearly minimum wage Locke...save my ass from my own stupidity!"

- Oh wait. You're serious. Let me laugh even harder.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-07-2024, 02:09 AM   #78
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
But my culture's traditions are to go shopping at T&T in the morning and eat at a restaurant on Christmas day because we never close and we like it that way.

I always love how they have all of a single parking stall.

God only knows where the Bowling Alley is.

And in all fairness...those waiters were really good sports about the entire ordeal.

Old 01-07-2024, 08:24 AM   #79
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
This.

Nobody who has actually eaten Chick-fil-a would put 10,000 words into arguing about an issue related to CFA that they have literally zero applicable understanding of for the principle alone. This could all have been avoided if curves’ just ate the damn chicken sandwich.
Old 01-07-2024, 08:34 AM   #80
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Until this thread came along I thought Chick-Fil-A was overrated popcorn from Costco, but that’s Boom Chicka Pop. I can’t speak to their employee regulations
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote