Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #121
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post
I'll be the one charting some out of the way star system and selling you the jump map so you can secure your criminal base of operations in a lawless system.
I've got my 325A for combat, I plan to trick out my Freelancer for long range exploration. Hopefully I can find some rock in the middle of nowhere to claim and build Fort Kickass
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #122
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

300 Series Variants from Origin Jumpworks.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #123
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I like the 325a quite a bit. Too bad I bought a Hornet but I'm guessing the Hornet will be superior despite it's looks.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #124
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I like the 325a quite a bit. Too bad I bought a Hornet but I'm guessing the Hornet will be superior despite it's looks.
I'm actually strongly considering melting my 325a down to buy a Hornet instead. I already have a Freelancer for the long range exploration, so makes sense to buy a pure combat focused ship to compliment it. I'm just waiting to see what else we'll see for pledge ships down the road
Old 07-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #125
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beware of Veteran/Original Backer meltdown scammers.

Baragoon in particular. Not only is he a huge racist bigoted misogynist ####lord, but he also has screwed a few people over for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #126
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'm actually strongly considering melting my 325a down to buy a Hornet instead. I already have a Freelancer for the long range exploration, so makes sense to buy a pure combat focused ship to compliment it. I'm just waiting to see what else we'll see for pledge ships down the road
I figure the 300i series is a beginner type ship anyway and probably easily acquired in the game and will eventually lapse into losing it's usefulness for a player. Therefore, for a ship with lifetime insurance (which is the only reason to buy with real money as you can get these ships in game), I decided to avoid them and go for the higher end combat ship.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #127
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I figure the 300i series is a beginner type ship anyway and probably easily acquired in the game and will eventually lapse into losing it's usefulness for a player. Therefore, for a ship with lifetime insurance (which is the only reason to buy with real money as you can get these ships in game), I decided to avoid them and go for the higher end combat ship.
300i will still be useful as an exploration ship I presume, esp with LTI.

That said, I'm still very happy I have a Constellation and a Cutlass.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #128
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I'm debating purchasing a Constellation before the LTI cutoff in November.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #129
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

you guys sound like you actively have things in this game already. Is this from kickstarter packages?
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #130
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
you guys sound like you actively have things in this game already. Is this from kickstarter packages?
If you pledge/donate/pay (however you look at it) a certain amount you reserve a Life Time Insured version of certain ships. The ships range from $40-$2,300. In August, the first of many pre-game games will be out. The August one will allow you to walk around your in-game hangar and check out your ships.

Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 03:05 AM   #131
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

So these ships we are buying, when the game is released, will they no longer be available to purchase?

I mean how will the game work, internal economy to purchase ships, limited time ships, limited edition ships...

I just worry you buy a constellation for over $200 USD to find out a few months into the game that you can get it for the equivalent of $10 USD.. Maybe its the paranoid Diablo 3 player in me, but not sure what to do with my first purchases.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #132
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
So these ships we are buying, when the game is released, will they no longer be available to purchase?

I mean how will the game work, internal economy to purchase ships, limited time ships, limited edition ships...

I just worry you buy a constellation for over $200 USD to find out a few months into the game that you can get it for the equivalent of $10 USD.. Maybe its the paranoid Diablo 3 player in me, but not sure what to do with my first purchases.
They'll be able to purchase in game, but likely not with cash.

And if they were purchasable with cash (still not 100% on how the game money <-> real world money thing will work), they wouldn't have LTI.

LTI is a pre-buy only thing.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #133
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

Anything you can buy now will be available to buy in-game with the game's currency (credits). You will be able to buy credits with real money, but only a certain amount per month (this is for game balance, so you don't get Mr. Moneybags and his friends all rolling out in Iridis Corvettes right from the start)

Basically the big incentive to buy ships up until a couple weeks ago was Lifetime Insurance. Anyone that backed the game before LTI was discontinued can still buy ships with LTI until this November, but for a new user any ship they buy will come with standard insurance (6 months, then you pay with in-game credits to renew it). IMO, if you haven't backed the game yet but want to, I would buy in with the basic package which is $35. This gets you a slot in the alpha and beta, a copy of the full game, and a starter ship. There is rumored to be more LTI-driven sales in the future once the game gets nearer to completion, so I would wait until then to upgrade your package to the ship you really want.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #134
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

So buy a simple package now and upgrade later? Like the bounty hunter one?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #135
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
So buy a simple package now and upgrade later? Like the bounty hunter one?
If you haven't already bought a package, this is what I would do. There are still more ships that CIG are making that will go on sale before the game is released, and you can bet they'll bring back LTI for those. There's still 2 years to go before release, so other than reserving an alpha/beta slot there's no rush to buy stuff

That said, I did just upgrade my 325a to a Hornet
Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #136
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

lol I do want to guarantee I get into alpha/beta, maybe just buy a smuggler package and then wait to see what comes.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #137
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could always have someone kind with a Veteran/Origin account gift you an LTI package...

Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #138
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If you don't get the LTI and what have to buy a new ship every single time you get blown up?

I can imagine that a lot of newbies will become incredibly frustrated when they get ganked by gangs of veteran players and give up.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #139
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
If you don't get the LTI and what have to buy a new ship every single time you get blown up?

I can imagine that a lot of newbies will become incredibly frustrated when they get ganked by gangs of veteran players and give up.
You can buy insurance, but it costs you in-game money.

And newbies likely won't get out of hi-sec space very easily in their Aurora's and whatnot.

Initially, they will be hired on as freighters to haul for NPC corps, crewmen on NPC/PC vessels, or as Freelancers running errands for corps in loaner ships (which they wouldn't pay for anyway).

Eventually, they can save up for their own ship (which they better buy insurance for!).

Quote:
Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #140
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

In-game insurance is available but will cost you credits. Cargo is not insured via ship insurance (but may be separately available?)

I'm guessing that like most MMOs, it will take you hours and hours (or even days or weeks of work) to be able to work up enough credits to afford one of the larger ships.

You have to ask yourself, do I want to have the game as a second job or should I rather work a real job for a couple of hours to pay real money for a ship. For me, my time is more valuable than money so I don't mind spending a few real dollars to accelerate my progress in the game if that means less grind and provides a game where I can play more at my leisure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post: