Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #261
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
Sorry for the probably dumb questions as I haven't been following this all that closely. People have been playing the Alpha version? Looks good?

Additionally, I think I will purchase the Bounty Hunter Alpha package thing. This gets me the full game (just Alpha/Beta until the full thing is released) as well as a Bounty Hunter ship in the game? What happens if my ship blows up? Am I stuck buying a new ship with real money?
To quote myself from the last page:

Quote:
Vet/original backers, or as I described on the previous page, new backers or people who missed the July 6th cutoff that get a package laundered by a vet/orig backer.

That said, LTI only covers the ships hull, and doesn't give you a new ship immediately after losing one. As well, it doesn't cover weapons, upgrades, ammo, equipment (ie suits), or cargo. All of that will be insurable in-game month to month however, though cargo lost in null sec/0.0 space won't be covered even if insured.
So you can still get a ship laundered to have LTI, you just have to ask an original/vet backer. Ships in-game will be purchasable with in-game money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
At the end of the day, this is why you shouldn't spend hundreds of dollars on an unreleased game. People get all kinds of flak for pre-ordering. These kickstarters and crowdfunded games are even more risky.
Last time I'll address this (too off topic already), but I'm not mad about the money spent, or the time I've invested (which thinking back, has to be a lot more than 300 hours). It's more just how poorly the developers handled game changes and their interactions with the community. It became more and more apparent that they weren't interested in making a game that can be played for years, and instead were interested in keeping the publisher (IGP) and investors happy. I realize they are a business first and foremost, but seeing someone like Chris Roberts and CIG, who have such a passion for their genre and creation process, along with an open and frank relationship with a community that is already overbearing, just shines a very stark light on how badly PGI has handled themselves since around last October.

All in all, I did get my moneys worth, but the disappointment at an opportunity to create something great being squandered just soured my entire experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 09-04-2013 at 11:02 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #262
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
Sorry for the probably dumb questions as I haven't been following this all that closely. People have been playing the Alpha version? Looks good?

Additionally, I think I will purchase the Bounty Hunter Alpha package thing. This gets me the full game (just Alpha/Beta until the full thing is released) as well as a Bounty Hunter ship in the game? What happens if my ship blows up? Am I stuck buying a new ship with real money?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
The alpha isn't out yet - all that's been released is the "hangar module" that lets you walk around your hangar and look at your ship. I believe the dogfight module is expected later this year.

I have the Digital Bounty Hunter package - it includes the Origin 300i ship as well as alpha and beta access. You can get insurance that covers your ship - I think the package still includes 4 month insurance on the hull and you will be able to buy more in game, supposedly fairly cheap. Presumably most ships later in the game will be bought with in-game money, not necessarily real money.
What Ashartus said, except I wanted to expand a bit. You will get the Origin Jumpworks 300i which is a fast, capable ship with good dogfighting capability. It can be adapted for most roles.

Here is the commercial for the 300i:

Here is the brochure for the Origin Jumpworks 300 series.

After the persistent universe launches (beta end of 2014), you will be able to purchase everything (ships, weapons, all ship systems, etc) with in-game currency. You will not be able to wholly buy ships with real money. You will be able to buy some credits with real money, which can help towards buying a ship in-game but there will be strict limits on this.

In terms of insurance, Ashartus is correct. You will get 4 months of hull insurance in the Digital Bounty Hunter package, after 4 months you will need to buy hull insurance for a small amount of UEC. Hull insurance only insures the ship itself. You will also be able to buy insurance on your components and cargo in-game for a small amount of UEC.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #263
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Last time I'll address this (too off topic already), but I'm not mad about the money spent, or the time I've invested (which thinking back, has to be a lot more than 300 hours). It's more just how poorly the developers handled game changes and their interactions with the community. It became more and more apparent that they weren't interested in making a game that can be played for years, and instead were interested in keeping the publisher (IGP) and investors happy. I realize they are a business first and foremost, but seeing someone like Chris Roberts and CIG, who have such a passion for their genre and creation process, along with an open and frank relationship with a community that is already overbearing, just shines a very stark light on how badly PGI has handled themselves since around last October.

All in all, I did get my moneys worth, but the disappointment at an opportunity to create something great being squandered just soured my entire experience.
Fair enough and I agree. I've gotten my money's worth out of the game but that's it. I hope Star Citizen turns out great because I've been dieing for a space combat game.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #264
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I hope Star Citizen turns out great because I've been dieing for a space combat game.
I think this is something we can all agree on!

Quote:
Old 09-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #265
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
it's looking more like CW will be "gain tickets for your faction in the region of space by playing DeathMatch (assault)"
Yeah, just like the World of Tanks Clan Wars garbage. That would be disappointing with the rich history of the universe.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #266
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

A video I helped make for www.TheMittani.com just got put up, shows off the exteriors and interiors of the ships currently in the hangar module. I did the 300i, Freelancer and Cutlass model clips.

Quote:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #267
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Didn't see this posted here but this is awesome. Someone loaded up the hanger assets into the Crysis Engine Sandbox Editor and seeming some of these ships in "bright" light is amazing.

Thread is here:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustrie...dbox-editor/p1

Some choice pictures:
Spoiler!

Last edited by Finner; 09-04-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #268
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Might want to spoiler those images, even on a 24" monitor they're huge
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #269
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Star Citizen is $122k from $18 million. Likely to hit that mark sometime tomorrow, only 6 days after hitting $17 million.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #270
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

By my estimate, at this rate they will reach $37.5 million by the end of the year. $98 million by the end of 2014!
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #271
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post
By my estimate, at this rate they will reach $37.5 million by the end of the year. $98 million by the end of 2014!
Can you post how you calculated this? I'm really curious.

(I hope this wasn't supposed to be a green text post... I just woke up from a nap and I'm all groggy... I'm trusting you starseed.)

Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #272
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

With these stretch goals, do you get every unlockable that happens after your pledged time period?

Like will one-time initial backers get every unlockable as they unlock?
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #273
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
With these stretch goals, do you get every unlockable that happens after your pledged time period?

Like will one-time initial backers get every unlockable as they unlock?
Yes.

Sometimes, it also indicates. For example... this upcoming one will be for everyone who pledges before the game is officially released.

Many of them, however, are as you say.

I backed in December and I have all sorts of cool stuff in my hangar on the site.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nehkara For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #274
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am just trying to get a better idea of specs and cockpit views now to make a choice on a ship.

Being a crewmember on one of those constellations could be fun sometimes too.

Feel like I've missed out on 18 rounds of bonuses already though.. are the current and upcoming extras very valuable? relative to a non-backer on release
Old 09-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #275
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am just trying to get a better idea of specs and cockpit views now to make a choice on a ship.

Being a crewmember on one of those constellations could be fun sometimes too.

Feel like I've missed out on 18 rounds of bonuses already though.. are the current and upcoming extras very valuable? relative to a non-backer on release
Probably, yeah. I mean... There is a very real chance of this game hitting $40 million+

So if you get in now, you will get 22+ rounds of extra shtuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nehkara For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #276
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

The hornet, cutlass, and 325A all look like good choices to start with...

What is the minimum cash amount to count as a pledger now?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #277
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

$30 Digital Scout package gets you an Aurora and the full game, but no alpha/beta access. The $40 Digital Mercenary package gets you the same but with alpha and beta access
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #278
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/s...ital-mercenary

As a followup to what Hemi-Cuda said, the link above will take you to the Digital Mercenary pack, $40.

The Arbiter pack contains a 325A and all sorts of other goodies, it is $80.

The Digital Colonel contains a Hornet and all sorts of other goodies, it is $125.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #279
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Arbiter pack looks good. Am I good to buy this, then do the gift/regift with a veteran for the LTI?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #280
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well I bought the Bounty Hunter pack yesterday. I've been dying for a good space game since Freelancer 2 so I'm pretty excited.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rd_aaron For This Useful Post: