Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2018, 03:29 PM   #381
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no issues with Bennett getting the odd roughing minor if it’s the result of him making aggressive hits or sticking up for himself/teammates. Those kinds of things can create momentum, especially if the team can successfully kill off the penalty. Like Iggy, it looks like he gets more engaged and plays better when getting involved physically. Give me those penalties all day compared to the offensive zone obstruction/tripping/holding penalties he previously had a reputation for.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #382
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The nice thing about the two players is their contracts are complimentary to each other. I think the Backlund contract will be a poor value contract, but the Lindholm contract will be a great value contract. As a whole, the two balance each other out. It doesn’t change that I think the Flames believed thay were going to be getting a player that be a big game player for them and score those clutch goals when they needed them. You can live with paying a 15-20 goal scorer that much if he is a clutch player and scores those goals at important junctures of the game or season. I think that is what Treliving thought they were getting with Backlund, which he isn’t, but they did get with Lindholm. Like I said, it all works out in the end and for the betterment of the hockey club.
Very much this. Contracts are in part attempts to predict the future, so imperfections are inevitable. Cap hit of a single player is mostly irrelevant, what matters is the whole.

Besides. Speculation that Lindholm could do Backlunds job is purely that, speculation. They are currently playing in two very different roles on this team, and the sample size is all of five games. Lindholm looks good as a scoring winger, doesn't mean he can carry the defensive responsibilities of a two-way center as Backlund.

(For those who believe that +/- comparisons within one team are interesting, Backlund is the team leader with +5, Lindholm is the worst (with Välimäki) with -3.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #383
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the aggression that Bennett is playing with. He needs to do so to be effective. But having said that, he needs to pick his spots when to settle scores. I get that Zadorov took a cheapshot at Bennett and the score needed to be settled. It's a long season and the two teams will meet again. Being down one goal, with about six minutes left in a game that your team is dominating and where momentum is clearly on your side, this is the worst time to go and try to settle that score. The referee was looking for a response and Bennett initiated, putting the Avs on the PP. Not only does that take two minutes away from his team, it puts the opposition on the PP and potentially stems momentum. If the Avs score, that's pretty much the end of the game. Bennett got very lucky that the Avs didn't score and didn't swing momentum in their favor. If the Avs score, everyone is viewing this very differently and likely strapping the goat horns on Bennett for taking another bad penalty. The kid needs to learn to pick his spots. That was the wrong time of the game to settle that score.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #384
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't really realize it at the time but the Flames outshot the Avs 30-4 after Bennett's first big hit. The play had been turning for a couple shifts before it but the game went entirely Calgary's way after that.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #385
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If the Avs score, that's pretty much the end of the game. Bennett got very lucky that the Avs didn't score and didn't swing momentum in their favor. If the Avs score, everyone is viewing this very differently and likely strapping the goat horns on Bennett for taking another bad penalty. The kid needs to learn to pick his spots. That was the wrong time of the game to settle that score.
Precisely, I got labeled a troll three times last night for suggesting Sam may even have gotten benched for being so undisciplined in that instance. (No hard feelings) This could have easily been the worst game of the year instead of the best
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #386
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I just re-watched Bennett score his first goal, and still found myself stunned that it did not get recalled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #387
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Precisely, I got labeled a troll three times last night for suggesting Sam may even have gotten benched for being so undisciplined in that instance. (No hard feelings) This could have easily been the worst game of the year instead of the best

No, you got labeled a troll because of remarks like:

Quote:
Bennett blew it!
Quote:
What an undisciplined play by Bennett, selfish.
Quote:
It looked like a late hit from Sam to me.
Don’t try and play the victim card now.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #388
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
I didn't really realize it at the time but the Flames outshot the Avs 30-4 after Bennett's first big hit. The play had been turning for a couple shifts before it but the game went entirely Calgary's way after that.
On the road and against one of the best home-teams in the NHL who came into this game firing on all cylinders.

This was a very impressive win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #389
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
On the road and against one of the best home-teams in the NHL who came into this game firing on all cylinders.

This was a very impressive win.

This. Pretty hard to dominate a home team for as long a stretch as the Flames did. If this happened to Flames on Saddledone ice we’d be totally pissed.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #390
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

All I have to say is that it’s nice to have a coach who doesn’t keep hammering a square peg into a round hole. The mentality to change things up mid game is refreshing.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rhino For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #391
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
The anti Brodie analysis is so dumb. Just no awareness of what is actually happening on the ice.
Or, people might have different opinions on players and their game. Imagine that?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #392
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Or, people might have different opinions on players and their game. Imagine that?
Yep. And some people’s opinions are more grounded in reality than other people’s. That’s basically what this board is about. Arguing for your view of the Flames, Flames players, hockey, etc.

Count me in with the group that thinks Brodie is rebounding nicely this year and that the haters are well off the mark.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 10:26 PM   #393
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a Patton quote that went something along the lines of 10 attaboys get erased by one oh ####e. Bottom line every dman will get beat, loses an assignment or has a gaff. It happens. It is responding to it and I think as a whole Brodie has been a much better player this year. Season is still very young, but I think things are going pretty well. There is definitely more good than bad, but the reality is people just dwell on the bad.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:54 PM   #394
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
There was a Patton quote that went something along the lines of 10 attaboys get erased by one oh ####e. Bottom line every dman will get beat, loses an assignment or has a gaff. It happens. It is responding to it and I think as a whole Brodie has been a much better player this year. Season is still very young, but I think things are going pretty well. There is definitely more good than bad, but the reality is people just dwell on the bad.
I am still on the fence with Brodie and think being paired with Giordano covers up a lot.

But he showed some toughness in Denver overcoming an absolutely nightmare start and playing really well by the end. Now gaffes like that every night will cripple this team but hoping Peters is helping him gain some confidence so that happens less often.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:05 AM   #395
TheMagicMan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I watched Johnny Hockey's game winner and at first, I thought he was recovering and regaining his balance upon entering the Av's blue line. Upon a dozen views later, it appears that he was either pointing to the net with his left hand in one motion or pointing twice with his left hand towards the goal, signalling that he will score (based on all 3 CBC camera angles). Do we have two pre celebrations on the same play by Johnny and Ritter?

I don't know how to do GIF based on video, but have a look as I pretty sure that he was a signalling he will score vs trying to regain balance 4 strides into the zone. Or am I'm imagining things?
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:11 AM   #396
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
I watched Johnny Hockey's game winner and at first, I thought he was recovering and regaining his balance upon entering the Av's blue line. Upon a dozen views later, it appears that he was either pointing to the net with his left hand in one motion or pointing twice with his left hand towards the goal, signalling that he will score (based on all 3 CBC camera angles). Do we have two pre celebrations on the same play by Johnny and Ritter?

I don't know how to do GIF based on video, but have a look as I pretty sure that he was a signalling he will score vs trying to regain balance 4 strides into the zone. Or am I'm imagining things?

It does kind of look like that from most angles, however the 2nd angle (49 second mark) makes me think that's not the case at all.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:14 AM   #397
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post

Looked like a fist pump to me. Gaudreau seems a lot more confident shooting and taking the puck to the net this year instead of always passing, and his teammates are feeling it, too. Having said that, the scoresheet is still showing more assists than goals for Gaudreau at this point, but if he keeps up the confident attempts, more goals should also come.

I also wonder whether the sight of Rittich jumping for joy at the other end may have distracted Varlamov a bit. I know his eyes would have been on the puck, but goalies also pay attention to what is going on in their peripheral vision so they can pick up potential targets for passes.

Last edited by Macindoc; 10-15-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:20 AM   #398
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I love the aggression that Bennett is playing with. He needs to do so to be effective. But having said that, he needs to pick his spots when to settle scores. I get that Zadorov took a cheapshot at Bennett and the score needed to be settled. It's a long season and the two teams will meet again. Being down one goal, with about six minutes left in a game that your team is dominating and where momentum is clearly on your side, this is the worst time to go and try to settle that score. The referee was looking for a response and Bennett initiated, putting the Avs on the PP. Not only does that take two minutes away from his team, it puts the opposition on the PP and potentially stems momentum. If the Avs score, that's pretty much the end of the game. Bennett got very lucky that the Avs didn't score and didn't swing momentum in their favor. If the Avs score, everyone is viewing this very differently and likely strapping the goat horns on Bennett for taking another bad penalty. The kid needs to learn to pick his spots. That was the wrong time of the game to settle that score.
This is easy to say, sitting at your computer. But hockey is played with emotion. And scores aren't 'settled' next January. Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself and your team, regardless of the score. Bennett was leading the team physically and emotionally. And he did the right thing. There is no way that the Flames should have been short-handed from that sequence. And yet, even though they were, they still came back and won the game. Why? Because of his leadership and giving-a-####.

Bennett was the inspiration last night. The shot totals after his hit confirm that. Those of you that want to criticize this play just aren't getting it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:34 AM   #399
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bennett isn't a perfect player. But he was the most important player last night.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 02:54 AM   #400
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Gio-Brodie is a top three defense pair in the world. Fullstop. Only other two on the same tier are Vlasic-Karlsson and Ekholm-Subban. Quote me on it.
I'd put Klingberg-Lindell ahead of both those pairs, I'm always surprised what the numbers show for them but other than that I agree.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote