Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #321
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I’m giving Bennet a free pass. I liked him on a line with Neal. Had the makings of a line the opposing team hates to play against.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #322
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are a reactionary poster stay out of the GT thread, it’s too easy to make yourself look dumb with over critical posts and over zealous remarks. I’ve stopped commenting in the GT thread because I know I’m one of those posters and it usually pisses people off.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #323
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Strange comment. Lindholm has 1st line upside and Backlund has never had that. The Flames when they signed Backlund to his extension knew exactly what they had in Backlund. An excellent two-way centre with somewhat limited offensive upside. Not sure why people think Backlund’s contract means they expected something out of him that he’s not. He went for market value in a league where strong two way centres are worth a lot of money.
You sign a guy to a six year $5.3M contract to be a big contributor and chip in offensively. The nice thing about the two players is their contracts are complimentary to each other. I think the Backlund contract will be a poor value contract, but the Lindholm contract will be a great value contract. As a whole, the two balance each other out. It doesn’t change that I think the Flames believed thay were going to be getting a player that be a big game player for them and score those clutch goals when they needed them. You can live with paying a 15-20 goal scorer that much if he is a clutch player and scores those goals at important junctures of the game or season. I think that is what Treliving thought they were getting with Backlund, which he isn’t, but they did get with Lindholm. Like I said, it all works out in the end and for the betterment of the hockey club.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #324
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Such a great hit
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #325
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Well IMO that hit is more suspension worthy than the Matheson on Petterson rubout. Bennett makes clear contact with Compher’s head. Don’t expect a suspension for either though.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #326
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
That was Sam Bennett’s best game as a Calgary Flame. Whatever Peters has told him he needs to record it and keep it on a loop for Bennett to listen to before each game. Except for the Zadorov incident in the third, that was a perfect game for Mr. Bennett. Controlled aggression and a blend of skill. For the first time in a long time Bennett effectively used his line mates and didn’t try to beat the whole team by himself. Just an outstanding performance.
It appeared Sam was benched after that four minute penalty, Bennett momentarily lost his cool. I thought that may have been the turning point in the game, had the Av's scored and went up 3-1 in the last half of the third period.

Why was Tkachuk in the box serving that penalty for Bennett?
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #327
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
It appeared Sam was benched after that four minute penalty, Bennett momentarily lost his cool. I thought that may have been the turning point in the game, had the Av's scored and went up 3-1 in the last half of the third period.

Why was Tkachuk in the box serving that penalty for Bennett?
It was a double minor, I think the team can still opt to serve both penalties at once or do back-to-back.

Tkachuk has offered himself up to serve those penalties because he doesn't PK.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #328
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Well IMO that hit is more suspension worthy than the Matheson on Petterson rubout. Bennett makes clear contact with Compher’s head. Don’t expect a suspension for either though.
But Bennett’s hit is almost a perfect hockey hit. Missed it by that much.

Lines him up, doesn’t come in too fast, hits him square. When he springs up at the end I think there might be some head contact. It wasn’t predatory or dirty. But I understand a penalty/fine/suspension if you hit a guy in the head, even by accident.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #329
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What an awesome game. Totally dominant for periods 2 and 3.

Thoroughly enjoyed Bennett - Backlund - Neal
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #330
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Love it. Bennett doesn't hit people to knock them off the puck, he hits people to knock them into next week. He absolutely unloads on people!

That hit was the momentum changer. The Flames completely dominated from that moment on.

Oh, and as for the Zadorov incident, I was all for it. This is a tough game, and you have to stand up for yourself and your team-mates. Occasionally, that means taking a penalty. However, let's be honest, it was a pretty bad call giving him the extra 2.

Bennett was a beast last night.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #331
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Strongly disagree. Bennett's hit was completely clean. The rule is 'primary' contact to the head. If that hit is illegal, then just ban hitting already, because that was one of the best hits I have seen in a long time.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #332
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Strange comment. Lindholm has 1st line upside and Backlund has never had that. The Flames when they signed Backlund to his extension knew exactly what they had in Backlund. An excellent two-way centre with somewhat limited offensive upside. Not sure why people think Backlund’s contract means they expected something out of him that he’s not. He went for market value in a league where strong two way centres are worth a lot of money.
Bang on. Backlund was market value. Lindholm was under market value - typically what you'd get with an RFA who signs long term with growth potential.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #333
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
You sign a guy to a six year $5.3M contract to be a big contributor and chip in offensively. The nice thing about the two players is their contracts are complimentary to each other. I think the Backlund contract will be a poor value contract, but the Lindholm contract will be a great value contract. As a whole, the two balance each other out. It doesn’t change that I think the Flames believed thay were going to be getting a player that be a big game player for them and score those clutch goals when they needed them. You can live with paying a 15-20 goal scorer that much if he is a clutch player and scores those goals at important junctures of the game or season. I think that is what Treliving thought they were getting with Backlund, which he isn’t, but they did get with Lindholm. Like I said, it all works out in the end and for the betterment of the hockey club.
Backlund was a known quantity. Clearly your expectations of him changed when he signed his big deal but that’s a you issue, has nothing to do with the Flames, Treliving or Backlund. Backlund as an elite 3rd line centre or good 2nd line centre is worth 5+ million on the open market. It did not mean he’s suddenly going to explode offensively or suddenly be more clutch. He was signed to a market value UFA deal because he plays one of the most important positions in the game. I guess you underrate how much players like Backlund are worth as UFAs or something? Bozak signed for a similar amount.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #334
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
If you say his name three times, he appears behind you and offers to gel your hair.
Chiarelli Said his name 3 times and he appeared behind the oilers bench
Old 10-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #335
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think that type of criticism is fair to Backlund though and I don't really understand the backhanded dig at him. He is reliable and consistent, and he is one of the heart and soul players on this team. He has stretches each season where he is dominant and at times the best player on the team. He has also scored his fair share of clutch goals, most notably the OT goal against the Ducks in the playoffs. I'm pretty confident that Treliving is happy with the return of investment in Backlund, both right now and for years to come.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #336
Yobbo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
If you have a problem with me PM me?
I'm making a generalization. I don't condone people being belittled online. An argument is one thing, but being outright rude and insulting to me is ignorant and weak.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yobbo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #337
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
I disagree Brodie was not ready to start the game he had a brain fart. Not the first time he's done that.
If you're going to disagree at least deal with what he said.

Monahan turnover
Rittich terrible rebound
Brodie lost his man

Three guys made mistakes and it's a goal.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #338
simonarea
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
Unlucky for Brodie at the start of the game, he just didn't seem ready to go. I think he more than made up for it the rest of the game, he played well and like others mentioned stripped the puck in OT to get Monahan the puck. Great plays all around, I am loving the Brodie of 2018/19 so far.

Valimaki looks poised and strong out there for a rookie on d. We have a future top pairing guy with him, his future is so bright. He brings it all. I hope he finds a way to bring some toughness too as I am sure he will still fill out over the next few years. I liked what I saw tonight, nothing too flashy or cringe worthy.

Bennett was flying. I loved the line of Bennett - Backs - Neal. Please keep that line rolling. I think Peters kind of had Lindholm rolling on whatever line he needed him on to give them some energy.

Does anyone have video of the hits Bennett threw last night? I missed the one that people have mentioned that swung the game in our favour. I checked the highlights on nhl.com and didn't see any hits, argh.

Lines I loved from that game and want to see more of.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennett - Backs - Neal
Dube - Lindholm - Czarnik
Jankowski - Ryan - Hathaway

When Fro comes back in, we can see how it works on that 4th line again, but I then I would put Janko at centre and Ryan on the RW.

Bennett hits? Does anyone have video? I would love to see them!
We can do without Brodie. Yes he does above average at times but his biggest downfall is that he falls asleep on the ice often. He's definitely not a first paring type.

Bennett threw couple of big hits last night. It was so refreshing to see Flames forward finishing checks (thanks to Bennett and Hathaway)

Our 4th line played awesome as well, winning battles down low and cycling the puck, etc
simonarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #339
Yobbo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know it's only a few games into the season, but this team has a swagger that they haven't had in a really long time. Balanced lines, and a coach that actually coaches the game effectively has this team looking like a winner. It's a good time to be a Flames fan. B-)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #340
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

-> Be TJ Brodie
--> Go four games before you even allow a 5 on 5 goal against, while playing against top lines on a nightly basis
---> Be on pace for 66 pts, leading your team's Dmen and without the benefit of gimme power play assists, and with some of the best underlyings in the NHL
----> "expendable" / "not first pairing type"

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote