Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 07-29-2019, 07:14 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon60 Tampa signs Vasilevskiy to extension starting in 2020 (8 yrs, $9.5 mil AAV)

Dan Milstein-Hockey @HockeyAgent1
Gold Star Hockey client Andrei Vasilevskiy has signed an 8-year extension with the Tampa Bay Lightning. He would like to thank great fans, ownership and management for making Tampa such a great place play and live for him and his family. #WeAreGoldStar!

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
This will be a $9.5M AAV, with almost $45M in bonuses
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:16 AM   #2
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow. higher than I would have imagined. guess that's the new normal for a star goaltender.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

wonder how things are going between the bolts and their other young star
Old 07-29-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

$42 million on six players in 2020-21, plus whatever Brayden Point will get. That's going to be one top-heavy team.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
$42 million on six players in 2020-21, plus whatever Brayden Point will get. That's going to be one top-heavy team.
Good.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:02 AM   #6
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yikes

Great goalie but that seems like a big commitment for someone who has only been a starter for 3 season and in those 3 seasons has only averaged 56 games.

Fresh for those "long" playoff runs I suppose...
The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Hendog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 08:08 AM   #7
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

He wasn't even a RFA yet.

But I'd rather commit 8 years to a 25 year old goalie than signing Bobo like Florida did.

They are certainly getting him for his prime years.

If the Bolts waited, they would always need to sign him to an 8 year contract, and the AAV would only increase as the years went by.

This way, they start years 8 years sooner and get him for more prime years guaranteed.

If he was a RFA next year, the number wouldn't be less, based on what other RFA"s are asking for. And perhaps he might have only wanted to sign for the years to take him to UFA.

Looks like a great signing, notwithstanding the large commitment.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #8
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Tampa signs Vasilevskiy to extension starting in 2020 (8 yrs, $9.5 mil AAV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
Yikes

Great goalie but that seems like a big commitment for someone who has only been a starter for 3 season and in those 3 seasons has only averaged 56 games.

Fresh for those "long" playoff runs I suppose...
This is the new normal for NHL starting goalies: Fewer regular season games in hopes that they will be in better condition for a long playoff run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-29-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 08:17 AM   #9
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have waited. Another good season likely doesn't increase his total amount much. Maybe he gets up to 10M annually for 8 years. But a subpar season or injury could really bring down his cap, or more importantly make Tampa question if they want to commit to him for another 8 years at nearly 10M, not to mention more certainty about the lockout. I guess I just don't see the reward for Tampa offering the contract now instead of waiting.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #10
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I would have waited. Another good season likely doesn't increase his total amount much. Maybe he gets up to 10M annually for 8 years. But a subpar season or injury could really bring down his cap, or more importantly make Tampa question if they want to commit to him for another 8 years at nearly 10M, not to mention more certainty about the lockout. I guess I just don't see the reward for Tampa offering the contract now instead of waiting.
Well one advantage is that they have it done early and now can plan around it.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #11
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty long term rich contract. For people saying that it is better than Bobrovsky, Bobrovsky is a more proven commodity.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:51 AM   #12
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Pretty long term rich contract. For people saying that it is better than Bobrovsky, Bobrovsky is a more proven commodity.
Apples to Oranges. Bobrovski is 30 years old and is a $10AAV until he's 38. He's a great goalie now, but that is an insane contract to have on your books, especially when you're a budget team with an internal cap.

Vasilesky is a top level goalie on a Stanley Cup contender being paid less than Bob through the prime of his career.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:51 AM   #13
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have any of these long, expensive goalie contracts really worked out well for the team?
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:57 AM   #14
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Have any of these long, expensive goalie contracts really worked out well for the team?
I dunno - Price's previous 6 year, $6.5M contract was fairly long and expensive when it was signed. And he was the reason they had any success at all. But that's a hard comparison to The last couple long ones.

Quick, for 7 years at $7M in 2013? He won one more cup but then the team went into the dumper. Was one cup worth it?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:00 AM   #15
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Much prefer this to the Bobrovsky contract. Should be their unquestioned starter for the entire contract and last season was just the tip of the iceberg as he's improved incrementally every season since becoming a pro and hasn't hit his prime yet.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #16
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Apples to Oranges. Bobrovski is 30 years old and is a $10AAV until he's 38. He's a great goalie now, but that is an insane contract to have on your books, especially when you're a budget team with an internal cap.

Vasilesky is a top level goalie on a Stanley Cup contender being paid less than Bob through the prime of his career.
Vasilevksiy played behind one of the best teams to be assembled in a cap era. Domingue had excellent numbers in a backup role as well behind that team. Bobrosvky has been plying his trade in locales like Philadelphia and Columbus. Goalies tend to have longer shelf lives, in any case.

Edit: I'm not saying Vasilevskiy is not a top 5 goalie in the league, but for a team that is built the way the lightning are, paying 9.5 million for a starting goalie in a cap world seems excessive.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:32 AM   #17
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I dunno - Price's previous 6 year, $6.5M contract was fairly long and expensive when it was signed. And he was the reason they had any success at all. But that's a hard comparison to The last couple long ones.

Quick, for 7 years at $7M in 2013? He won one more cup but then the team went into the dumper. Was one cup worth it?
Considering teams win a cup on average once per 30/31 years, yes. Anything that wins you a cup is worth it.

Plus I don't recall Quick becoming a problem either, although that might just be my memory.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 09:32 AM   #18
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Vasilevksiy played behind one of the best teams to be assembled in a cap era. Domingue had excellent numbers in a backup role as well behind that team. Bobrosvky has been plying his trade in locales like Philadelphia and Columbus. Goalies tend to have longer shelf lives, in any case.

Edit: I'm not saying Vasilevskiy is not a top 5 goalie in the league, but for a team that is built the way the lightning are, paying 9.5 million for a starting goalie in a cap world seems excessive.
Well when it comes to goaltending if you have a top 5 goalie you probably want to hold on to him as long as possible because the alternative can be what you have seen in Alberta for most of this decade with the Flames and Oilers taking flyers on european goaltenders and recycling declining veteran goaltenders. I much preferred previous decade with Kipper when goaltending was never a question mark going into the season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #19
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Considering teams win a cup on average once per 30/31 years, yes. Anything that wins you a cup is worth it.

Plus I don't recall Quick becoming a problem either, although that might just be my memory.
He was absolutely not a problem, until last year.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:43 AM   #20
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I dont know if I'd rather have Vasileviskiy at $9.5m or Jankowski and Rittch at a much lower cap hit.

We could have drafted him in 2012 with our original pick but I just dont like the idea of paying a goalie that much.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote