Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #301
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Except for the Zadorov incident in the third, that was a perfect game for Mr. Bennett
I actually liked him going after Zadorov. The penalty was BS, but even with the penalty it shows teams Calgary won't be pushed around. It's exactly the type of thing Bennett needs to be doing.

It's the holding and hooking he gets in the offensive zone that he needs to continue to cut down on.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #302
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Elias Linholm is everything the Flames thought they were getting when they signed Backlund to his extension.
Strange comment. Lindholm has 1st line upside and Backlund has never had that. The Flames when they signed Backlund to his extension knew exactly what they had in Backlund. An excellent two-way centre with somewhat limited offensive upside. Not sure why people think Backlund’s contract means they expected something out of him that he’s not. He went for market value in a league where strong two way centres are worth a lot of money.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #303
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow Frolik was scratched.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #304
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, there were no expectations for Backlund beyond what he already is, not sure why anyone would think that. It was your classic "tough spot" contract extension.

Slightly aging, likely to start regressing soon, too good to let go and replace easily, so you sign him for past performance into non prime years because you kind of have to. It was never going to be a good contract and the GM wasn't saying "Okay, hopefully at these dollars he takes a step up".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:31 AM   #305
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The two contracts that scare me the most on the Flames are Backlund's and Neal's, although it's way too early to anoint anything upon either of them. But when you're paying two guys on the wrong side of thirty a combined 11 million dollars for five years... regressions happen and I think this could go very wrong if either one takes any sort of sustained nosedive any time soon. (This isn't based on anything I've seen so far this season, but it's just a general condemnation of longer-term 30+ contracts.)

But those guys have been nothing if not reliable thus far in their careers, so I'm willing to bank on them as a fan.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #306
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Wow Frolik was scratched.
As he should be, he has been hot garbage this season.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #307
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
As he should be, he has been hot garbage this season.
Seems like Peters keeps his players accountable. What a change from He Who Shall Not Be Named.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #308
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames were just on the wrong side of the momentum very early on, mostly from just some unlucky bounces. After the timeout I thought the Flames just started to build and eventually it was wave after wave which Colorado had no answer and they broke.

I think we have seen it in all the games, Flames coming in waves and even in the losses the other goalie stood on his head at times. Granted playing from behind isn't the best game plan, but knowing you are capable is good.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #309
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Strange comment. Lindholm has 1st line upside and Backlund has never had that. The Flames when they signed Backlund to his extension knew exactly what they had in Backlund. An excellent two-way centre with somewhat limited offensive upside. Not sure why people think Backlund’s contract means they expected something out of him that he’s not. He went for market value in a league where strong two way centres are worth a lot of money.
Backlund was really good in the game as well.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #310
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Seems like Peters keeps his players accountable. What a change from He Who Shall Not Be Named.
He's named every three posts or so, and should be. We lost two years of development due to Glen's inexperienced, bullheaded coaching style.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #311
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you say his name three times, he appears behind you and offers to gel your hair.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #312
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you say his name three times, he appears behind you and offers to gel your hair.
and throws sticks at you if you say no.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #313
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Unlucky for Brodie at the start of the game, he just didn't seem ready to go. I think he more than made up for it the rest of the game, he played well and like others mentioned stripped the puck in OT to get Monahan the puck. Great plays all around, I am loving the Brodie of 2018/19 so far.

Valimaki looks poised and strong out there for a rookie on d. We have a future top pairing guy with him, his future is so bright. He brings it all. I hope he finds a way to bring some toughness too as I am sure he will still fill out over the next few years. I liked what I saw tonight, nothing too flashy or cringe worthy.

Bennett was flying. I loved the line of Bennett - Backs - Neal. Please keep that line rolling. I think Peters kind of had Lindholm rolling on whatever line he needed him on to give them some energy.

Does anyone have video of the hits Bennett threw last night? I missed the one that people have mentioned that swung the game in our favour. I checked the highlights on nhl.com and didn't see any hits, argh.

Lines I loved from that game and want to see more of.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennett - Backs - Neal
Dube - Lindholm - Czarnik
Jankowski - Ryan - Hathaway

When Fro comes back in, we can see how it works on that 4th line again, but I then I would put Janko at centre and Ryan on the RW.

Bennett hits? Does anyone have video? I would love to see them!
Old 10-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #314
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sooo want him to be the Oilers HC.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #315
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Loved Bennett’s game. I hate to pin things on the previous coach but this kid seems like he’s getting back on track with Peters. I remember his rookie year when he scored something close to 20 goals. I remember how unlucky he was not to score more. During that season, the best forward on the ice was consistently one of gaudreau, backlund, or Bennett. He was aggressive and confident every game... just like last night. He’s making moves to the net and using his hits to be aggressive instead of hooks and holds.

Getting Bennett’s development back on track would be an enormous step for this team. Lots of people feel that the flames are one impact forward and a good goalie away from being a contender. If Bennett can become that impact forward, it prevents Treliving from having to spend assets to find one elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #316
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Except for the Zadorov incident in the third, that was a perfect game for Mr. Bennett.
Here's the thing - we can't condemn the team for standing up for themselves and each other if we want a good "team". It's part of it.

In the long-term, it will help our team be better to have guys not taking crap on the ice.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #317
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think Backlund has been great so far this season. He’s so good at holding the puck and making space for himself. When he’s driving down the boards and decides he’s going to drop his shoulder, and get around a defence man, it normally results in a scoring opportunity. He’s a really smart player, and the play he made last night resulting in Bennett’s goal was exactly what the doctor ordered. Two guys driving the net, so a simple shot into the pads anticipating a rebound. You just knew it was going to need to be a goal like that to beat Varlamov.
Bennett looked great with him last night, and if that’s where Bennett plays most of the year, I think he will indeed breakout in a big way
Old 10-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #318
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
Bennett hits? Does anyone have video? I would love to see them!

Link
https://gfycat.com/GrandioseGreedyHerring
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #319
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What an insult to Lord Voldemort!!!!
Lanny'sDaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #320
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Here's the thing - we can't condemn the team for standing up for themselves and each other if we want a good "team". It's part of it.

In the long-term, it will help our team be better to have guys not taking crap on the ice.
Yeah that was the kind of stuff that got a C on Iginla and even Giordano's chest. On-ice leadership.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-14-2018 at 09:54 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote