Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #21
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yeah my level of interest in the tablet has waned steadly since the rumours firs started coming over a year ago.

I'm at the point now where I just want to finally see what it is. As for me buying it, they're going to have to show me what it can do for me first. I just really don't need anything right now.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #22
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I've said it numerous times, but I really hope this is something that could exist in that empty space between the iPhone and the MacBook.
Like an apple USB cable
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #23
User Name
Backup Goalie

Exp:

"The tablet will do half of what everyone thinks, but do it twice as well"

A quote i read (paraphrased) off of some blog. I think he hits the nail on the head.

My bet is it WILL NOT have flash (stupid decision) and run a more iphone like OS (perhaps w/ background apps), as opposed to something closer to snow leopard.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #24
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Somebody pointed out to me that with my wellness account at work re-upping in July I could probably get a macbook pro for what a tablet would cost me. I should print that fact out on a 11x17 sheet of paper and nail it to my office wall before the 27th.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #25
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

New stuffs, iPhone Multitasking?

Quote:
- There will be multi-touch gestures OS-wide. (Would make sense for that as the rumored OS for the iTablet is close if not the same as the iPhone)
- "A few new ways" to run applications in the background -- multitasking.
- Many graphical and UI changes to make navigating through the OS easier and more efficient. We haven't had this broken down, but we can only hope for improved notifications, a refreshed homescreen, etc.
- The update will supposedly be available for only the iPhone 3G and 3GS, but will "put them ahead in the smartphone market because it will make them more like full-fledged computers" more than any other phone to date. Everyone is "really excited."
- The last piece of information is the most vague, but apparently there will be some brand new syncing ability for the contacts and calendar applications.
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...t-the-itablet/
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #26
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish they would make Mobile me syncing free for iCal and Contacts. I don't need the find my phone stuff, or online HD space.

As for the Tablet, and I've mentioned this before, Apple simply would not be entering a new product in the market unless they felt they could make a significant impact. That's not to say it guarantees success, but betting against Apple doesn't usually give you the winning position.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #27
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

After the announcement would be a good time to go short on Apple.
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #28
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
I wish they would make Mobile me syncing free for iCal and Contacts. I don't need the find my phone stuff, or online HD space.

As for the Tablet, and I've mentioned this before, Apple simply would not be entering a new product in the market unless they felt they could make a significant impact. That's not to say it guarantees success, but betting against Apple doesn't usually give you the winning position.
Well I love Apple and own a lot of Apple products, but it is not like they haven't made failed products before. Pippin, Macintosh TV, Newton, I hear some people argue against Apple TV though I like it. I don't know how successful the macbook air has been, another product that people can be hot and cold on.
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #29
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Macintosh TV liked required so little investment on apple's part that they didn't care if it would fail. Putting a TV tuner card into a computer and creating black cases doesn't require a lot of effort.

The Newton, while not selling as well as Apple would have liked, I don't can be called a failure. The idea basically lives on to this day. PDAs caught on everywhere, and now almost everyone has one. Of course, only a small percentage of them are Apple products.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #30
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have wondered if the tablet is northing more than a larger itouch to tap the market of those cell phone users who want the apps, but are locked into a contract.

I know as soon as my contract is up I am getting an iphone.

Last edited by mykalberta; 01-19-2010 at 03:26 PM.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #31
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ditch View Post
Well I love Apple and own a lot of Apple products, but it is not like they haven't made failed products before. Pippin, Macintosh TV, Newton, I hear some people argue against Apple TV though I like it. I don't know how successful the macbook air has been, another product that people can be hot and cold on.
I'd say the only two items that are relevant to the current timeframe are the Apple TV and the Air. The Apple TV gets a bad rap in the states because there are so many other options to get streaming media (I'm thinking Roku). In canada however the Apple TV is a whole different ball game as it just isn't as easy to get digital content onto your tv. I know 4 people with them and everybody is in love with theirs. Sure it's locked up as all Mac products are, but there's always ways around that (cough).

The Air I don't know much about. I guess it serves a smaller demographic than the other Apple products (my guess is that market it people who travel a lot, don't need too much power and have a nice bankroll). The Air is cool, but in my eyes it is the worst apple product in many years.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #32
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really depends on your measurement of success if you're going to call the Air a failure. It was brought out as one of the first flash memory computers, was among the thinnest of any laptops, and had a screen that rivalled the top of the market. It was priced as just that - something people would buy if they wanted the latest and greatest. I see Apple turning their entire Macbook lineup into something than looks like the Air, all with time. Technologically, it was a breakthrough, and was never released with the hope of it dominating the market, so it's hard to say it was a failure.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #33
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
The Air I don't know much about. I guess it serves a smaller demographic than the other Apple products (my guess is that market it people who travel a lot, don't need too much power and have a nice bankroll). The Air is cool, but in my eyes it is the worst apple product in many years.
Yeah, the Air is such a flop that Dell aped the idea with their Adamo line (and managed to put in a crappier video card in the process, and then make it a pound heavier to boot...lol)

Considering the Air was introduced 2 years ago, its held up remarkably well in its segment of the market.

Last edited by sclitheroe; 01-19-2010 at 07:43 PM.
sclitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #34
rawr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastiche View Post
After the announcement would be a good time to go short on Apple.
I would say a better indication of what to do with Apple is their earnings announcement on Jan 25. I expect them to have another record quarter helped by the Christmas season. Regardless of this mythical tablet, Apple has incredible sales momentum led by the iPhone (the recent accounting rule changes on iPhone and Apple TV will help earnings substantially). I think Apple's a solid buy in the near term and the long term.
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #35
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
iPhone Multitasking?
Welcome to Android circa 2008. Full-fledged Flash 10.1 should be out on all smartphones except the iPhone by mid 2010, and then they'll have to play catch up again. I think long term, Android is the biggest threat to Apple they've seen in a while.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #36
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
I have wondered if the tablet is nothing more than a larger iPod touch to tap the market of those cell phone users who want the apps, but are locked into a contract.

I know as soon as my contract is up I am getting an iPhone.

Strange compulsion. I'm sorry.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #37
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apple's failures, according to me...

The Pippin Video game system 1995, $599, Internet connected, took 10 minutes to receive a chat message.

The Lisa - Innovative for 1983, Cost $10,000

iMac/Powermac G3 Mouse - Still have one. You think the mighty mouse is bad?

G4 Cube - 2000, way too expensive and had an external power supply that was bigger than the machine.

The Quicktake 1994, 0.3 megapixels, 24 pictures, slower than molasses, $750

You may see the following on some people's lists:

Macintosh TV, Newton and Mac Portable.

They were not terrible products per say, just way ahead of technology at the time.

The interesting thing, Steve Jobs was not around for most of Apple's failures.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #38
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

The iRack didn't do to well either.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #39
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

For someone who already owns a macbook and an iphone (like me), what could this new tablet really provide in terms of functionality? I dont think I have a real interest in another device. The iphone update I am very excited about though. Great device.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:48 AM   #40
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Businessweek reports that Apple and Microsoft are currently in negotiations to replace Google as the default search engine on the iPhone with Microsoft's Bing.com. The talks have reportedly been underway for weeks.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/20/...ine-on-iphone/