Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2024, 08:24 AM   #7681
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I just finished Trail in the Sky SC after over 100 hours of gameplay, and it never felt slow or tiresome like the first game.

I want to start the 3rd right away although I don't think it can live up to SC's story.
Having played through all the games up to Trails into Reverie, you still have a long road ahead of you . But it's a great journey. I've never seen a series that spanned so many games. It dragged out at times, and the power of friendship is often real cringe and overbearing, but it's at its jrpg cringe best, and I'm all for it lol.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 10:03 AM   #7682
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Just getting through the prologue/intro is such a chore. I mean, it's a pretty long go for most of the MGS games, but cutscenes seem a lot less aggravating than slowly crawling through that hospital or whatever. At least let me just watch vs mindless "gameplay" for what feels like an hour
No sooner that I bring up this topic, that a miracle happens. Might have had something to do with the strain of weed I had last night that gave me super focus powers and glued me to the couch, but I managed to finally make it past the prologue and into the actual game. 5 hours in and it's actually pretty fun .

I take back what I said earlier. Pretty fun game once it gets going. Just have to make it past the first few hours. Almost a decade later, but better late than never.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 12:00 PM   #7683
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
No sooner that I bring up this topic, that a miracle happens. Might have had something to do with the strain of weed I had last night that gave me super focus powers and glued me to the couch, but I managed to finally make it past the prologue and into the actual game. 5 hours in and it's actually pretty fun .

I take back what I said earlier. Pretty fun game once it gets going. Just have to make it past the first few hours. Almost a decade later, but better late than never.
Welp, looks like I'm bringing out the ol' "big humidor of weed" for some MGS V.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 12:19 PM   #7684
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hell, I'll give it another go too. Why not
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 09:28 PM   #7685
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So is Helldivers unplayable without a full squad? Fired it up for the first time today, dropped into the first mission, and was immediately swarmed by bugs and killed over and over. I figured the difficulty would adjust for how many players are in the game, or at least matchmake you with other players if you need 4. Also holy hell are the controls clunky on PC, so many buttons to remember. First game impressions are not good
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 11:22 AM   #7686
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am dying to play this on my PS5! I am a big turn based nerd but on my budget it will have to wait for a long time until it comes down in price.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 01:02 PM   #7687
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I am dying to play this on my PS5! I am a big turn based nerd but on my budget it will have to wait for a long time until it comes down in price.
I'll be worth the wait. It's got the best parts of Fire Emblem and Ogre Battle.

I wish they had a PC port but I'm playing on Switch and it looks great. I don't know if it's any better on the other consoles.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 03-10-2024 at 05:48 PM.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 09:52 PM   #7688
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll be worth the wait. It's got the best parts of Fire Emblem and Ogre Battle.

I wish they had a PC port but I'm playing on Switch and it looks great. I don't know if it's any better on the other consoles.
I'm not sure if there will be one. 13 Sentinels didn't have on right? Vanilla ware doesn't do that normally I don't think.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 10:07 PM   #7689
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I'm not sure if there will be one. 13 Sentinels didn't have on right? Vanilla ware doesn't do that normally I don't think.
They say there's no plans for one. I bought it on Switch and I'm playing it emulated on Steam Deck. That's close enough for me.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:26 PM   #7690
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So is Helldivers unplayable without a full squad? Fired it up for the first time today, dropped into the first mission, and was immediately swarmed by bugs and killed over and over. I figured the difficulty would adjust for how many players are in the game, or at least matchmake you with other players if you need 4. Also holy hell are the controls clunky on PC, so many buttons to remember. First game impressions are not good
There is a learning curve, I tried on mouse and keyboard for a bit and just said #### it and started using the controller and found it was much more enjoyable that way.

As for the difficulty, I haven't had an issue with playing solo yet. But I have yet to play anything higher than medium difficulty at the moment.

My one piece of advice is use your stratagems regularly. The orbital strike is great for taking out nests and factories. I use the resupply as often as possible.

Last edited by Since1984; 03-10-2024 at 10:51 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 10:03 AM   #7691
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
What setting were you playing on?

The difficulty adjustment would take place before you start the mission with you controlling it.

It is a bit of a piss off though if you set it to Medium and then 3 randoms drop in, because ya it would have been nice to play a few difficulties up with a full squad.

Once you start unlocking some more strategems it gets better as well. I'd get that guard dog one first if you are playing a lot of solo, it helps keep the little guys off you while you focus on the objective/bigger threats.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:44 PM   #7692
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I find the game to be immensely boring at anything lower than hard (5) plus you can't unlock several things at lower difficulties.

I don't think there are many controls to remember. It's the same as any other 3rd person shooter only with the addition of the map button being essential and a strategms button.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:54 PM   #7693
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

If you need a new chill game to play look no further.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 08:36 AM   #7694
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

^^ I love stuff like that. I know the rise of AI will mean a bunch of trash, but I wonder how hard something like that will be to create in a few years for a weekend warrior hobby person.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 11:59 AM   #7695
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
^^ I love stuff like that. I know the rise of AI will mean a bunch of trash, but I wonder how hard something like that will be to create in a few years for a weekend warrior hobby person.
I know it's easier now because of tools like Unity but this guy has industry experience so who knows how long this game would take a novice to make.

I took computer science because I wanted to make games but I quit before I could get in the industry. I'm glad I did now because I see how gruelling it is. I would love to get back in and make my own games again but I barely have time to play so I doubt that will happen.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:10 PM   #7696
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Currently it would be unfeasible for a novice to figure all that out without a serious time investment bordering on insane. In 3 years though? Might be interesting to see where we're at in 3 years.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:16 PM   #7697
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:42 PM   #7698
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I hate how tilt shift feels like a complete hack into my brain.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:34 PM   #7699
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Here's another guy who quit his job making AAA games to make an indie game with his wife. EastShade is about exploring and painting. It's relaxing and beautiful. It's also 50% off in the Steam Spring Sale.

Old 03-17-2024, 01:53 PM   #7700
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

^^ I feel like this has to start happening a ton. We're so close with the tools and the video game industry is basically run by Ebeneezer Scrooge before his enlightenment. To even want to make games is essentially an exercise in masochism. There has got to be a way people can make a living off it and not have to kill themselves to do so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post: