Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default Heads Up: Steve Jobs Featured on Bloomberg Game Changers

This is just a courtesy heads up that Steve Jobs is being featured, this Thursday at 9:00PM ET on Bloomberg TV...

Quote:
How did this college dropout create what has been called the most admired company in the world? This week's episode of "Bloomberg Game Changers" reveals the many layers of the intensely private Steve Jobs - from his style of leadership and management to his creative process.

From the start-up years in the Jobs' family garage to his recent transplant surgery and release of the revolutionary iPad, Bloomberg Television's one-hour special examines Job's early success and subsequent exile from Apple, his failure at NeXT, his redemption at Pixar and his triumphant return to the company he created.

Featuring interviews with Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak; former Apple CEO John Scully; journalist turned venture capitalist Michael Moritz; Dreamworks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg; former Apple "Mac Evangelist" and Silicon Valley entrepreneur Guy Kawasaki and Robert X Cringely, technology journalist and former Apple employee.
I don't like that it's all just people that Jobs has worked with. I'd like to hear from some of the outside people, too. Maybe even a few enemies. Hopefully they focus more on the business side of things, instead of the personality stuff.

Anyhoo... Flame away.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 01:07 AM   #2
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ever since Job's was replaced by a lizard shapeshifter, Apple has done pretty good.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
This is just a courtesy heads up that Steve Jobs is being featured, this Thursday at 9:00PM ET on Bloomberg TV....

Quote:
Anyhoo... Flame away.
done
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if he'll wear a grey sweater.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Old 10-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

cue the 1995 era stonewashed jeans
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Fortune Magazine: The 50 Smartest People in Tech (2010)

Quote:
Smartest CEO: Steve Jobs
CEO, Apple

When Steve Jobs returned to Apple in 1997 after a 12-year exile, the company was close to bankruptcy. Thirteen years later it has a market cap of $250 billion and is the world's most valuable tech company, transforming whole industries along the way. iTunes reinvented music. Pixar, now part of Disney, elevated animated films. The iPhone changed telecom. And the new iPad has other computer makers scrambling to respond. Rocking one industry could be luck, but upending four? That's smart.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/...une/index.html
Quote:
Smartest Designer: Jonathan Ive
Senior VP of Industrial Design, Apple

Steve Jobs dreamed up the iPhone, but Jonathan Ive created it. As Apple's senior vice president of industrial design, Ive, 43, is an expert at manufacturing lust. Like his boss, he is a perfectionist who leads a small team working in near secrecy. Most Apple employees aren't allowed in his studio. From the iPod to the iPhone to the iPad, his contributions have set the course not just for Apple but for design more broadly.

Anyone strolling through New York City's Museum of Modern Art or the Georges Pompidou Center in Paris will come across early versions of his iconic products. But unlike most of the other innovators in those museums, Ive has been able to translate his brilliance into designs that are loved by the masses--and his demanding boss. Very smart indeed.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/...fortune/6.html
Old 10-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but here it is...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Well that's messed up. I sure hope there's a part 3 and 4 somewhere...
Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #10
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Robert X Cringley in the first video? I'll be watching that.

Next time title it as "Robert X Cringley featured in another lame Steve Jobs thing"
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #11
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well that's messed up. I sure hope there's a part 3 and 4 somewhere...
part 3
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2010, 12:22 AM   #12
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Awesome, thanks! I looked for a bit then gave up.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #13
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Carry on worshipping, minions. :P

Huge fan of Steve Woz, always hated Steve Jobs. Couldn't ever stand his personality and constant marketing speak. I hope that video shows how he ripped off his best friend and the guy who actually did most of the work for the pair at Atari and who actually made the Apple computer because Jobs was a greedy, selfish, lying prick...but I guess that's what makes him successful.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-15-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Are you butthurt H&L because you're related to the Woz?

I own a mac, iphone and an ipod, but wouldn't say that I'm a minion, as I don't actually care about nerdy things, I just want to do my thing, and Apple makes well made products.

Now that there is a store here, their customer service is great, as I remember having to ship my Dell to freaking Mulletville, where they just sold me a new cord (not on warranty) and charged me $400. Oh, and they just had the computer left on my doorstep, no signature, or anything, $3000 computer left out on the step all day.

Now, If I have a problem, I take it to the store and have someone figure it out right there. Not to mention, they don't weasel on their warranty, like the losers at Dell did. Dell took $500 extra from me to upgrade the screen when I ordered. When I looked behind the screen trim, guess what? un-upgraded screen. I had to hound those pricks for two months to get a refund.
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Full video, 48 mins in length (all 4 parts): http://www.bloomberg.com/video/63722844/
Old 10-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by algernon View Post
Are you butthurt H&L because you're related to the Woz?

I own a mac, iphone and an ipod, but wouldn't say that I'm a minion, as I don't actually care about nerdy things, I just want to do my thing, and Apple makes well made products.

Now that there is a store here, their customer service is great, as I remember having to ship my Dell to freaking Mulletville, where they just sold me a new cord (not on warranty) and charged me $400. Oh, and they just had the computer left on my doorstep, no signature, or anything, $3000 computer left out on the step all day.

Now, If I have a problem, I take it to the store and have someone figure it out right there. Not to mention, they don't weasel on their warranty, like the losers at Dell did. Dell took $500 extra from me to upgrade the screen when I ordered. When I looked behind the screen trim, guess what? un-upgraded screen. I had to hound those pricks for two months to get a refund.
I'm not saying anything about the company, I'm typing this on an Apple keyboard right now...I'm saying that Steve Jobs is a dishonest prick. That said, the Genius Bar failed spectacularily when we tried to figure out what was wrong with my mom's iphone and the idiot at the Genius Bar ended up erasing all her contacts and entire address book and it couldn't be re-synced as there is no backup (she doesn't use a computer with itunes).

What I am saying is that I can't stand Steve Jobs and he's the last person I'd look at to be an inspirational figure because of his past antics. It's like how some people can't stand Donald Trump's personality. But there is a reason both those guys are successful businessmen. His reality distortion field is just a cult of personality and constant marketing speak.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-15-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Official link to the show on Bloomberg, higher quality then YouTube

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/63722844/
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #18
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Carry on worshipping, minions. :P

Huge fan of Steve Woz, always hated Steve Jobs. Couldn't ever stand his personality and constant marketing speak. I hope that video shows how he ripped off his best friend and the guy who actually did most of the work for the pair at Atari and who actually made the Apple computer because Jobs was a greedy, selfish, lying prick...but I guess that's what makes him successful.
How did Jobs rip off Woz? I assume that’s who you’re talking about, if not ignore the rest...

but read Woz’s biography - dude wanted to sit around doing nothing more than build calculators at HP. Were it not for Jobs he wouldn’t have applied his talents to anything of consequence in the emerging PC world, made his fortune etc. Oh, should we mention he then left Apple to go build remotes...remotes! It was Job’s then ensured Woz was kept on the payroll and holds an honorary position at Apple complete with pay to this day.

I don’t think anyone ripped anyone off, but I do think one of them (Jobs) was an aggressive, expansionist businessman, the other was mostly interested in playing around with electronics and remaining a humble engineer. It was natural that one of them was going to end up monetarily more successful There is zero malice attributed towards Jobs in Woz’s biography.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #19
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm saying that Steve Jobs is a dishonest prick. That said, the Genius Bar failed spectacularily when we tried to figure out what was wrong with my mom's iphone and the idiot at the Genius Bar ended up erasing all her contacts and entire address book and it couldn't be re-synced as there is no backup (she doesn't use a computer with itunes).
Hahaha...so Jobs is a prick because your mom doesn’t back up the data on her iPhone. I love it
Old 10-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #20
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

and Apple does say to back up your stuff before coming to genius bar :P
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote