Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #3381
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Is there a schedule posted of when the new interchange on Stoney and 14th ST is going to be finished?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #3382
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Is there a schedule posted of when the new interchange on Stoney and 14th ST is going to be finished?
That's a City project rather than Provincial. Their website (below) seems to indicate Summer 2021 for opening.

https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...-projects.html
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #3383
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely a city interchange to take 2 years when 4 ramps were already built and grading for the bridge already done.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #3384
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I lived in Silverado until 2018. The best way to get in and out of Silverado once the ring road is complete will become the connection to Spruce Meadows. That is a full interchange and you can go east or west at your leisure.

Taking 194th is a bit longer to get to the freeway and you have fairly long wait to turn left on McLeod.

We live south of Silverado. Our future connections to EB Stoney will be going east/west on 194th to either McLeod or Spruce Meadows then going north to Stoney. Getting onto WB Stoney is easier by going north on Sheriff King or Spruce Meadows.

Judging from construction, I'd say they'll be closing access to SB Sheriff King in the fall from Stoney. We'd have to go to Spruce Meadows then south, or turn south on McLeod from Stoney.

The Stoney WB to SB McLeod off ramp/loop looks nowhere close to completion, but the WB Stoney to SB Spruce Meadows looks closer. One of those will have to be finished soon because there seems to be a lot of traffic going from WB Stoney to SB Sheriff King right now.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob-loblaw For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 07:19 PM   #3385
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bob did you attend any of the open houses? Some of them got pretty testy around the configuration at Sheriff King and Stoney.

What really annoyed me was that the city went and spent a fortune on building 194th out to McLeod and didn't have plans to build to Spruce Meadows.

I'm glad they got it right in the end.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:40 PM   #3386
RussianSpy
Draft Pick

Does anyone know anything about the traffic lights on Highway 22 at 53 Ave that aren’t currently operational, but are new? They appear to be on what will be the westbound lanes where you would turn south to go to Tanbridge Academy, or north to an RV storage facility.

The province can’t actually be doing all this work to free-flow traffic and then add a traffic light there, can they?

I can’t seem to find a map that shows the final build that far west.
RussianSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:04 PM   #3387
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianSpy View Post
Does anyone know anything about the traffic lights on Highway 22 at 53 Ave that aren’t currently operational, but are new? They appear to be on what will be the westbound lanes where you would turn south to go to Tanbridge Academy, or north to an RV storage facility.

The province can’t actually be doing all this work to free-flow traffic and then add a traffic light there, can they?

I can’t seem to find a map that shows the final build that far west.
I'm not telling you anything
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 10:46 PM   #3388
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianSpy View Post
That would be the city of Calgary. The free-flow work the province is doing is for the ring road. 22X being a freeway west of the ring is not part of anybody's plan nor required.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:07 AM   #3389
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
That would be the city of Calgary. The free-flow work the province is doing is for the ring road. 22X being a freeway west of the ring is not part of anybody's plan nor required.
So is the actual plan a stop light on the highway? I’m not really surprised, but just want to know if that stupidity is what we’re going to see.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:15 AM   #3390
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So is the actual plan a stop light on the highway? I’m not really surprised, but just want to know if that stupidity is what we’re going to see.
I'm never down there, is there enough traffic to justify a set of lights?
Old 08-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #3391
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I'm never down there, is there enough traffic to justify a set of lights?
I really only go east/west there, and I don’t think there’s much of anything to go north/south to? It seems like it would be a pointless intersection, but given that they’re rebuilding and have installed lights, they must be adding them.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #3392
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

They've started on the Alpine Park development in the Providence area structure plan. It's likely for access to that in the future
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #3393
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
They've started on the Alpine Park development in the Providence area structure plan. It's likely for access to that in the future
That makes sense.

Also, I swung by 69 Street this morning, they still have to build the whole west half of the interchange. So even if traffic goes over the bridge soon it wouldn't be fully done. That said, they're clearly making good time there and at Macleod/22X as well, and on seemingly everything else due for next October.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #3394
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Bob did you attend any of the open houses? Some of them got pretty testy around the configuration at Sheriff King and Stoney.

What really annoyed me was that the city went and spent a fortune on building 194th out to McLeod and didn't have plans to build to Spruce Meadows.

I'm glad they got it right in the end.
I didn't attend any of them because we moved here about a year ago from Auburn Bay.

I'm fine with how it's been planned over here with just the two access points to Stoney, but I could see long-time residents from Silverado or the residents north of Stoney not liking the change.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #3395
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when north Stoney Trail was first opened, there was a set of lights at Centre St. It was later replaced with an interchange, so I imagine that the lights you're referring to are also a temporary measure.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:26 PM   #3396
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I remember when north Stoney Trail was first opened, there was a set of lights at Centre St. It was later replaced with an interchange, so I imagine that the lights you're referring to are also a temporary measure.
Stoney NW didn't technically "open" till 2009, at which point the Centre St interchange was done... so that was more of a work in progress. 194/Macleod on the other hand, the city has no money for it, hasn't done a study, and has no timeline as to when they might have money for it.

Edit: not sure if you were referring to 22X/53 St - unless Treaty 7 changes I cannot imagine an interchange being required there... ever. Definitely no plans for one.

Last edited by Acey; 08-21-2020 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:23 AM   #3397
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where’s Alpine Park being built though? I drove past the 22x/53rd intersection again last night and it’s pretty far out from where things are currently. At this point, there’s an RV storage on the north and I think Red Deer Lake school on the south side of the highway.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:39 AM   #3398
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Traffic could be going over the 69 St bridge over Glenmore as early as this morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Where’s Alpine Park being built though? I drove past the 22x/53rd intersection again last night and it’s pretty far out from where things are currently. At this point, there’s an RV storage on the north and I think Red Deer Lake school on the south side of the highway.
I recall seeing a map that has it bound by 146 Ave SW, 53 St SW, Stoney Trail, and 22X. It would be a very long time before that's fully built out.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #3399
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was checking out the interesection improvements that the City has planned at Richmond Road and was pretty disappointed. I gather nothing is planned at Bow Trail? That whole west end of the city is going to be a complete disaster for the 3-4 years it takes to get the West Ring Road completed.

https://www.calgary.ca/content/dam/w...pring-2020.pdf

Last edited by Nancy; 08-22-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #3400
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah nothing is planned at Bow Trail. Sarcee is going to suck for a year, then suck really bad next October when Stoney opens up all the way down to 22X. For Signal Hill, Glamorgan, and Glenbrook, all they get is a huge bump in Sarcee traffic, with no other benefit. The city has done preliminary work designing a Richmond Rd/Sarcee interchange but has no money.

Through October we'll see for sure but you can definitely say that Crowchild and 14 Street are winners, and Sarcee is a loser. Big time. There's still a chance the ring is done in 2023, depends how quickly the province can sort out their issue with an Enmax powerline and set a firm date for completion.