Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #4741
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Except that Backlund has better possession stats accrued while taking significantly more defensive zone draws. In a comparison with Turris I'd say that Backlund more then makes up that 10 point production deficit with surplus defensive value.
Maybe in theory or in a perfect world but points hold more value at a negotiating table. It closes the gap a bit but not all the way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #4742
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would take Turris over Backlund imo!
Old 12-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #4743
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
I would take Turris over Backlund imo!
Bold statement around these parts... I disagree with you. But out of curiosity, why would you take Turris over Backs?
Old 12-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #4744
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Bold statement around these parts... I disagree with you. But out of curiosity, why would you take Turris over Backs?
Well they are both very good players i just like the offensive upside of Turris.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #4745
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would also take Turris over Backlund, unless Backlund could be signed at a more reasonable price.

It would be really nice to have another 60 point player on the Flames. As of now, only 2 players can get over 55 points.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #4746
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get the feeling Backlund won't be a Flame in the near future.

I also wonder if things go south tonight in Vancouver if Treliving fires the trade gun before the Xmas freeze on the 19th. Good time as any, get some blood in before the Xmas break and get the 2nd half of the season rolling with some hope that the new players can jump in and contribute fast.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #4747
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Definitely Turris over Backlund.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #4748
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

I also wonder if things go south tonight in Vancouver if Treliving fires the trade gun before the Xmas freeze on the 19th. Good time as any, get some blood in before the Xmas break and get the 2nd half of the season rolling with some hope that the new players can jump in and contribute fast.
Probably not considering Burke starts his Xmas trade freeze earlier than the rest of the league.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #4749
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Probably not considering Burke starts his Xmas trade freeze earlier than the rest of the league.
Only thing I can think of as to why they would buck the Burkie trend: Desperate times call for desperate measures. You're likely right with that Burke reminder but I personally cannot think of perhaps a better time to shake it up.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #4750
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
He fired Feaster and co at a similar date in 2013.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #4751
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
He fired Feaster and co at a similar date in 2013.
He never said anything about it being for the benefit of management. Always said it was for the players and their families.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #4752
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Maybe in theory or in a perfect world but points hold more value at a negotiating table. It closes the gap a bit but not all the way.
You are probably right in that regard. However, Turris only has a single season of 60+ points, a couple of seasons of 50+ points, and the rest has been 30 or under. Backlund hit a high of 53 points last season, 47 the season before that, and 27 and 39 the prior years in injury shortened seasons.

I think it is probably safe to say that Backlund is a ~50 pt center at this point, and Turris got paid to be a... 60pt center?

I don't think I take Turris based on prior performances. I take Backlund given that the ~10 or so points he scores he manages to remain a plus player even though he is tasked with the hardest match-ups on the team. Turris has been a minus the last 2 seasons prior to getting traded. There is value there.

To me, Backlund is deserving of a Turris contract. With that being said, Turris has apparently found a really good situation in Nashville and is a PPG player there thus far (small sample size be damned). If Turris keeps it up, then he will be on a bargain contract.

However, I take Backlund over Ottawa Turris every day of the week, and feel he is the more valuable player. I will gladly take 5-10 points less a season if it means he takes the toughest match-ups, outscores the top lines while doing so, and allows the top line in Calgary to see easier minutes and have a better chance to out-score the opposition.

Anything over 6 million I start to waffle a bit, but 6 years at 6 million a year for what Backlund provides is definitely a fair deal. Not wonderful, not a home-town discount, but a fair one.

Personally, I think if the Flames reduce Backlund's defensive zone starts and give him some easy minutes and assignments, his offence would respond really well. Unfortunately there is nobody on the team that can do what he does right now. I think he deserves 6.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #4753
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

According to Eklund (yeah, I know) Calgary is talking to the Sens re Mike Hoffman.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #4754
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
According to Eklund (yeah, I know) Calgary is talking to the Sens re Mike Hoffman.
Mike Hoffman is exactly the type of player this team needs. However a player of his caliber doesn't come cheap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #4755
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
I would prefer the Flames went hard after Stone. Way better fit for the team. And yes, the cost would be substantial. I would be thinking Backlund, Brodie, and couple of prospects (Shinkaruk and Kylington) for Stone and Ceci, with the Sens including a couple of minor leaguers for balance.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #4756
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I would prefer the Flames went hard after Stone. Way better fit for the team. And yes, the cost would be substantial. I would be thinking Backlund, Brodie, and couple of prospects (Shinkaruk and Kylington) for Stone and Ceci, with the Sens including a couple of minor leaguers for balance.
That is a pretty reasonable deal but weakens the Flames enter depth substantially unless they flip a winger or another D for a centre?

Does Bennett go back down the middle in this scenario?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #4757
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I don't think Ottawa would move Stone. He's young enough that he'd be viewed as part of things going forward.

Hoffman would be cool, and his contract lines up pretty closely with Treliving's seemingly defined "first window".
Old 12-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #4758
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman already said he gets the sense that Ottawa won't move Stone even if they decide to blow up the team.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #4759
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund is a asset of little value to the Sens so i doubt he's on the table.

If the flames do decide to part ways with backlund before the trade deadline, it would be as a rental for a team going all in as a cup contender this year (who couldn't use more depth at Center??). That being said, i think it's a far likelier situation where he plays out his contract, and deals with his future status in the offseason.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #4760
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I bet Eklund read that thread on HFBoards about the Flames and Mike Hoffman and just started writing.

Closed Thread