Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #321
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #322
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #323
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Ok I think people have had a chance to watch by now and we're on a new page so I'm not using spoiler tags anymore. People who aren't watching the trailer shouldn't be in a discussion thread.

I thought it was interesting that each voiceover would end and then cut to the other person.

Snoke narrates (with images of Kylo) then it cuts to Rey, Luke narrates (with images of Rey) then it cuts to Kylo.

I think we're definitely going to see a real focus on the duality of Rey and Kylo. The heroes and villains won't be as clear as we've seen in previous good/evil movies. I think they'll both flirt with changing sides and there'll be a lot of comparison between their paths and how close each one is to crossing over to the other side.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-10-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #324
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Loved the trailer, I can't wait. Lukes scenes looked great, and Rey
looks to be the beast power wise I hoped she would be.

It would be interesting if Rey finds a way to walk both the light and dark side.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #325
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Spoiler!
Hmmm...

Spoiler!

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-10-2017 at 12:51 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #326
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ohhhhhh dammmmn.

Man I dunno. I love the ambiguity they are putting in these trailers.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #327
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Hmmm...

Spoiler!
The franchise needs a main stream badass woman. Leia did not truly fit that, yes she was snarky and had sass but she was in need of rescue more than not. So I hope your right.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #328
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hmmm...

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #329
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Hmmm...

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #330
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

When he stated that he'd seen a great force power once before, I assumed that he was talking about Darth Vader, and that Rey has powers on that level.

I guess Kylo Renn might make more sense. I never really took Kylo as all that powerful, as he didn't really display all that much power in the Force Awakens. Kylo did have the ability to take down Luke and his Jedi Trainees though..

Could be pretty cool if they manage to pull of a Kylo/Ren swap. Kylo becomes good after being filled with remorse after killing his mother. Rey seeks revenge for injustices done to her as a child.

Last edited by blankall; 10-10-2017 at 02:01 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #331
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
When he stated that he'd seen a great force power once before, I assumed that he was talking about Darth Vader, and that Rey has powers on that level.

I guess Kylo Renn might make more sense. I never really took Kylo as all that powerful, as he didn't really display all that much power in the Force Awakens. Kylo did have the ability to take down Luke and his Jedi Trainees though..

Could be pretty cool if they manage to pull of a Kylo/Ren swap. Kylo becomes good after being filled with remorse after killing his mother. Rey seeks revenge for injustices done to her as a child.
Luke's been exposed to very few force users and all have been amazingly powerful.

Yoda - Though he was old he was still powerful, but the Yoda that Luke encountered probably wasn't as powerful as the Yoda in the prequels

Vader - As Anakin Skywalker he was the most powerful force user of his time, the chosen one, if he hadn't been damaged by Obi-Wan he might have very quickly moved on Palpatine and killed him. But as Vader while still powerful he was an echo of what he used to be.

Ben Kenobi - Again powerful however he was not in the same league as Vader, Yoda or my final guest. He beat Anakin because Anakin was still conflicted and not yet fully Darth Vader.

Palpatine - He was described as a black hole in the force in the novel Revenge of the Sith, Dooku described him as an event horizon or pure darkness. He was the embodiment of the dark side, and it could be argued that while Anakin was the chosen one who would bring balance to the force, Palpatine was the Avatar who would plunge it into darkness.

Luke himself was supposedly pretty powerful and it could be argued that he was the unique force user who could embody the dark and light side of the force, there's also the argument that the prophesy of the chosen one referred to Luke. He never received proper training so we don't know how powerful he could really become. But in the end it wasn't his abilities with the force that made him powerful because I would argue that Palpatine would have wiped the floor with him, but his compassion and determination.

But if Luke and Snoke were talking about great power, I would argue that the Great power is at the level of a Yoda or Palpatine who were virtually mirrors of each other.

I think Kylo is probably pretty powerful as well, but again I go back to the Snoke is a bit of a con as he wasn't very well trained, and while he desperately wants to be like his grandfather, he's got too much of his mother in him.

In Star Wars Lore they talk about the great sacrifices that the Sith make to open themselves to the Dark Side

In legends EU, Palpatine murdered his family.

Vader murdered Jedi and killed his wife

Count Dooku betrayed the Jedi and probably murdered Sifo-Dyas

Kylo certainly sacrificed his father, but it dosen't look like its firmly put him on the path of the Dark Side.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #332
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Luke's been exposed to very few force users and all have been amazingly powerful.

Yoda - Though he was old he was still powerful, but the Yoda that Luke encountered probably wasn't as powerful as the Yoda in the prequels

Vader - As Anakin Skywalker he was the most powerful force user of his time, the chosen one, if he hadn't been damaged by Obi-Wan he might have very quickly moved on Palpatine and killed him. But as Vader while still powerful he was an echo of what he used to be.

Ben Kenobi - Again powerful however he was not in the same league as Vader, Yoda or my final guest. He beat Anakin because Anakin was still conflicted and not yet fully Darth Vader.

Palpatine - He was described as a black hole in the force in the novel Revenge of the Sith, Dooku described him as an event horizon or pure darkness. He was the embodiment of the dark side, and it could be argued that while Anakin was the chosen one who would bring balance to the force, Palpatine was the Avatar who would plunge it into darkness.

Luke himself was supposedly pretty powerful and it could be argued that he was the unique force user who could embody the dark and light side of the force, there's also the argument that the prophesy of the chosen one referred to Luke. He never received proper training so we don't know how powerful he could really become. But in the end it wasn't his abilities with the force that made him powerful because I would argue that Palpatine would have wiped the floor with him, but his compassion and determination.

But if Luke and Snoke were talking about great power, I would argue that the Great power is at the level of a Yoda or Palpatine who were virtually mirrors of each other.

I think Kylo is probably pretty powerful as well, but again I go back to the Snoke is a bit of a con as he wasn't very well trained, and while he desperately wants to be like his grandfather, he's got too much of his mother in him.

In Star Wars Lore they talk about the great sacrifices that the Sith make to open themselves to the Dark Side

In legends EU, Palpatine murdered his family.

Vader murdered Jedi and killed his wife

Count Dooku betrayed the Jedi and probably murdered Sifo-Dyas

Kylo certainly sacrificed his father, but it dosen't look like its firmly put him on the path of the Dark Side.

I was always under the impression that Vader was supposed to have power that was considerably greater than all the existing Jedis/Sith. Hence why he was such a powerful weapon against he Jedi.

What held him back was the fact that he was psychologically controlled by Palpatine, and bound by his own negative emotions. His power levels were still high.

I'd agree that Luke has had exposure to relatively few force users. Which is why for him to be blown away by power, it'd have to be on Vader's level.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #333
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think there is a 0% chance Disney turns a princess into a tyrant. Whether it would be a good story or not, politics and marketing still dictate some of the story.

She may have some intense struggles, but she will be a good guy throughout.

jmo
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #334
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I was always under the impression that Vader was supposed to have power that was considerably greater than all the existing Jedis/Sith. Hence why he was such a powerful weapon against he Jedi.

What held him back was the fact that he was psychologically controlled by Palpatine, and bound by his own negative emotions. His power levels were still high.

I'd agree that Luke has had exposure to relatively few force users. Which is why for him to be blown away by power, it'd have to be on Vader's level.
The Vader power thing is a source of constant debate among nerds

Anakin Skywalker was peerless in his power, even ignoring the whole stupid Midiclorians thing that was designed frankly to quantify how powerful someone is.

Among the powers that he had he also had prophesy which was a major part of his downfall.]

In the Revenge of the Sith book after his transformation he was described as a artist who had lost his ability to be a great artist, the power was there but beyond his reach. In the book dark lord which was sadly made legends, but was the best Vader book out there, he talked about his ability to peer through the force at future events as being burned out, his ability to do things like force jumps and the such severely hampered.

The things that made Palpatine happy were really three fold.

That Vader killed his wife, he just at that point realized that Palpatine was the only one who would ever accept him for the monster that he had become, a traitor, a murderer a man who killed the thing most dear to him. For their relationship based around eventual betrayal, Palpatine was the closest thing to a friend and a mentor that Anakan/Vader had

That Vader had been brutally injured and needed the suit to live. In Dark Lord they had a great conversation where Palpatine basically asked Vader why he wouldn't betray him and Palpatine made sure that Vader knew that he was completely vulnerable in that walking iron lung and . . . .

That Palpatine had lied so effectively that Vader believed that Palpatine was his path to greater knowledge and power.

If Anakin hadn't been injured, I doubt that Palpatine would have lived long and as powerful as Palpatine was, Anakin was probably more purely powerful though he certainly didn't have Palpatine's other gifts.

But Palpatine knew that Vader was psychologically and physically damaged to the point that while he was still powerful and frightening to nornal people, he was nothing more then a slave to Palpatine, which was ironic because Palpatines seduction of Vader was based around enough power to be free of constraints.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:12 AM   #335
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel the big challenge here is to write a plot twist in which was as stunning to the viewer to find out Vader was Luke's father. Also, later learning Leia was his sister. How do you top that?
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #336
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Snoke - "Luke never told you what happened to your family"

Rey - "He told me en . . . . wait he hasn't told me anything"

Snoke - "Well that ruins the dramatic pause dosen't it. Rey I . . . . know absolutely nothing about your family, they're completely un-related to what's happening here."

Rey - "That's impossible"

Snoke - "Search your feelings you know it to be true, for all we know they were a couple of janitors sweeping up at the Jedi School for gifted students"

Rey - " . . . . "

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #337
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
I feel the big challenge here is to write a plot twist in which was as stunning to the viewer to find out Vader was Luke's father. Also, later learning Leia was his sister. How do you top that?
I think it would be a mistake to think they have to top it. A twist doesn't have to be huge, just unexpected. A twist where a relatively minor character turncoats either way to cause a dramatic shift in power is just as, if not better, than massive major character twists.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #338
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Snoke - "Luke never told you what happened to your family"

Rey - "He told me en . . . . wait he hasn't told me anything"

Snoke - "Well that ruins the dramatic pause dosen't it. Rey I . . . . know absolutely nothing about your family, they're completely un-related to what's happening here."

Rey - "That's impossible"

Snoke - "Search your feelings you know it to be true, for all we know they were a couple of janitors sweeping up at the Jedi School for gifted students"

Rey - " . . . . "

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #339
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I think it would be a mistake to think they have to top it. A twist doesn't have to be huge, just unexpected. A twist where a relatively minor character turncoats either way to cause a dramatic shift in power is just as, if not better, than massive major character twists.
I know there has to be a twist, but why can't the twist be that there's no twist.

That Rey is just an anomaly, she's not related to anyone at all. She had a normal mother and father and she was born with extraordinary force power. I mean there have probably been millions of Jedi in the history of the GFFA and they're not related, and since the Jedi for the most part are like Monks its not like they breed. But Jedi prospects keep showing up.

Maybe if there was a twist and Rey goes to the darkside its because of circumstance. Luke took her away from her parents and then her parents were killed by Snoke in the some raid or another. That would make me want vengeance.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #340
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know there has to be a twist, but why can't the twist be that there's no twist.

That Rey is just an anomaly, she's not related to anyone at all. She had a normal mother and father and she was born with extraordinary force power. I mean there have probably been millions of Jedi in the history of the GFFA and they're not related, and since the Jedi for the most part are like Monks its not like they breed. But Jedi prospects keep showing up.

Maybe if there was a twist and Rey goes to the darkside its because of circumstance. Luke took her away from her parents and then her parents were killed by Snoke in the some raid or another. That would make me want vengeance.
It might be that for every natural "dark" side birth, there is a "light" birth somewhere in the galaxy to keep balance. Having Jedi's procreate creates an unnatural imbalance. Maybe Rey is just the balance to Leia and Hans kid.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote